• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
This has been the most entertaining news story this year that's all I know. It's always taking a new twist and turn. Usually you have to wait months between new tidbits. This shit is like every few hours.

Now dude is nominated for a NAACP award, if he wins he is going to show his ass again.
The former owner of the LA Clippers won a bunch of NAACP awards. They don't have much meaning.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact they didn't prosecute him, you think just sat on their hands with proper evidence and let him go willingly?

The police and the state's attorney say they have evidence he's guilty. The state's attorney said they didn't prosecute because they felt the $10k and community service he does is enough. Now many, including the Illinois state bar, have written describing why and how this arrangement is totally unusual.

Are you really not following any of this?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even be mad anymore if he did fake it.

By walking the dude exposed just how much more motivated white folks get when it's a black man who got away.

I think it's important to separate the two. White people get mad when black people play in a park, I don't think his intention was to point out their hypocrisy. But who knows.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
LIke I said. Jussie did that shit, but I'm not losing sleep over this.

Fuck Rahm and Fuck CPD acting holier than thou. They didn't give a fuck about justice when it was reported that has black sites around the city to torture minorities. They didn't care about justice in the case of Laquan McDonald. Now they want to get on the soap box and start preaching? They are only doing this because they fucking look like fools right now.

Exactly, and what these posters don't seem to realize is that looking at police brutality cases and saying "That's terrible" doesn't give you a fucking pass.

You made your comments and it's outta sight outta mind. But when it comes to Smollett, y'all fired up to see it Jussie get his comeuppance.

That's what we mean when we talk about y'all lacking the same energy for injustice cases involving minorities. Y'all can't even fucking respond to the claim without internet buzzwords.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That nonsense cost the city and police department over a hundred thousand dollars in investigations, dollars you say the city doesn't have to spare. So the Mayor is justified here
No, they asked for the money back which is the right thing to do and I'm sure they will get it. If you have this energy for 100k where is it for the 100 million that went down the drain due to police misconduct? The reaction doesn't justify the offense and once again, the real issues of the city aren't being addressed because the Mayor (who is on his way out the election is on Tuesday) spends his time on this versus serious systemic and quality of life issues that are prevalent here.
This energy is misplaced, specifically from a mayor that conspired with CPD to deny justice to the McDonald family. He and his righteousness can fuck right off.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I don't think Jussie deserves jail time or anything of that nature. His willingness to accuse innocent people to keep up his story, and his willingness to sign his brother's name onto a court order while pretending to be his brother, shows that he probably has some issues going on. And I don't really think we should be championing him.

I do think that if it turns out to be explicitly true that he faked a hate crime and got away with it, we should not be celebrating that fact for a number of reasons. Doing that has the potential to cause real harm to actual victims.

But the media circus around this is completely ridiculous.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This case caused a reaction out of a lot of different communities, and as the story has progressed and grown increasingly outrageous, I think we've seen a mostly proportionate amount of anger being directed at all parties involved (Jussie, CPD, Trump, MAGAts, etc). You've got members of every community fighting for their side and some are unwilling to admit any fault because it will make their side look bad. It's really a shit show no matter what happens and has done nothing but create more issues and things to talk about.
Yeah, we're all just a bunch of tribes now and it's sad. I think on a board like this the vast majority will agree that he deserves more punishment than what he's getting but I can understand the view that on light of the level of injustice going on in every facet of our society today Jussie is small potatoes.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even be mad anymore if he did fake it.

By walking the dude exposed just how much more motivated white folks get when it's a black man who got away.

Everyone that is agreeing with this opinion is disgusting.

But not as disgusting as anyone who celebrates cops getting away with murder...which is apparently a qualification I need to add to the end of every one of my posts that is critical of anything.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, and what these posters don't seem to realize is that looking at police brutality cases and saying "That's terrible" doesn't give you a fucking pass.

You made your comments and it's outta sight outta mind. But when it comes to Smollett, y'all fired up to see it Jussie get his comeuppance.

That's what we mean when we talk about y'all lacking the same energy for injustice cases involving minorities. Y'all can't even fucking respond to the claim without internet buzzwords.
This! As a Chicagoan it's disgusting to see Rahm and CPD act like this as if Homan Square was never a thing, as if the McDonald tape was never a thing, as if many CPD officers have been charged (and convicted) of horrible, horrible crimes to PoC in this city. If this is how they want to act they need to KEEP THE SAME ENERGY when it comes to wrong doing from our city government and the CPD. Neither had anything to say about the obscene amounts of money the taxpayers here are footing for police misconduct, so they don't like like a 130k investigation is breaking the bank. 130k which they will probably get back at that.

