• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
I'm still perplexed at why North Korea built up a nuclear program and tested all these missiles just to then shut it all down. What was the point?

They openly said their nuclear program was being built for leverage to legitimize their regime. The plan was always to get it built and than use it to bargain about getting sanctions lifted and trade opened up. This is why no US Presidents would meet with them before, because it would serve the same purpose of legitimizing the Supreme Leader on the international stage.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People that think this is a win for the US would have probably thought Neville Chamberlain's peace deal with Hitler was a win for the UK.

It doesn't mean we're going to war, but incompetent leaders like Bush and Trump are what have brought us to the point in the world where developing nuclear weapons gets you a peace deal.

Now watch Iran do the same shit, especially if this dumbass breaks the treaty. Stupid ass Republicans AND Democrats are to blame for this shit. Too many Democrats were too hesitant to make a deal with Iran, which has weakened it. Now these people are responsible for the greatest threat to emerge for Democracy since the Soviet Union. China and Russia got another well-equiped ally on their team.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is either the beginning of real peace on the Korean peninsula or a fucking evil trick and World War III is imminent.
Either way it's huge and i bet on the fist one, because NK has nothing to gain or win in a war. You just never know with dictators.

US presidents always get credit or blame for international politics and major events.
If you go by that, the last POTUS who actually did anything was Kennedy.
And Obama got the noble peace prize for literally nothing.

Obama got the Iran deal which starved off a regional arms race.
Which arguably is a far bigger deal than North Korea due to the fact it's stopping Iran from getting nukes in the first place

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Which arguably is a far bigger deal than North Korea due to the fact it's stopping Iran from getting nukes in the first place

The one Trump is about to undermine, I might add, which might provoke an arms race and a war in the ME.

But he deserves the peace prize anyways amirite guys

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk of Trump getting a NPP just for existing. What exactly did he do? If it's nothing, then I want a NPP too.

NightMarcher

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hawaii
Great news for the world, truly.

However, this doesn't change my opinion of Trump one iota. How quickly we are to forget the continued attacks on our country, its institutions and its members, his enablement and tolerance of bigotry, his statements of equivocation between those who fight hate and those who propagate it, the destruction of our reputation abroad, the moral decay he sees fit to infuse in our country and to the world, the dismissal of climate change, the attempts to rob millions of their healthcare, among others. Is this good news? Absolutely, it's historic and is a monumental step in the right direction for the world, and perhaps if Trump were actually a man of decent character I'd be willing to lay some credit at his feet for an outcome indicative of it. But this event doesn't suddenly negate all the other damage that will take many, many years to rectify that Trump has been instrumental in furthering, and will continue to do so for 7 more years (at this point I've no doubt he's going to win a 2nd term).

I would never say that this is something that shouldn't have happened simply to be able deny credit to an individual in a position to take it that I vehemently despise. This is much much bigger than Trump, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't bother me that such an accomplishment is to be laid at the feet of someone so utterly undeserving of it when taking into consideration all the other damage that has been (and will be) done.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is great news. The North Korean people are some of the most repressed in the world. Hopefully this is a small step towards NK actually joining the international community and opening up a bit.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Man, I miss Obama. And I'm not even American.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why people think Trump possible getting a peace prize seals a second term for him. GHWB saw the end of the Cold War and victory in Iraq and still lost.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Project "Axis of Evil" is nearing completion. Bush took care of Iraq, Obama took care of Iran, and Trump is taking care of (or will take credit for, whatever) North Korea.

(I'm using "took care of" rather loosely)

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Can't believe there are people in here complaining that this is happening during Trump's presidency. How inconvenient that a good thing happened during the tenure of a politician you don't like. Pathetic.
It's scary, it's like some would want the worst if it meant Trump fails. Reminds me of the fire in his building where plenty were joking and laughing while there were still people inside.

This is a good start, hopefully it isn't just all for show and it better the lives of those in both countries(mainly NK).

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't know why people think Trump possible getting a peace prize seals a second term for him. GHWB saw the end of the Cold War and victory in Iraq and still lost.

Most people have short memories and forget that Trump was threatening war against the North and NK just ignored him and developed full fledged ICBM's under his watch, which are now being used as bargaining chips.

Which throws the "Trump brought North Korea to the table" narrative out the window. I'm sure someone will bring up Moon's comment on Trump being "instrumental", but then people conveniently forget the most common thing world leaders do to get on Trump's good side is give him credit and placate him to massage his ego.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
They'll transition to a China style state capitalism.

The NK regime has relied on saber rattling to stay in power, Kim Jong Un must feel really confident if he's willing to give that up. Either that or this was a huge mistake.

Most people have short memories and forget that Trump was threatening war against the North and NK just ignored him and developed full fledged ICBM's under his watch, which are now being used as bargaining chips.

Which throws the "Trump brought North Korea to the table" narrative out the window. I'm sure someone will bring up Moon's comment on Trump being "instrumental", but then people conveniently forget the most common thing world leaders do to get on Trump's good side is give him credit and placate him to massage his ego.

