• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree that it's "not even a factor." Obviously, it's not something that can be proven. But I fully believe that a situation like this, seeing that the largely racist original doubters of this case ended up being right about it being fake, can absolutely appear in the mind of someone who is legitimately a victim.
But to them, it's an impossible hurdle. Michael Brown was in the wrong, Trayvon was in the wrong. Everyone who is charged by the police is in the wrong. You can't change their thinking or their impossible requirements for innocence.

The larger problem is how reasonable people allow them to dominate the discussion. They say outrageous things, reasonable people allow it to shift the discussion. Jussie was completely guilty. Hell, there's a tweet where a dude called Michael Flynn a victim who committed a 'process crime' and Jussie as having 'privilege'.

I have always wondered how they got to 16 felony charges. The prosecutor doesn't even try for a plea deal. That's how bad it was. Jussie isn't sitting on millions. They could have wasted his money with a trial. How weak is the case to not even try for a plea?

But the conversation has been shifted. Now it's about how he's actually guilty. The mayor, corrupt fuck he is and the police chief from a racist department are making a fuss, and the prosecutor, who always has a cozy relationship with police are making statements and shifting the narrative. You can't change their thinking.

I am grouping them all together because I don't believe they are without bias. Racists hate a black man for 'getting away' with anything. Cops usually have a bunch of racists and I'm not giving the Chicago PD any credit when they have actual black sites for torture and the prosecutor wants his bread buttered and has immunity from civil suits. The prosecutor has no reason not to inflamed the situation.

The prosecutor couldn't even get a plea deal but has no problem with the evidence? If you can't get a plea deal, it means you have a problem with the evidence.

All this to say, we need to stop giving bad faith actors a platform. Fox is already switching to Jussie, a guy who makes 20k per episode. Yeah, a lot of money but not Johnny Cochran money. Jussie was happy for this to go away for 10k.

We've shifted away from real questions to that he was probably guilty.

My questions are: what actually happened, why were the charges dropped, why is Jussie acting innocent when he hasn't gotten to double jeopardy? They could roll him into court, still, and waste money while Jussie bleeds his bank account to the point he wants a plea. That happens everyday to black people.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
white·wash
/ˈ(h)wītˌwäSH,ˈ(h)wītˌwôSH/
noun
a solution of lime and water or of whiting, size, and water, used for painting walls white.
INFORMAL
a victory in a game in which the loser scores no points.

Wolven Hammer

Feb 26, 2018
Los Angeles, California
No one goofed, the State Attorney said he wasn't exonerated, they just decided that faking a hate crime essentially carries a penalty of some community service and $10k.

Meanwhile you can imagine someone in chicago just lost their son to the system today for a non violent drug charge though. Shit is not right.
no? i mean the PD told its investigation results and it's pretty clear Smollett is guilty.

It's just that he didn't even go to trial because he just paid the $10k and did some community service for it.

and the prosecutor took those into consideration and figured that going to trial isn't worth it and $10k + community service was the "punishment".

Technically he isn't guilty on paper but yknow...

...I mean, really. This guy faked so many shit and went on TV creating drama doing a masquerade of a show to get noticed.

Alright, thanks.

The dude's a piece of shit all the same for giving the right invaluable ammunition for years to come.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Monique's take seems pretty sensible to me. I think somewhere along the way the case fell apart and now the state is trying to save face.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
There's still the potential for federal charges for the fake anthrax letter
I think this is it. The feds are going to eat him alive for sending anthrax to himself so they told the city to back off.

Unless mentioning he sent anthrax to himself is not allowed, then forget I mentioned it.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I think this is it. The feds are going to eat him alive for sending anthrax to himself so they told the city to back off.

Unless mentioning he sent anthrax to himself is not allowed, then forget I mentioned it.
This is an interesting thought, but you would think the FBI would have swooped in pretty quick if he had mailed that letter to himself, no?

So those 2 brothers didnt beat him up?
No, they did. They even publicly apologised for their involvement in the hoax. I have to know what the hell happened behind the scenes to make a case this (seemingly) ironclad completely fall apart.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
So... Was this police mishandling or was there some issue with the 2 suspects?

Something clearly happened here. You don't just drop charges when a grand jury found him guilty on 16 separate counts.

Grand jury didn't find him guilty, they found there was enough evidence to try him

Grand juries almost always side with law enforcement - for better or for worse

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think the funny thing is he is walking around as if he is innocent. Some of his castmates are sounding real silly saying "we knew he was innocent all along" 🙄

Dude was not found "innocent"
To put it in a non offensive way that won't rile anyone up. The State Attorneys basically said "we have bigger fish to fry"

But the court of public opinion that don't believe his ass, will never forget.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The State Attorneys basically said "we have bigger fish to fry"

Surely they knew that before they charged him in the first place. They didn't just drop the charges in absence of a plea deal, they expunged his record (well technically the judge did), which was completely unnecessary if the goal was simply to stop wasting time and money.

