• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Not really. China has more influence on NK and are the ones that started the thawing process so far. We've just had a generic embargo for decades that did nothing, really, to sway NK one way or the other, nor did a US president set the stage for this to happen.

I agree. Trump just did his stupid tweets, while China actually stopped exporting to NK and importing stuff from NK. I think thats a far bigger step to hurt NKs economy than writing at tweet about who has the bigger button.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Hopefully this can lead to a more humane situation in NK, while also not completely destabilizing SK's economy. This is a step in the right direction, but it's really hard not to be sceptical.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Not really. China has more influence on NK and are the ones that started the thawing process so far. We've just had a generic embargo for decades that did nothing, really, to sway NK one way or the other, nor did a US president set the stage for this to happen.
Of course China has influence but if the stakes were not raised the Chinese wouldn't be able to pressure them as well. The embargo while it did nothing the current administration made this topic a front issue in public relations for the last year.

Well yeah, the world who put sanctions on them all did to some degree probably but Trump in recent times, absolutely not other than passively carrying on what came before.
I think that making this a major world issue and the use of Brinkmanship did raise the bar. After Kennedy threatened MAD on the world in Cuba, detente did happen for awhile in that sense.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you expecting, a magic wand to solve all problems in NK, the shittiest country in the world?

This is a huge step towards more dialogue, less tension, more AID into the country as well, so yes, it will bring tangible change.
I don't think there should be unconditional peace with a country that butchers thousands of people in concentration camps. Is there a provision in this treaty that calls for UN inspection of known gulag sites? I don't expect a magic wand, but I don't really give a shit about gestures like this. What does the North Korean government expect to gain from this? Legitimization, continued existence? I know there's no way to depose them, but I'd hope that legitimization and participation in the global community is offered as a reward for not just denuclearization, but some signal of ending these camps and reforming their penal code. The human rights situation is the most tangible, real world consequence faced by people living today, not threats of hypothetical nuclear war.

They're ending a war with a 65 year old armistice. No one's been killed in this war for over half a century. Hundreds of thousands to millions of people have died in North Korea in that same period because of their government.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This is wild and good for Moon, but the rest of the world should not be happy until decent humanitarianism is established to save the populace of NK and the regime is tried for crimes against humanity while reunification happens.

I have a feeling that's still far away, sadly.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, Mr. Kim Jung Un, besides running your country with an iron fist, forcing people to smile and worship you at all times, execute or assassinate any political foe, and threatening to send the world into WWIII...you ain't half bad.

I hope Dennis Rodman will be there to attend the signing of this peace treaty.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
Is Trump a Nobel Peace Prize winner yet?

Incredible news but why are people giving Trump credit for this? Have we forgotten that mere weeks ago he was insulting Kim Jong Un and virtually inciting nuclear war via Twitter?

It'll be a minor tragedy when this momentous, and for many, life-changing event is wrongly spun by the right-wing media as Trump's great achievement. This is too significant an event to be hijacked by that 'dotard'.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You know, Mr. Kim Jung Un, besides running your country with an iron fist, forcing people to smile and worship you at all times, execute or assassinate any politic foe, and threatening to send the world into WWIII...you ain't half bad.

I hope Dennis Rodman will be there to attend the signing of this peace treaty.

Don't forget about the concentration camps.

Kim has a lot to answer for.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone talking about Nobel Peace Prizes being handed out and not one mention of Dennis Rodman smh

Thirty7ven

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Trump wasn't part of this and anybody who thinks this happened because of him is plain stupid and dumb.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
This is wild and good for Moon, but the rest of the world should not be happy until decent humanitarianism is established to save the populace of NK and the regime is tried for crimes against humanity while reunification happens.

I have a feeling that's still far away, sadly.
And this is an extremely important point. Things need to change in NK, and fast!

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
not something i thought i'd see anytime soon, pretty amazing....

also the trump praise is beyond me, i expect the tweets of him taking credit in an hour or so lol

im sure we supported and offered a stick at moments but its between the north and south. they've controlled the narrative since it started... its weird we have to always somehow insert ourselves for credit when theres not much credit to take. we also know how the state departments has been neutered under trump and how we've cut out influence in events overseas.

theres still a lot of play we have in the area that will be up to trump. it also looks like kim is going to get a big pass on a lot of crimes hes committed, one at least hopes this means better days for north koreans going forward but theres a lot of details here we dont even know (secret prisons/slave laboring/torture).

kim making peace with the south (and china) first also puts us in the awkward spot of being the potential aggressor still, making peace first is a good way to try and neutralize us to a degree before talks even started. we could make legit demands and end up looking like a spoiler.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
So Kim will spend the next few months cleaning up all the concentration camps in NK?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Fantastic news to hear! Hopefully this also leads to the end of the gulags in North Korea and the eventual fall of the NK regime to go over to a open democracy.

Cue Trump taking credit in 3....2.....1.....

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I can think this is good news for now. It's North Korea, so to me it's like the First Order signing peace papers.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Let's hope this is real and geniune and can stick. And Trump bringing in Bolton doesn't instill confidence.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Unless it includes open inspections, removal of all North Korean officials from power, including KJU, and a comprehensive plan to feed, build infrastructure, and undo propaganda then it's a pointless gesture that will do nothing but give KJU more breathing room to continue being a murderous dictator.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Man, never thought I would see this happen in my lifetime. Hopefully, KJU sticks to the deal and not back out over some utter nonsense in the coming months.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at people saying a peace treaty is worth nothing unless there is regime change.

Have some realistic expectations

jelmerjt

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Woah.

schermafbeelding2018-kbo44.png

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol at people saying a peace treaty is worth nothing unless there is regime change.

Have some realistic expectations
I ain't sayin' that. I think it's worth nothing unless there are inspectations that ensure the closure of concentration camps. Otherwise it's a peace treaty that doesn't stop any killing, which is sort of a difficult peace treaty to care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.