That is my issue with all of this, where was this energy when things that were really detrimental to people in this city were happening? It was silence and that's why I'm so angry and offended by this showboating.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
The police and the state's attorney say they have evidence he's guilty. The state's attorney said they didn't prosecute because they felt the $10k and community service he does is enough. Now many, including the Illinois state bar, have written describing why and how this arrangement is totally unusual.

Are you really not following any of this?
You keep trying to push this narrative but it is clear that CPD has nothing to do with the case being dismissed and they are not happy with the State's Attorney deciding to do so.
Well yes, that's exactly what seems to have happened. That's literally why so many people are pissed about this case right now.

I have been following the case but you seem to take the police as the word of God. Everything they report is 100% factual?

If that's you're issue, I'm still seeing everyone angry at Jussie rather than the States Attorney. Is Jussie suppose to lock his own self up?

The State Attorney made a decision. This board is all about "rehabilitation and forgiveness" but now Jussie needs jail. You all then try to say he's damaged Hate Crime Victims and that's just completely wrong entirely since you're so worried about what detractors think instead of listening to victims in the first place.

The Mayor and the CPD have a complete shit history, there is absolutely no reason to trust what they say. They jump up and down and throw a bitchfit when it doesn't go there way while they perpetrated heinous cover-ups and obstruction of justice on the citizens of Chicago.

You're all being taken for a ride

The leaked promo poster for Star Wars Episode IX thread has more posts than this one.

Why are people putting all that energy into that thread instead of Laquan McDonald?
Rich, you whine about WhAtAboUtISM and use completely off the wall comparison..

At the very least Smollett and McDonald are both topics about.... Ya know.... Criminal Justice.

Your blind ass is talking about Star Wars. You really must be Matt Murdock

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ironically if it wasn't for people dropping in to do the whataboutism shuffle this thread would be a fraction of its current size. Without that argument the only thing to do is post any updates and go "yeah, wow, this is fucked up."

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So the man got hit with a 130k bill

If he doesn't pay it, they can go to trial and end up paying triple that.

His team says he won't pay it and deserves an apology.

Dude is not getting an apology. He should just pay it, yeah it will suck to have to admit you lied to your momma but it's better than a embarrassing trial and paying upwards of 390k

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been following the case but you seem to take the police as the word of God. Everything they report is 100% factual?

If that's you're issue, I'm still seeing everyone angry at Jussie rather than the States Attorney. Is Jussie suppose to lock his own self up?

The State Attorney made a decision. This board is all about "rehabilitation and forgiveness" but now Jussie needs jail. You all then try to say he's damaged Hate Crime Victims and that's just completely wrong entirely since you're so worried about what detractors think instead of listening to victims in the first place.

The Mayor and the CPD have a complete shit history, there is absolutely no reason to trust what they say. They jump up and down and throw a bitchfit when it doesn't go there way while they perpetrated heinous cover-ups and obstruction of justice on the citizens of Chicago.

You keep moving the goal posts. You claimed they didn't have the evidence to proceed. Can you support that statement?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Everyone that is agreeing with this opinion is disgusting.

But not as disgusting as anyone who celebrates cops getting away with murder...which is apparently a qualification I need to add to the end of every one of my posts that is critical of anything.
I mean seriously, it's like if we have a full resume of our stances on every issue before we make any commentary.

You are literally arguing points that no one here has made.
No is demanding Jussie be locked up or put in jail. No one is more worried about detractors more than the victims. No one is saying CPD isn't shitty and has not done shitting things. You need to reinvest that energy towards people actually making these claims instead of on here where it's not happening.

I say this as someone who has been a victim of a hate crime and had friends and family who have been victims as well. I was at the rally against Trump in 2016 in Chicago. I say this as someone who has had family members beaten and tortured at these CPD black sites and arrested for false crimes. I say this a Mexican-American man who has marched with Black Lives Matter but also a friend who was a Chicago Police officer and just last week was murdered in Chicago because he was "the first Hispanic person" that the shooter saw. I have fought on all sides of injustice and realize it comes from all angles and while there are people doing heinous and irreprehensible shit on the other side, if we all those on our side to do the same thing then how the hell are we any better.

Last edited:

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
You keep moving the goal posts. You claimed they didn't have the evidence to proceed. Can you support that statement?

What evidence am I supposed to show you if you believe the police by default? How am I suppose to have this evidence if I'm not working the case?

It's a discussion board, it's my opinion that they botched the case seeing as police don't fucking hesitate to book a black man for any reason.

But you know that, you're just being pedantic

Oct 27, 2017
So the man got hit with a 130k bill

If he doesn't pay it, they can go to trial and end up paying triple that.

His team says he won't pay it and deserves an apology.