Smollett isn't necessarily innocent, but somebody probably screwed up with this case and now that the record is sealed we'll never find out what happened.

Last edited:

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

State Attorney speaks after the 2:30 mark. Says he thinks Smollett is guilty but would rather focus on "violent crime" and that his community service/the bond he paid is enough.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Not knowing a lot about the law, the initial statement reads like they are saying they don't think a trial will produce anything better than the $100,000 bond they are getting to keep.

A false report to the police is supposed to end in you paying for the investigation. Maybe the $100,000 is pretty close to that.

In any event, this will follow him around forever. Wonder where he goes from here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

State Attorney speaks after the 2:30 mark. Says he thinks Smollett is guilty but would rather focus on "violent crime" and that his community service/the bond he paid is enough.

Guy splits a divide in the nation, does community service gets off no problem

I get caught with a QP of weed and I get locked up

I served more time in jail than Jussie Smollet smh

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
If it's not a violent crime in Chicago they will just let it go now? Such a weird message......

Oct 27, 2017
Not knowing a lot about the law, the initial statement reads like they are saying they don't think a trial will produce anything better than the $100,000 bond they are getting to keep.

A false report to the police is supposed to end in you paying for the investigation. Maybe the $100,000 is pretty close to that.

In any event, this will follow him around forever. Wonder where he goes from here.
He paid 10k. Allegedly.

Oct 25, 2017
Can yall quit with this dry ass narrative.

He didn't make shit harder, You either give respect to hear victims accusations out or you don't.

If you're the type to think about this case when someone is reporting a hate crime, then your're just a douchebag to begin with.

Yall keep trying to pretend that people listened to victims with 100% attention before all this and all of a sudden now Smollet broke the collective trust. It says alot more about you than it does Smollet.
period

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Can yall quit with this dry ass narrative.

He didn't make shit harder, You either give respect to hear victims accusations out or you don't.

If you're the type to think about this case when someone is reporting a hate crime, then your're just a douchebag to begin with.

Yall keep trying to pretend that people listened to victims with 100% attention before all this and all of a sudden now Smollet broke the collective trust. It says alot more about you than it does Smollet.
Those victims don't lie about their attacks and should get the attention this fucking idiot got.

Oct 28, 2017
"whitewash of justice" ?

I'm not sure. I only commented on it because of 1. how awkward it sounds and 2. how weirdly inappropriate it is in the story.

It technically makes sense. Etymologically, 'whitewashing' has nothing to do with race and simply refers to a situation in which a crime is covered up or normalised through a perfunctory investigation or biased presentation of the evidence. Obviously, it's taken on racial connotations more recently, which makes it a strange choice of wording in this case.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no doubt they think/know he's guilty. If they didn't, they'd be charging the two brothers since that would have been a violent crime (if it was real). Will be interesting now to see what lawyers for non-violent criminals in Chicago try to do now that a precedent has not only been set, but outlined clearly by the DA.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Mueller: won't prosecute for obstruction in obvious obstruction case
Chicago PD: won't prosecute for false statements in obvious false statements case

-What is wrong with law enforcement anymore? Why even have law enforcement or investigations?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"whitewash of justice" ?

I'm not sure. I only commented on it because of 1. how awkward it sounds and 2. how weirdly inappropriate it is in the story.

It's technically the correct word to use, but it's extremely ironic to hear this complaint from the very same mayor who helped the very same police department cover up the murder of a black teen.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Monique's take seems pretty sensible to me. I think somewhere along the way the case fell apart and now the state is trying to save face.

I agree with Monique's take. I mean, it just seems strange to me to go through the trouble of bringing this to a grand jury, getting him indicted on 16 different counts...only to then just walk away and not get him on anything. And with how leaky CPD has been with this case from day 1, leaking details every step of the way to cast doubt on Jussie's account, I doubt the suddenly tight lips and sealing of the case records is being done to make Jussie look good.

Also, Rahm Emanuel....cry more.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Mueller: won't prosecute for obstruction in obvious obstruction case
Chicago PD: won't prosecute for false statements in obvious false statements case

-What is wrong with law enforcement anymore? Why even have law enforcement or investigations?
While this case is pretty confusing we still don't have any idea of Mueller said about Trump's obstruction since all we have to go on right now is an incredibly slanted summary.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how long Trump is able to resist tweeting about this. I don't think he'll make it through the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.