• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I wish our politicians cared half as much about officer involved killings as they do about Jussie's victemless crime
This is it. I think what he did was shitty and awful, but as a Chicago resident these people need to keep this same energy for the real shit that's going left here. One of the biggest issues I have is they are talking about man hours and the cost of the investigation when the city paid over 100 million to settle police misconduct lawsuits last year. Why have Rahm and Eddie 'nem been so quiet on that? That is something that actually has broad effects on a city that has very limited resources and budget problems.

We barely have enough money to fund schools, massive pension liabilities, and corrupt politicians (many under an FBI investigation as we speak!) but our Mayor is focused on Jussie fucking Smollett and his nonsense.

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently selling out real victims of hate crimes just to own the Republicans is a noble cause.

It's totally absurd.

Not only because of the ethical considerations but also because this shit only "owns the Republicans" on the very very surface level. If you apply a single modicum of critical thinking and follow this to its natural conclusion, it quite obviously helps the Republicans in the long term if Democrats start to celebrate this.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

They going to muscle the production of Empire out of Chicago aren't they.

I think Smollett is shitty for what he did but this seems like an enormous amount of energy to devote to yet another wealthy/famous person getting away with a crime. I really don't feel like this happens unless the escapee also happens to be black. Can't have the system not working as intended I guess.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish our politicians cared half as much about officer involved killings as they do about Jussie's victemless crime
Smollett was willing to press charges against people he knew to be innocent until it turned out that the police had picked up his Nigerian trainers. That's not a victimless crime, any more than punching somebody in the dark is victimless.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This has been the most entertaining news story this year that's all I know. It's always taking a new twist and turn. Usually you have to wait months between new tidbits. This shit is like every few hours.

Now dude is nominated for a NAACP award, if he wins he is going to show his ass again.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but our side won so who cares, right? I mean, he only faked a hate crime afterall.

i think it'd be interesting to compare and contrast your posting history in threads about this case and your posting history in threads about other miscarriages of justice. because you've been at like a ten in all these threads, you've been very passionate at criticizing smollett for faking a hate crime, but are you all up in thread about actual hate crimes, advocating for the victims? are you on here making hundreds of posts about police who murder unarmed black people? Are you given this rich guys who use defamation suits as retribution to press outlets hell?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently selling out real victims of hate crimes just to own the Republicans is a noble cause.

If "owning the libs" is a thing I'd assume the opposite is a thing. Either way, no one should be supporting Smollett here. He isn't on the right side of anything.

i think it'd be interesting to compare and contrast your posting history in threads about this case and your posting history in threads about other miscarriages of justice. because you've been at like a ten in all these threads, you've been very passionate at criticizing smollett for faking a hate crime, but are you all up in thread about actual hate crimes, advocating for the victims? are you on here making hundreds of posts about police who murder unarmed black people?

You can attack the poster all you want, and I hardly agree with Carolina Reaper on anything really, but it doesn't change the facts. Faking a hate crime to gain attention is what it is. There are no ways to squirm around it. It is fucked. None of us should defend the act, it isn't coming from a good place.

Yup. I hope he gets away scott free at this point

Can I ask why?

Oct 28, 2017
i think it'd be interesting to compare and contrast your posting history in threads about this case and your posting history in threads about other miscarriages of justice. because you've been at like a ten in all these threads, you've been very passionate at criticizing smollett for faking a hate crime, but are you all up in thread about actual hate crimes, advocating for the victims? are you on here making hundreds of posts about police who murder unarmed black people? Are you given this rich guys who use defamation suits as retribution to press outlets hell?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Smollett is shitty for what he did but this seems like an enormous amount of energy to devote to yet another wealthy/famous person getting away with a crime. I really don't feel like this happens unless the escapee also happens to be black. Can't have the system not working as intended I guess.
Is there even a point of reference for this though? Yes Hollywood stars get off with crimes all the time, but this case had so much national media attention from the start because of the circumstances, and was played for the public in real time, it's hard to even think of something to compare it to black or white.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Extreme false equivalence concerning sexual assault, a history of similar infractions

Interesting take. Do do this same purity test on rape victims as well? See how slutty they have been in the past before you decide if it's ok to support thier call for Justice?