Dude is not getting an apology. He should just pay it, yeah it will suck to have to admit you lied to your momma but it's better than a embarrassing trial and paying upwards of 390k
His team said he didn't want to pay the initial 10k and they had to convince him to do it to make this go away.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What evidence am I supposed to show you if you believe the police by default? How am I suppose to have this evidence if I'm not working the case?

It's a discussion board, it's my opinion that they botched the case seeing as police don't fucking hesitate to book a black man for any reason.

But you know that, you're just being pedantic

The police didn't make the decision not to continue prosecution, the state's attorney did. Your argument isn't logically coherent.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So, is Conservative News Media trying to spin it that the Obama got him off? Because, I've been hearing that from dumbasses.

Oct 25, 2017
The leaked promo poster for Star Wars Episode IX thread has more posts than this one.

Why are people putting all that energy into that thread instead of Laquan McDonald?

I mean there is a world outside of ResetERA where the media IS putting more time into this than they ever put into Laquan Mcdonald and trying to hold those accountable.

I can promise you can talk to many black people in Chicago right now. I can bet they'll tell you that Jussie did it. That he faked it. But they aren't going to lose sleep over this. I can bet you they are looking at how Rahm and CPD are responding to this and could care less about the "righteous" hill they are trying to stand on.

This is your classic case of rich celebrity gets off without any consequences. This time he just happens to be black and it has everyone, media included in a tizzy.

We'll see the reaction from everyone when the the actresses who paid obscene amounts of money to get their dumbass kids into college inevitable don't get and consequences.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there is a world outside of ResetERA where the media IS putting more time into this than they ever put into Laquan Mcdonald and trying to hold those accountable.

I can promise you can talk to many black people in Chicago right now. I can bet they'll tell you that Jussie did it. That he faked it. But they aren't going to lose sleep over this. I can bet you they are looking at how Rahm and CPD are responding to this and could care less about the "righteous" hill they are trying to stand on.

This is your classic case of rich celebrity gets off without any consequences. This time he just happens to be black and it has everyone, media included in a tizzy.

We'll see the reaction from everyone when the the actresses who paid obscene amounts of money to get their dumbass kids into college inevitable don't get and consequences.
Jussie boosted his own story so that it became big. This is the result when drama and story twists start entering the scene.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You guys are doing a whole lot bringing up Laquan and shit. Just say you're happy he got off lol, I promise it's not that deep. We're not gonna confiscate your progressive card from you

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This! As a Chicagoan it's disgusting to see Rahm and CPD act like this as if Homan Square was never a thing, as if the McDonald tape was never a thing, as if many CPD officers have been charged (and convicted) of horrible, horrible crimes to PoC in this city. If this is how they want to act they need to KEEP THE SAME ENERGY when it comes to wrong doing from our city government and the CPD. Neither had anything to say about the obscene amounts of money the taxpayers here are footing for police misconduct, so they don't like like a 130k investigation is breaking the bank. 130k which they will probably get back at that.

That is my issue with all of this, where was this energy when things that were really detrimental to people in this city were happening? It was silence and that's why I'm so angry and offended by this showboating.
Finally someone understands the bigger picture. Rahm Emmanuel and the CPD committ obstruction of justice every goddamn day when it comes to black Chicagoans but when it's a rich one getting off, suddenly it's fucking Avengers taking on Thanos.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Well they showed the footage of the brothers buying the items used in the event; it's also not logical to think the police are lying about their confession.

And if you think the brothers are lying about Jussie being involved in the hoax and/or the Police coerced them out of it...

... we are still left with.. why? If Jussie wasn't involved; why did 2 of his co-workers he is seemingly quite friendly with stage a fake hate crime with Jussie as the target? Even if they didn't like him for some reason.. still, why? They didn't really harm him, they didn't rob him.. what is the motive?

Beyond that, what other facts are really disputable? The "facts" appear to be video evidence and a confession; what would anyone be lying about? I agree with a general "fuck CPD" and hell.. fuck most police, especially urban police departments.... but this case is backed by a confession and video evidence.

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
You guys are doing a whole lot bringing up Laquan and shit. Just say you're happy he got off lol, I promise it's not that deep. We're not gonna confiscate your progressive card from you
I think it's less that people are happy that he got off and more not going to waste the mental energy being outraged he got off when we've witnessed people being celebrated for getting off for much much worse.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
So, is Conservative News Media trying to spin it that the Obama got him off? Because, I've been hearing that from dumbasses.
LOL, let me straighten out this bag of snakes for you. An ex-chief of staff of Michelle Obama said she tried to intervene on behalf of Smollett. That's it. So, you smush that through the right-wing propaganda sausage grinder and you get "Mumble mumble OBAMA mumble JUSSIE SMOLLETT!"

