• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
With helping the CPD to save face? I'd buy it

Oh yes, this entire debacle sure is them "saving face."

Every person with knowledge of the situation is saying there was enough evidence to prove Jussie is guilty except for himself. The reason he was let off according to Joe Magats is that they prioritize violent crime, and $10k and community service was acceptable to them as a punishment. This is also the story being told by the PD and Rahm except they DO NOT believe $10k and community service is enough of a punishment.

Unless anyone has any FACTS saying otherwise, you're engaging in pure Alex Jones level conspiracy mongering. The ENTIRE TOWN is in on it???

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, this entire debacle sure is them "saving face."

Every person with knowledge of the situation is saying there was enough evidence to prove Jussie is guilty except for himself. The reason he was let off according to Joe Magats is that they prioritize violent crime, and $10k and community service was acceptable to them as a punishment. This is also the story being told by the PD and Rahm except they DO NOT believe $10k and community service is enough of a punishment.

Unless anyone has any FACTS saying otherwise, you're engaging in pure Alex Jones level conspiracy mongering. The ENTIRE TOWN is in on it???

All I'm saying is the level of leaking doesn't make me inclined to believe the CPD were on the up and up.... The only reason we "know" half the shit we "know" is because TMZ kept getting shit.

Text messages leaked, e-mails leaked, the check for the attack leaked... then oops turns out it wasn't for the attack.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This is true.

The actual issue is that his actions might make some who are real victims think twice about coming forward because they're worried that they won't be believed.

Thats not even a factor either. That pressure has always been present amongst victims. Esp women and women of color. It doesnt multiply nor factor over. Its just ever present and consistent and a sad part of the reality to report a sex/hate crime.

Sex assault is a rampant issue that happens daily, but false accusations that happen don't add more difficulty to the situation. That difficulty is present from the beginning. If someone was attacked, they aint thinkin about how Smollett was treated, they are thinking about how they will be treated themselves.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Is...

"The CPD screwed up the investigation so royally that even if Smollett did it, the case would be a complete shitshow so we're just calling a mulligan"

too outlandish a theory?

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Lol so basically technically he isn't guilty because before he got even tried, he paid $10k and did community service? Damn, son.

That's what it seems like.

I don't care if this went to trial and they ended up making the 10k and 16 hours of community service the sentence. The issue that I have is that he gets to go around claiming innocence and having his record cleared for what seems like no clear reason. Can you imagine if some south side kid did this? He'd be going to trial for sure.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Maybe Jussie team had something on the state attorney considering they had known each other for a long time and this was the nuclear option

This is too fishy

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Thats not even a factor either. That pressure has always been present amongst victims. Esp women and women of color. It doesnt multiply nor factor over. Its just ever present and consistent and a sad part of the reality to report a sex/hate crime.

Sex assault is a rampant issue that happens daily, but false accusations that happen don't add more difficulty to the situation. That difficulty is present from the beginning. If someone was attacked, they aint thinkin about how Smollett was treated, they are thinking about how they will be treated themselves.

I don't agree that it's "not even a factor." Obviously, it's not something that can be proven. But I fully believe that a situation like this, seeing that the largely racist original doubters of this case ended up being right about it being fake, can absolutely appear in the mind of someone who is legitimately a victim.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I don't agree that it's "not even a factor." Obviously, it's not something that can be proven. But I fully believe that a situation like this, seeing that the largely racist original doubters of this case ended up being right about it being fake, can absolutely appear in the mind of someone who is legitimately a victim.

I want to ask why liberals always seem to care about what racist people think? Why is it that I notice people always considering the thoughts of garbage individuals?

If someone is a legitimate victim, then they know what happened is the truth. The fear is about being accused of lying or others casting doubt on their claims. The fault lies with the fucked up doubters, not the victim.

No, the real problem is that sometimes the doubters and antagonizers are the same exact ones who's job is to investigate the case impartially. Thats the real issue.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not innocent, the cops completed their investigation and found strong evidence he faked it. The State Attorney's office looked at the case and decided it wasn't worth the effort to prosecute him, either because of the money that would be spent in the trial, the negative publicity that would hurt everyone involved with the case (CPD, Smollett, etc), perhaps it was a weak case that would be hard to prosecute, and the fact that Smollett is not a violent criminal and would be unlikely to offend again. Smollett is out 10 grand and some community service hours and the brothers won't get punished for anything beyond the night they spent in jail.
This. It's not that unusual to have a false report end up this way. Many false police reports don't actually get prosecuted, and get let go on a fine and/or community service. I remember a long time ago some woman faking herself being kidnapped and filing a false report, and she got a slap on the wrist. Ya'll remember that shit?

Found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_bride_case

Freaking lady even had the FBI involved and cost the state over 40 thousand dollars. She paid a 13k fine and nothing more.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
This. It's not that unusual to have a false report end up this way. Many false police reports don't actually get prosecuted, and get let go on a fine and/or community service. I remember a long time ago some woman faking herself being kidnapped and filing a false report, and she got a slap on the wrist. Ya'll remember that shit?

Found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_bride_case

Freaking lady even had the FBI involved and cost the state over 40 thousand dollars. She paid a 13k fine and nothing more.

Yeah but she had to admit guilt and accept a plea bargain to get that. Smollett should at least have to admit guilt

Last edited:

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
He's not innocent, the cops completed their investigation and found strong evidence he faked it. The State Attorney's office looked at the case and decided it wasn't worth the effort to prosecute him, either because of the money that would be spent in the trial, the negative publicity that would hurt everyone involved with the case (CPD, Smollett, etc), perhaps it was a weak case that would be hard to prosecute, and the fact that Smollett is not a violent criminal and would be unlikely to offend again. Smollett is out 10 grand and some community service hours and the brothers won't get punished for anything beyond the night they spent in jail.