Tell us more about past actions diminish calls for current justice.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If anything this is ammo to be used next time a white celebrity does something similar, same rules should apply.

With that said that bill is a bit much, it's punishing the wrong people. The cast, crew, writers and the network shouldn't have to suffer for his stupidity.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For me, I barely post in threads about police shootings and have posted in this thread much more. That isn't because I consider this a much larger issue than police shootings. Police shootings are far more important and are a tragedy every time they happen. The fact that they continue makes me sick and something absolutely needs to be done about the current state of the police in the United States. In the grand scheme of things, the Jussie Smollett case is a much much smaller issue compared to that.

That being said, I don't post in the police shooting threads because I have nothing to add. Everything posted in those threads (this is awful, the police officer should be arrested and convicted) mirrors my feelings. There isn't anyone in those threads posting "the victim deserved it", "the cops were right" and if there are, they're banned before I have a chance to tell them what an idiot they are.

Thread like this that's not the case at all. Just look on the previous page. You have a poster stating they're fine if he gets away with faking a hate crime.

I post in these threads because there's an actual discussion to be had and I can add something more than what I would add to those other threads. All I'd be able to add there is "This is disgusting and a tragedy. Why is this still happening?"

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Is there even a point of reference for this though? Yes Hollywood stars get off with crimes all the time, but this case had so much national media attention from the start because of the circumstances, and was played for the public in real time, it's hard to even think of something to compare it to black or white.
We"ve had celebrities get away with literal murder and with the exception of OJ (big coincidence) their cases got a fraction of the attention that this one has. The fact that the story got bigger once it was revealed as a fraud is telling on it's own but the tabloid nature of it would have turned into a big story with any celebrity.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
We"ve had celebrities get away with literal murder and with the exception of OJ (big coincidence) their cases got a fraction of the attention that this one has. The fact that the story got bigger once it was revealed as a fraud is telling on it's own but the tabloid nature of it would have turned into a big story with any celebrity.
In all honesty, there really hasn't been a story this wild in the social media age that I can recall so I would certainly label this a special case.
This case was sort of a culmination of where our country is currently and has ballooned into both sides refusing to acknowledge any fault.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never thought Smollet deserved any real jail time and I have no intention of defending the police or criminal justice system as it currently exists but Smollet is an absolute piece of shit not only for orchestrating this entire thing but for now walking around like he's a legitimate victim of a hate crime.

Given how many people in this nation have actually been victimized by racially-motivated and homophobic attacks, his continued insistence on his innocence is fucking vile and a slap in the face to anyone who has been legitimately victimized.

Seriously, fuck this guy.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really characterize Jussie's story getting bigger with the reveal that he might not have been a victim. His story and trying to find the perps was on the news for days. It was one of the main things you'd see on the 24/7 news channel and Jussie's own appearance for interview.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
We barely have enough money to fund schools, massive pension liabilities, and corrupt politicians (many under an FBI investigation as we speak!) but our Mayor is focused on Jussie fucking Smollett and his nonsense.

That nonsense cost the city and police department over a hundred thousand dollars in investigations, dollars you say the city doesn't have to spare. So the Mayor is justified here

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, imagine if the city of Chicago or anyone in this thread was as fired up about the miscarriage of justice done to Laquan McDonald as they are about this saga.

Oct 28, 2017

Jussie literally made the whole thing up for the sole purpose of getting publicity and now we're wondering why it got so much publicity?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
In all honesty, there really hasn't been a story this wild in the social media age that I can recall so I would certainly label this a special case.
This case was sort of a culmination of where our country is currently and has ballooned into both sides refusing to acknowledge any fault.
My issue isn't so much the media attention ( that's understandable) it's the anger. It's rare to see this level of outrage about a rich person buying their way out of trouble to the point where the president is calling for investigations and politicians are talking about introducing legislation to find another way to punish him. It's like "oh... so now you notice that the criminal justice system has issues? Interesting.".
I never thought Smollet deserved any real jail time and I have no intention of defending the police or criminal justice system as it currently exists but Smollet is an absolute piece of shit not only for orchestrating this entire thing but for now walking around like he's a legitimate victim of a hate crime.

Given how many people in this nation have actually been victimized by racially-motivated and homophobic attacks, his continued insistence on his innocence is fucking vile and a slap in the face to anyone who has been legitimately victimized.