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Omg Rahms brother is the agent Ari Gold from Entourage is based off of.

Jussie better get comfortable as a side character in future Lee Daniel's productions

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Finally someone understands the bigger picture. Rahm Emmanuel and the CPD committ obstruction of justice every goddamn day when it comes to black Chicagoans but when it's a rich one getting off, suddenly it's fucking Avengers taking on Thanos.
DASSIT! For those that don't know, CPD is so trash they had to be put under a federal consent decree that Ramh first opposed and the FOP STILL opposes. Here it is: consent decree.

This is why I'm so offended by the showboating, this is a department and a City government that has violated the law MULTIPLE times and this energy was not the same. If this is how they want to address injustices in our city, they should start with the systemic ones that they perpetuate. Funny how they are silent about those things.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
We just had a letter posted here by the bar association criticizing the state's attorney. Focus has been on that office because they made the decision. You really aren't taking this all in.
People are lmao. What forum are you reading?
I think every single person in Chicago is talking about Kim Foxx right now.

I see where the SA Office is being looked at but clearly the anger and the focus isn't there, it's on Jussie.

We will see how this continues to develop and how attitudes will change.

Well they showed the footage of the brothers buying the items used in the event; it's also not logical to think the police are lying about their confession.

And if you think the brothers are lying about Jussie being involved in the hoax and/or the Police coerced them out of it...

... we are still left with.. why? If Jussie wasn't involved; why did 2 of his co-workers he is seemingly quite friendly with stage a fake hate crime with Jussie as the target? Even if they didn't like him for some reason.. still, why? They didn't really harm him, they didn't rob him.. what is the motive?

Beyond that, what other facts are really disputable? The "facts" appear to be video evidence and a confession; what would anyone be lying about? I agree with a general "fuck CPD" and hell.. fuck most police, especially urban police departments.... but this case is backed by a confession and video evidence.

I know Jussie did it but CPD and the Mayor is being entirely hypocritical by throwing a tantrum when they've been ruining the lives of Chicago citizens for years.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like how people are still using the "think of the real hate crime victims" when it's been proven time and time again that Republicans would never believe them

Hell, even on "progressive" "enlightened" Era when someone makes a topic about a racist moment they went through, Era doesn't believe them.

Just admit that you want the uppity Negro in jail already

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see where the SA Office is being looked at but clearly the anger and the focus isn't there, it's on Jussie.

We will see how this continues to develop and how attitudes will change.

The state's attorney has been the main focus since the decision was made. People are mad at Jussie because he continues to say the two brothers attacked him, which is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I know Jussie did it but CPD and the Mayor is being entirely hypocritical by throwing a tantrum when they've been ruining the lives of Chicago citizens for years.
Ah got it, thought you were questioning the idea of Jussie's involvement.

And yeah agree to some extent; it's not the tantrum that's wrong it's the lack of care in other places though.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's grandstanding, crazy statemakers do it all the time. But it shows it was never about justice for them.
It's super transparent and people trying to piggyback off the story. But also the least surprising thing I read so far. Of course a republican would draft something ridiculous.

Just admit that you want the uppity Negro in jail already

Currently this is the Kim Foxx story now, Chicago wants money and a apology. from Jussie. I haven't heard anyone recently say he should go in jail. Maybe court ordered mental health visits though.

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Smollett was willing to press charges against people he knew to be innocent until it turned out that the police had picked up his Nigerian trainers. That's not a victimless crime, any more than punching somebody in the dark is victimless.
Ok that's fair. I had forgotten that point, but I still think the circus around this is totally unproportional. Without even looking I'm sure the city has paid out millions in recent settlements against police misconduct. Yet I've never seen the city bill those officers or the mayor get fired up like he is now

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's fair. I had forgotten that point, but I still think the circus around this is totally unproportional. Without even looking I'm sure the city has paid out millions in recent settlements against police misconduct. Yet I've never seen the city bill those officers or the mayor get fired up like he is now
113 million last year https://www.chicagoreporter.com/chi...illion-on-police-misconduct-lawsuits-in-2018/

This is why as a Chicago citizen the media circus has been ridiculous. You're mad over 130k but not 113 million. Makes no sense.

Oct 28, 2017

I agree that this is a classic, rich celebrity gets off without any consequences scenario. I disagree that the subsequent total outrage has anything to do with his skin color.

Imagine a white Trump supporter who is also one of the main actors on a hit network television show did this exact same thing only he claimed to be attacked by Muslims and it was subsequently proven to be false. Then he gets off scot free.

Do you think that would be getting more or less media coverage? It would be way less on Fox News but it would be way more on NBC and CNN and every single person in this thread would be way more pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.