• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
CNN said:
North and South Korea will sign a peace treaty to formally end the Korean War later this year, 65 years after hostilities ceased, the two countries announced in a joint declaration Friday.

The document, formally called the "Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification on the Korean Peninsula," was revealed after a full day of meetings and a 30-minute private conversation in the past hour between Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-in.

"The two leaders solemnly declare ... that there will be no more war on the Korean Peninsula and a new era of peace has begun," the declaration said.

Fighting in the Korean War ended in 1953 in stalemate, after which an armistice agreement was signed. But a peace treaty never followed, and the two sides are still technically at war.

"There will not be any more war on the Korean Peninsula, a new era of peace has begun," Moon said after signing the declaration.

"Chairman Kim Jong Un and I have agreed that complete denuclearization will be achieved, and that is our common goal."

Uhm, wow.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
And all it took was NK accidentely destroying their own nuclear facility!

Really amazing news.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been about 65 years since the armistice. Although this peace treaty is a positive step, what were the casualties in this war since hostilities formally ended? Hundreds of thousands of people have died as a result of famine and gulags in North Korea, will this treaty benefit them? I don't mean to be cynical, but what tangible change does this bring?

jelmerjt

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Fantastic news. Now don't screw up mister Trump.

kjyrssy.png

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've watched enough GoT and The Americans to know this is all an elaborate trap by NK.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Hmmm, I must've missed Kim claiming they successfully miniaturised warheads:

Last weekend, Mr. Kim announced an end to all nuclear and long-range-missile tests, saying that his country had mastered how to mount nuclear warheads on missiles and no longer needs to conduct tests. Mr. Kim said North Korea has adopted a "new strategic line" focusing on economic development.

That would be quite the development - and now they're negotiating from a heck of a position.

Also the NYT article suggests they want complete denuclearisation before the end of Trump's first term. Good luck with that.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
It's been about 65 years since the armistice. Although this peace treaty is a positive step, what were the casualties in this war since hostilities formally ended? Hundreds of thousands of people have died as a result of famine and gulags in North Korea, will this treaty benefit them? I don't mean to be cynical, but what tangible change does this bring?
Uhhhh, less people dying.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Holy shit!
Baby steps. It'll lead to lesser tensions.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Peace is good for the south koreans who would be hit hard at the reignition of an armed conflict, but doesn't this legitimize the Kim family dictatorship?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The salt of people when Trump, Un and Moon get the nobel peace prize will be great

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And all it took was NK accidentely destroying their own nuclear facility!

Really amazing news.

Yep. The United States pretty much had fuck all to do with this. However, we'll have to see if it sticks.

IIRC, East Germany is still dealing with effects and issues with re-unification, so even if it started tomorrow, Korea reunification could very well not 'complete' for decades.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, what about the horrible stuff Kim did, does he get a pass while remaining in power forever? Surely Kim can't stay in power without ruling with an iron fist as usual so getting rid of nukes but giving him everything else is the deal?

It's a great step, no doubt but there is so much up in the air. Does the UN get to look around etc.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news. Now don't screw up mister Trump.

Screw it up? This is all because of him, and his magic twitter-diplomacy. This would never have happened without him, so let's all focus on him right now and give him the attention he deserves (read: desperately need at all times).

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43921385

"The leaders of North and South Korea have agreed to work to rid the peninsula of nuclear weapons after holding an historic summit."

If this holds up I'm delighted. Never thought I'd see this solved in my lifetime. Props to KJU and President Moon, Xi, and even Trump for bringing this about.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017

What are you expecting, a magic wand to solve all problems in NK, the shittiest country in the world?

This is a huge step towards more dialogue, less tension, more AID into the country as well, so yes, it will bring tangible change.

Include

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible, we are living a turning point moment in history folks.

Families may finally be able to be reunited if they decide to open the borders and be a one united Korea.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should offer the current NK regime a full pardon for all past crimes to allow for a transition of power over the next couple of years.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, US pressure did have some effect but to say none at all is hyperbole.

Not really. China has more influence on NK and are the ones that started the thawing process so far. We've just had a generic embargo for decades that did nothing, really, to sway NK one way or the other, nor did a US president set the stage for this to happen.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree, US pressure did have some effect but to say none at all is hyperbole.

Well yeah, the world who put sanctions on them all did to some degree probably but Trump in recent times, absolutely not other than passively carrying on what came before. NK having problems and China was likely what done it while SK was very receptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.