Seriously, fuck this guy.
Agreed.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
All of you still bitching about Jussie and ain't say shit about CPD botching the case.

But wanna talk about fucking agendas. Clowns. 🤡

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, imagine if the city of Chicago or anyone in this thread was as fired up about the miscarriage of justice done to Laquan McDonald as they are about this saga.

Appealing to worse problems doesn't mean this situation isn't fucked.

All of you still bitching about Jussie and ain't say shit about CPD botching the case.

But wanna talk about fucking agendas. Clowns. 🤡

Talking shit about the CPD is like talking about how the sun rises in the east. It doesn't need to be said all the time since it's so obvious they're fucked.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
My issue isn't so much the media attention ( that's understandable) it's the anger. It's rare to see this level of outrage about a rich person buying their way out of trouble to the point where the president is calling for investigations and politicians are talking about introducing legislation to find another way to punish him. It's like "oh... so now you notice that the criminal justice system has issues? Interesting.".

Agreed.
Problem is that there is a sizable portion of the white community, black community, and gay community that are upset with the potential that Jussie made everything up, used up resources, and seems to be walking free because he's well connected, well off, and a celebrity.

There's a smaller number of bad actors within the white community, among one political side, that are using this for political and racially divisive means. Problem is lumping the non-bad actors that still express exasperation with what Jussie allegedly did with the bad actors that are saying such outlandish shit like "I want to get rid of any tax benefits for anyone that hires Jussie".

Oct 28, 2017

Can we get a show of hands in this thread? Who thinks that Laquan McDonald doesn't deserve justice? Anyone?

Straw man much?

You're literally confusing discussion with outrage. There is more discussion in this thread because you have people claiming it's fine to fake hate crimes to own the conservatives. If I were more "outraged" at Jussie then wouldn't I want him to serve jail time? (I don't)

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know if CPD botched the case. This is all coming from your rumor mill is fact point of view.

and lmao at the insult.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
There doesnt seem to be any indication that CPD botched the case so I imagine that's why no one is bitching about it

They played a leaky public slander game and muddied the waters. Only to find they didnt have proper evidence to move forward.

They were essentially betting on him to admit guilt. They absolutely botched the case

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Problem is that there is a sizable portion of the white community, black community, and gay community that are upset with the potential that Jussie made everything up, used up resources, and seems to be walking free because he's well connected, well off, and a celebrity.

There's a smaller number of bad actors within the white community, among one political side, that are using this for political and racially divisive means. Problem is lumping the non-bad actors that still express exasperation with what Jussie allegedly did with the bad actors that are saying such outlandish shit like "I want to get rid of any tax benefits for anyone that hires Jussie".
It's always difficult to differentiate between the two groups, even moreso in the anonymous nature of a discussion board.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused - is it certain that Jussie was guilty?

The weirdest thing about this all has been hearing politicians etc. talking as if he was 100% no doubt guilty. Is that not something for a trial? Now it is just really weird in that there... won't be a trial?

Oct 27, 2017
Tell me more about me.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They played a leaky public slander game and muddied the waters. Only to find they didnt have proper evidence to move forward.

They were essentially betting on him to admit guilt. They absolutely botched the case
You're quite literally the only person I've heard say that they didnt have evidence to move forward. Not even the states attorney has been saying that. And I live here where I cant stop hearing about this case. No one is coming it from that angle at all.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

Agreed.
This case caused a reaction out of a lot of different communities, and as the story has progressed and grown increasingly outrageous, I think we've seen a mostly proportionate amount of anger being directed at all parties involved (Jussie, CPD, Trump, MAGAts, etc). You've got members of every community fighting for their side and some are unwilling to admit any fault because it will make their side look bad. It's really a shit show no matter what happens and has done nothing but create more issues and things to talk about.

Oct 25, 2017
LIke I said. Jussie did that shit, but I'm not losing sleep over this.

Fuck Rahm and Fuck CPD acting holier than thou. They didn't give a fuck about justice when it was reported that has black sites around the city to torture minorities. They didn't care about justice in the case of Laquan McDonald. Now they want to get on the soap box and start preaching? They are only doing this because they fucking look like fools right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.