• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It's so easy to look back and take shots or think it's some conspiracy but in reality it was people being wrong together.

Were you alive then? Serious question. Because for you to believe that you'd have to also believe that Sadam was in on it too. He kicked out numerous UN inspectors and would always pull crazy shit to make the world think he was hiding WMD. Then before the war he straight up denied any and all efforts to verify he didn't have WMD. But yeah it's all false flag nonsense good grief.
Sadam was an idiot, but our government outright fabricated justifications, directly contradicting our own intellegence. Also planted stories in the media while citing those same stories to coroborate their fake intellegence. One of our own covert agents was outed over all this.

BTW, inspections were ongoing finding almost nothing during that time, and inspectors withdrew the day before our invasion. Hans Blix said they had not found evidence of any WMD program.

Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
No one should believe the US government before they provide hard proof that is verified by a neutral outside party.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on fucking what? A long history of making up reasons to go to war in the middle east or something?
Yes based on (very recent) U.S. history. I also don't particularly trust the steady and calm-headed leadership of the Trump administration when it comes to Iran. This is mostly based on John Bolton being a long time advocate for exactly this scenario. And Trump discarding the nuclear agreement. Then more recently there was the story that he wanted to send a hundred thousand troops to Iran if they accelerated on developing nuclear technology - exactly the sort of thing the agreement he threw out would have diplomatically resolved.

There's also quite a number of tweets of Trump saying Obama was going to start a war with Iran to get re-elected. I think he's been angling for this or Venezuela for some time.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Iran and Saudi Arabia have wanted to wipe each other off the face of the planet for so damn long. Wouldn't be surprised if this was just another continued effort there.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yes based on (very recent) U.S. history. I also don't particularly trust the steady and calm-headed leadership of the Trump administration when it comes to Iran. This is mostly based on John Bolton being a long time advocate for exactly this scenario. And Trump discarding the nuclear agreement. Then more recently there was the story that he wanted to send a hundred thousand troops to Iran if they accelerated on developing nuclear technology - exactly the sort of thing the agreement he threw out would have diplomatically resolved.

There's also quite a number of tweets of Trump saying Obama was going to start a war with Iran to get re-elected. I think he's been angling for this or Venezuela for some time.
From what I've read, Bolton really wants to go to war with Iran (which is well established). The Pentagon though really does not, and is more worried about China. My feelings on Trump is that he doesn't really want an actual war, but wants to threaten and bully his way to some sort of new agreement. Thinks he's some sort of master negotiator as usual.

As for the attack, I think it's unlikely to be a direct U.S. false flag. My guess would be a rougue/independently acting element of Iran's military, or someone else (like Saudi Arabia) trying to fan the flames.

As for Bolton's claims, he already lied about having evidence last time. Said he'd present evidence to the U.N. but never did.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump is programmed to believe the economy is the key to winning.

He completely downplayed the journalist murder by the Saudi Crown Prince to make sure it didn't disrupt any trade deals or the market.

He'll likely back off this too, at least directly. He may poke and prod Norway and Japan to retaliate themselves, but I doubt Trump wants to set off another global economic crisis during an election cycle. He cares more about money than anything else.

This is spot on. In this kind of situation, the United States and the Trump administration will not proceed with any military response unless directly attacked.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Is there any possibility this is sebastian shaw trying to start WW3 and charles and magneto are after him?

Scary stuff

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Don't forget that there are quite a few actors in the region (both state and non-state) who'd love to see Iran diminished and feel frustrated by the US not going harder and the rest of the world trading as normal with Teheran.

If it's an action meant to provoke, it doesn't follow that the US is behind it, that's a huge leap if you look at the lineup of suspects.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read too much into this but it seems like another "event" that ultimately will lead to nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me what possible motivation Iran would have to blow up 2 oil tankers? What positives would they gain?
In general(regardless of this specific situation)

Why does North Korea do half the shit they do for example?
They even torpedoed a South Korean Navy ship and killed nearly 50 people onboard in 2010.
How exactly does that help them?

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
feels like we shouldn't rule out this being orchestrated by Mohammed bone saw. Probably not, but that the fucker is ruthless.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In general(regardless of this specific situation)

Why does North Korea do half the shit they do for example?
They even torpedoed a South Korean Navy ship and killed nearly 50 people onboard in 2010.
How exactly does that help them?

They are two countries at war. North Korea attacking a SK navy ship is not that surprising, they can claim the south was in their waters of trying to intimidate them thinking they would not attack or whatever. NK trying to stand up to SK's military is "normal".

Here it's an oil tanker. Not the same thing.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If there's video, it won't be long until I'm sure it will be passed along to all interested countries to verify.
What's strange is that there were US ships nearby, planes in the air, etc... If Iran planted the mines initially and removed this one to try to cover it up they'd surely realize that they'd be detected. It's baffling, particularly with them not really mentioning that either.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Do we usually watch oil tankers and other ships in that area? Also aren't they more likely to get caught pulling unexploded mines then just leaving them there?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Do we usually watch oil tankers and other ships in that area? Also aren't they more likely to get caught pulling unexploded mines then just leaving them there?
Many countries have ships patrolling that area. If it's direct possible evidence, best to remove it. Nothing in the video says 100% it's Iranians so they say it's not them. Blame it on others, possibly Israel, UAE, Saudis and/or etc. At worst, they can say they want to "investigate" the "evidence" and find out who's trying to frame them.

