• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody involved deserves credit for this, including Trump. He's still an awful president but that doesn't negate his role in this.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
No. That NK should not have nuclear weapons, and that the Bush and Trump admin's strategies to accomplish that failed.

We have to be nice to them now because they have a gun pointed at our head. Granted, we have 100+ times the guns pointed at theirs, but that's hardly ideal. We were forced to the table by our own incompetence.

As opposed to the Obama and Clinton administration's success?

Look, I dislike Trump too but this board's knee-jerk reflection that Trump had absolutely nothing to do with this is ludicrous.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
No. That NK should not have nuclear weapons, and that the Bush and Trump admin's strategies to accomplish that failed.

We have to be nice to them now because they have a gun pointed at our head. Granted, we have 100+ times the guns pointed at theirs, but that's hardly ideal. We were forced to the table by our own incompetence.

And what of Obama's? The US is powerful but not even close to being omnipotent. Sooner we realize that the better off we'll be.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Whatever he did it worked and I'm pretty sure whatever was done was done behind closed doors

End of the day it's nice to see this happening.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look, I dislike Trump too but this board's knee-jerk reflection that Trump had absolutely nothing to do with this is ludicrous.
Clinton negotiated the initial deal that Bush broke off. That hamstrung Obama, but he was at least making some progress via the Iran deal framework. Had Obama and Kerry still been in office, an Iran type deal might have been negotiable with NK.

trembli0s

Oct 28, 2017
Clinton negotiated the initial deal that Bush broke off. That hamstrung Obama, but he was at least making some progress via the Iran deal framework. Had Obama and Kerry still been in office, an Iran type deal might have been negotiable with NK.

By the logic of your own posts this makes no sense. If NK was already beyond the point of no return on nuclear development why would they ever have agreed to an Iran-style deal?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
So the country isnjust in shambles then? Im just trying to think of their poor people

The government murders and still has imprisoned a score of its citizens and Kim shakes hands as if its all over

They wont get justice, but hopefully the country gets the resources it needs

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
If we give Obama credit for killing Bin Laden, then Trump deserves at least some credit for this.

As much as I wouldn't like to admit, tough talk from the executive branch seems to have at least played some part in the progress made today. That said, I have little indication Trump had any clear strategy when he was tweeting about North Korea earlier in the year. Based on my limited grasp on foreign affairs -- especially regarding Korea, I'd probably dole out credit for progress as follows: Moon, Xi, Trump, Kim.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That moment when Jong-un stepped into the south and then took Jae-in's hand and led him for a step into the north is an insanely historic moment.
Like, it was jawdropping to see

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't like Trump, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Congratulations to all the parties involved. This is a huge step in the right direction.

This has been a good week in news.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Will North Korea still be an hell-hole for anyone that lives there? Seems like people will keep enabling Kim Jon Un to do whatever he wants.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the logic of your own posts this makes no sense. If NK was already beyond the point of no return on nuclear development why would they ever have agreed to an Iran-style deal?
For the same reason Iran did. Money. Even now, we're not sure they can mate the weapon to an actual missile.

And Trump didn't do jack shit to accomplish this except to possibly threaten a war over the issue. That doesn't do anything to solve the core issue regarding nukes. If and when that occurs, it will be because SK, US, Japan provide economic help or something, which is the original strategy I was articulating anyway.

Last edited:

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I would actually love to know what else is going down in NK besides the collapse of their nuclear testing site that might have pushed Kim further this time in the endless 30 year cycle of isolate, agitate, make demands, ask for aid, return to step 1. Usually this is the time they'd take their humanitarian aid and go home to throw some more families into death camps. Something big must have happened to push Kim to take it further, like being on the verge of full scale rebellion.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would actually love to know what else is going down in NK besides the collapse of their nuclear testing site that might have pushed Kim further this time in the endless 30 year cycle of isolate, agitate, make demands, ask for aid, return to step 1. Usually this is the time they'd take their humanitarian aid and go home to throw some more families into death camps. Something big must have happened to push Kim to take it further, like being on the verge of full scale rebellion.
It's also possible that Un doesn't give a shit about the hangups his father and grandfather had.

Jan 10, 2018
Everybody involved deserves credit for this, including Trump. He's still an awful president but that doesn't negate his role in this.
I don't like Trump, but I'll give credit where credit is due. Congratulations to all the parties involved. This is a huge step in the right direction.

This has been a good week in news.
If we give Obama credit for killing Bin Laden, then we Trump deserves at least some credit for this.

As much as I wouldn't like to admit, tough talk from the executive branch seems to have at least played some part in the progress made today. That said, I have little indication Trump had any clear strategy when he was tweeting about North Korea earlier in the year. Based on my limited grasp on foreign affairs -- especially regarding Korea, I'd probably dole out credit for progress as follows: Moon, Xi, Trump, Kim.