This summary is accurate. Sometimes the simplest explanation is best.

I'm just kind meh about this guy going around proclaiming innocence vs at the very least some sort of apology.

Mod Post - On speculation and conspiracies.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is a convoluted situation with no immediately clear explanation. Please approach this topic with tact and respect. Stick to the information available and do not make irresponsible conjecture.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the recap

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Unless anyone has any FACTS saying otherwise, you're engaging in pure Alex Jones level conspiracy mongering

In this thread we've heard floated the idea that the Obamas tried to get Jussie off because a former aide to Michelle referred his case to the FBI.

At this point the best course of action for those of us observing this case from the outside should probably be to stop trying to litigate responsibility based on unclear statements and incomplete reporting and just wait for the people with the power and inclination to figure out what's going on to figure out what's going on.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rahm's issue is that a guy who refuses to admit his guilt is being let off and the police weren't consulted despite the state's attorney acknowledging that the accused is more than likely guilty. And on top of that they sealed it so the public can't see the real reasoning behind the decision.
Rahm is the last person that should be giving his opinion on justice or the State Attorney's office after what he did. He literally has no right, and no room to talk after he tried to hide the Laquan McDonald tape and released it only after the judge said had it. That was the time to talk about whitewashing justice, not when someone gets off on making a false police report. It's all for show and he's the last person that should be making a scene.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This summary is accurate. Sometimes the simplest explanation is best.

I'm just kind meh about this guy going around proclaiming innocence vs at the very least some sort of apology.
Wild conspiracy basically tries to explain some more basic issues that are systemic to the justice system in the dumbest way possible. I personally do believe money played into the outcome, but not through shifty bribes, soros/obama linked nonsense people are peddling but simply better representation. Guy shacked up with Geragos who has seen some real high profile shit, I don't doubt this will sour things for people but I mean yeah justice is one sided for people with means, that's never been in dispute given how a strong defense will get you out the door over some overburdened civil lawyer appointed to you.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Rahm is the last person that should be giving his opinion on justice or the State Attorney's office after what he did. He literally has no right, and no room to talk after he tried to hide the Laquan McDonald tape and released it only after the judge said had it. That was the time to talk about whitewashing justice, not when someone gets off on making a false police report. It's all for show and he's the last person that should be making a scene.
What he did was a bit more dire than falsifying a police report. He was indicted on 16 charges. And what he did, from a social perspective, was fucking heinous. But no argument about Rahm. Dude is a straight up scumbag.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That isn't remotely what I'm doing. You misunderstood what I said.

No it was pretty clear.

I mean, newsflash: Even if Smollett was telling the truth, the racists wouldn't believe him. There's no reason to worry that racists will use this story to not believe the next victim because they're never going to believe the next victim. Worry about what racists are thinking about this case is futile.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No it was pretty clear.

Apparently not.

I mean, newsflash: Even if Smollett was telling the truth, the racists wouldn't believe him. There's no reason to worry that racists will use this story to not believe the next victim because they're never going to believe the next victim. Worry about what racists are thinking about this case is futile.

It isn't about simply not being believed. It's about the public shame and harassment. But you're narrowing it down "don't worry about them," as if it's something that can easily be ignored by the victim who wants to tell his or her story about a hate crime.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is justice, but it has been amusing comparing conservative reaction to this to the one for Trump not being charged with obstruction.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the consensus of this situation? i havent been following too closely?

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to ask why liberals always seem to care about what racist people think? Why is it that I notice people always considering the thoughts of garbage individuals?

If someone is a legitimate victim, then they know what happened is the truth. The fear is about being accused of lying or others casting doubt on their claims. The fault lies with the fucked up doubters, not the victim.

No, the real problem is that sometimes the doubters and antagonizers are the same exact ones who's job is to investigate the case impartially. Thats the real issue.

That's exactly the issue I see. It wasn't like some trump supporting idiot was going to believe accusers but now that Jussie Smollett happened they won't.

The issue I see is the already biased and shitty police will be even more skeptical of minority victims. They'll be more likely to write the victims off or to disbelieve their story. And it's not like the police had a great track record with minority victims before this.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Mr. Magats said he dropped the charges after Mr. Smollett agreed to the community service and to give up the $10,000 he paid for his release, money that would have been returned to him if he had made all his court appearances. He also noted that Mr. Smollett had no previous criminal record and said that the dropping of the charges "didn't exonerate him."

So in other words he was fined 10k for his shenanigans. It's an unofficial plea deal accessible only to the privileged and anyone who thinks it's anything else is just kidding themselves.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charges dropped but not exonerated.
Jussie swears to keep up the good fight for the people he used as pawns to boost his popularity. The brothers? Who knows. Feds probably still looking at that fake anthax letter.

Thanks for the heads up. What a crazy situation

Oct 28, 2017
Will he sue the city for false imprisonment and slander? I just heard his BS statement on the radio and just doubled down on his "truth."

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
A near 1%er with moderate fame makes a deal, has charges dropped, and has documents sealed.

About time something normal happened in this case.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
So who dun goofed? The PD?

no? i mean the PD told its investigation results and it's pretty clear Smollett is guilty.

It's just that he didn't even go to trial because he just paid the $10k and did some community service for it.

and the prosecutor took those into consideration and figured that going to trial isn't worth it and $10k + community service was the "punishment".

Technically he isn't guilty on paper but yknow...

...I mean, really. This guy faked so many shit and went on TV creating drama doing a masquerade of a show to get noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.