It's also possible a strong US leadership stood in the way of ending the war? Now that the US is weaker, SK's leadership feels more confident to act on their own.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, if Iran had nukes, Bolton trying to get shit started with them wouldn't be as much of a concern rn. Is one of those monkey paw things.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but what does this fix?

Is Kim going to stop running a totalitarian state that murders and oppresses its people? Open his country to the larger world and let his people see what real life is like?

No more threats on SK and it's allies? I mean all
He was was threats. The moment he ever actually attacked anyone he and his people would have been wiped off the earth.

What is this aside from just some prett words and a photo op?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The NK regime has relied on saber rattling to stay in power, Kim Jong Un must feel really confident if he's willing to give that up. Either that or this was a huge mistake.

It's also possible a strong US leadership stood in the way of ending the war? Now that the US is weaker, SK's leadership feels more confident to act on their own.

Yes, the willingness for South Korea to engage in talks coupled with the circumstances the North was dealing with (Completed ICBM's, nuclear weapons, no remaining nuclear test site, crippling sanctions) was most likely the perfect arrangement to start talks again.

North Korea literally doesn't have anything left if their only functional test site is now defunct. If they don't have miniaturized nukes, then their nuclear program is now at a dead end due to an inability to test, so their out of room to grow their bargaining power.

Really, this is practically all North Korea ever wanted if this goes through. Remain in power, end sanctions and end isolation, end the war. If all of that happens, then I can see why they aren't being as strict on the US completely abandoning the region, but those talks are going to be more between China and the US.

Like, what did people think was going to happen once they checked off all the boxes? Stay under sanctions forever? Eventually they were going to initiate talks, just so happens South Korea has a President that campaigned on opening talks again as well as a POTUS that is extremely weak.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Is Kim going to stop running a totalitarian state that murders and oppresses its people? Open his country to the larger world and let his people see what real life is like?

He was was threats. The moment he ever actually attacked anyone he and his people would have been wiped off the earth.

They are going to become a legitimate state, that's the goal and was always the goal, probably similar to how China functions and opened up to the world.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

The thing you have to realize is this is the starting point for everything you said.

You think Kim is gonna come out and completely reorganize his entire regime in a fucking week after a single meeting?

Seriously?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why this has to be a ruse for anything bigger. Kim is going to be getting a lot out of this regardless.

1. It legitimize his rule to the world. His War crimes can be looked over then.
2. Can start to industrialized his country without push back. Mo money his way.
3. This is the best option for both China and SK. They'll help, but they don't need to worry about the refugees. Alongside making it look like a win for NK

There doesn't need to be some great endgame twist here. He won regardless

Nov 27, 2017
Trump said he'd wipe them of the face of the earth if they started any shit, but also said he wanted to be friends with Kim. I think Kim is looking forward to going bowling with trump since they can be buds now.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They can't give Trump the Nobel Prize, at least no when your strategy is write on twitter about how your nuclear button is bigger

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the willingness for South Korea to engage in talks coupled with the circumstances the North was dealing with (Completed ICBM's, nuclear weapons, no remaining nuclear test site, crippling sanctions) was most likely the perfect arrangement to start talks again.

North Korea literally doesn't have anything left if their only functional test site is now defunct. If they don't have miniaturized nukes, then their nuclear program is now at a dead end due to an inability to test, so their out of room to grow their bargaining power.

Really, this is practically all North Korea ever wanted if this goes through. Remain in power, end sanctions and end isolation, end the war. If all of that happens, then I can see why they aren't being as strict on the US completely abandoning the region, but those talks are going to be more between China and the US.

Like, what did people think was going to happen once they checked off all the boxes? Stay under sanctions forever? Eventually they were going to initiate talks, just so happens South Korea has a President that campaigned on opening talks again as well as a POTUS that is extremely weak.
Where is this certainty about their test site having collapsed coming from?

Thread:

D65

Oct 26, 2017
People that think this is a win for the US would have probably thought Neville Chamberlain's peace deal with Hitler was a win for the UK.

It doesn't mean we're going to war, but incompetent leaders like Bush and Trump are what have brought us to the point in the world where developing nuclear weapons gets you a peace deal.

Now watch Iran do the same shit, especially if this dumbass breaks the treaty. Stupid ass Republicans AND Democrats are to blame for this shit. Too many Democrats were too hesitant to make a deal with Iran, which has weakened it. Now these people are responsible for the greatest threat to emerge for Democracy since the Soviet Union. China and Russia got another well-equiped ally on their team.

What are you implying...

That the US should be aggressive to NK no matter what?

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I am so proud to be an American right now, knowing that my country and my president had a hand in this. I didn't expect to see this so relatively quickly though! I'm still hoping for the best, but this is a start!

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Can we talk about this news without bringing up trump? I get it, people want to prop him up for it and others want to downplay his involvement, but the main thing is something positive coming from an area that hasn't had positivity in ages

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you implying...

That the US should be aggressive to NK no matter what?
No. That NK should not have nuclear weapons, and that the Bush and Trump admin's strategies to accomplish that failed.

We have to be nice to them now because they have a gun pointed at our head. Granted, we have 100+ times the guns pointed at theirs, but that's hardly ideal. We were forced to the table by our own incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.