Yeah, this board I swear

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where is this certainty about their test site having collapsed coming from?

Thread:

Saw the majority of news articles claiming it was unstable or collapsed, still, I did put an "if" to hedge!

But even if it's just unstable and at risk of caving, Kim shutting it down as part of the negotiations to show "good will", so this new information puts a proper light on why they agreed to cease nuclear tests for now (because they don't want to risk a collapse and if they need to they can develop a new site if things break off)

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Because this ends the isolation and opens up the country to the world under their terms.

They didn't have the bargaining chips to have talks, now they do.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will only say this to those on ResetEra who are celebrating without any healthy criticism (minus the Trump people): You're jumping the biggest of guns.

Wait for the Trump-Kim summit. It will depend upon Trump and the US government, and if they're willing to try another process of denuking NK over a longer period of time, among other important details. The Trump admin have said they want immediate results instead, but Trump may change his mind otherwise this could fall off a cliff.

And I'm going to keep saying this over and over again: Their test site did not collapse. They're not giving up their nukes. They're not Libya and they're not stupid. They know an agreement means jack shit with the United States. The only way they truly denuke is if their security is guaranteed.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this board I swear
He hasn't. I don't remember me giving credit to Obama for killing Bin Laden or receiving that Nobel Prize either. It's not hard.

Americans are patting themselves on the back while NK has achieved everything they wanted and are now setting themselves up in the position they worked towards in years, while people in NK continue to suffer.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He spoke loudly, and boasted about a bigger button. So he's the anti-Roosevelt in a way?

Why did North Korea continue their ICBM testing while Trump was threatening strikes/war.

Explain how his threats brought NK to the table months after North Korea successfully tested an ICBM capable of hitting the US *while* Trump was threatening them?

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Why did North Korea continue their ICBM testing while Trump was threatening strikes/war.

Explain how his threats brought NK to the table a whole year after North Korea successfully tested an ICBM capable of hitting the US *while* Trump was threatening them?
That's the point I'm making, he didn't actually do much, just speak loudly, as in that's literally it, as far as I see.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He spoke loudly, and boasted about a bigger button. So he's the anti-Roosevelt in a way?
Trump's brinksmanship brought us very close to war. It may have succeeded in successfully scaring the shit out of NK and SK to the point that they were both willing to negotiate. However, Un has succeeded in developing a nuke. What he gets for removing them is completely up to him now- if he gets rid of them at all. Un won pretty much. He has all the options.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's seems good news for South Korea and its people. But still, what will happen with North Korea's people and the humanitarian crimes committed by NK?

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's quite disgusting that some people here see this objectively fantastic news, and all they can think of is "what if it makes Trump look good". Get some fucking perspective.

Captain Goodnight

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mods, why was my admiral ackbar admiring a twerk post removed? How was it inappropriate?

Explaining it kills the humor, but here it is:

It was meant to combine both "it's a trap" with something that on the surface looks off the charts pleasing.

Would enjoy being able to repost it here and/or get better explanation for the warning and post removal

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
objectively fantastic news
What about this is objectively fantastic? NK got into a position where they can afford to this with their nuclear program. They'll get sanctions lifted, their citizens will continue to be treated like shit, and they'll demand a seat at the table.

As to them getting rid of their nuclear weaponry, I'll believe it when I see it.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The scarier part is that this news may cement Trump 2020.

Jesus christ you people scare way to easy

It's quite disgusting that some people here see this objectively fantastic news, and all they can think of is "what if it makes Trump look good". Get some fucking perspective.

Because it's objectively the end goal to legitimizing a despotic regime via the use of nuclear proliferation.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What about this is objectively fantastic? NK got into a position where they can afford to this with their nuclear program. They'll get sanctions lifted, their citizens will continue to be treated like shit, and they'll demand a seat at the table.

As to them getting rid of their nuclear weaponry, I'll believe it when I see it.

Jesus H Christ, how do you get through life being so cynical? It doesn't make you cool, you know.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus H Christ, how do you get through life being so cynical? It doesn't make you cool, you know.

I don't think you understand that this was the entire point of developing the nuclear program for the last three decades. It wasn't just to sabor rattle, it was to eventually use it to legitimize their government due to having such powerful bargaining chips.

I think they first carefully edit the footage and then release it to public.

Most likely, can't risk having something embarrassing happening live.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
So despite the treaty promising denuclearization, the fear here is that NK won't hold up their end of the bargain?

Regardless, despite the peace between two countries, I don't think I like this regime being legitimized.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Because then I don't look dumb praising things just for the sake of it.

The only positive I see here is that South Koreans and Japanese citizens won't have to live under constant missile tests anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.