Jan 10, 2018
feels like we shouldn't rule out this being orchestrated by Mohammed bone saw. Probably not, but that the fucker is ruthless.

Regardless of who is the culprit at the hand, Iran is not the most unlikely and not a good guy, it is interesting what already happened in context to other elements like Saudi Arabia.

There are shitton of videos and reports of Saudi Arabias goverment committing crimes. None of these videos, reports and other evidence will ever be watched under the pretext of "Does this justify a war against Saudi Arabia?" Not even sanctions are under consideration.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They are two countries at war. North Korea attacking a SK navy ship is not that surprising, they can claim the south was in their waters of trying to intimidate them thinking they would not attack or whatever. NK trying to stand up to SK's military is "normal".

Here it's an oil tanker. Not the same thing.
They also often get under the table deals to make them shut up for a while. They know this works so the keep rattling their cage periodically.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
Regardless of who is the culprit at the hand, Iran is not the most unlikely and not a good guy, it is interesting what already happened in context to other elements like Saudi Arabia.

There are shitton of videos and reports of Saudi Arabias goverment committing crimes. None of these videos, reports and other evidence will ever be watched under the pretext of "Does this justify a war against Saudi Arabia?" Not even sanctions are under consideration.

not to mention their alarming connection to the 9/11 hijackers

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure in the age of deepfakes we can even believe video in times like this when people are aching for a conflict to relieve them of public pressures.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a false flag, it's stupid. Norway isn't even part of the EU. It wouldn't be in the EU's favor to ignore it, since Norway is part of several trade agreements, but it's not an attack on a member state of the EU.
I'm aware of that. I'm simply saying that if the logic is to make EU support an invasion of Iran, it's strange to do so by attacking a country that isn't part of the EU.
The EU member states wouldn't make that much distinction between Norway, an historic ally with strong economic ties compared to another member. There is no European level military to get into action, it is the mindset of 27 states that would need to be impacted. And the ones like the UK wouldn't care more about Estonia let's say than Norway.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The EU member states wouldn't make that much distinction between Norway, an historic ally with strong economic ties compared to another member. There is no European level military to get into action, it is the mindset of 27 states that would need to be impacted. And the ones like the UK wouldn't care more about Estonia let's say than Norway.

People are also quick to forget that Norway is in NATO.

OP
OP
Muad'dib

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

If there's video, it won't be long until I'm sure it will be passed along to all interested countries to verify.

Interesting, but the Iranian navy was the closest to the tankers and provided assistance to the crew, does the video show that the Iranian navy is responsible or merely removing an exploded mine for safety measures. If it's the latter it doesn't implicate Iran in doing anything malicious.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I hope they will find a peaceful solution for the conflict.

The Pentagon stated last year that 71% of Americans between the ages of 17 and 24 are ineligible to serve in the U.S. military, most for reasons of health, physical fitness, education, or criminality. The propensity of this age group to serve is even lower. The likely demands and casualties of a war in Iran would spell the end of the All-Volunteer Force, requiring the conscription of Americans for the first time since 1973.

Nov 14, 2017
I know you think you sound smart here but you don't. Intelligence can be wrong. Multiple countries believed WMD existed in Iraq. It's not a false flag and everyone regrets the war (mostly) hindsight being 20/20. Bad intelligence isn't the same as thinking everything you don't like is a false flag (which is idiocy).
UN Weapons inspectors said at the time there was no evidence for WMD in Iraq. The 'intelligence' that UKUSA had for WMD was a taxi driver from Baghdad who claimed to be a weapons scientist who wanted to defect. The description he gave of the WMD was totally fictitious, and he got it from watching the Michael Bay film The Rock.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
It's either Israel or Saudi Arabia trying to frame Iran
Iran's Revolutionary Guards wanted to demonstrate that they could do serious damage in case of an escalation.
The Strait of Hormuz is the world's single most important oil passageway, it is the only route to the open ocean for one-third of the world's liquified natural gas. More attacks on oil tankers would spur a major oil price breakout.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

There it is the war hawks even know they need to draft youngsters

as for the video of the supposed mine removal, I can't see any of that, did anyone saw a thing this big being removed by just that one guy pulling the rope? Also who would pull a mine to his ship? if they were insane I could see that happen

5b74884904f16218008b5165-750-518.jpg

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
There it is the war hawks even know they need to draft youngsters

as for the video of the supposed mine removal, I can't see any of that, did anyone saw a thing this big being removed by just that one guy pulling the rope? Also who would pull a mine to his ship? if they were insane I could see that happen

5b74884904f16218008b5165-750-518.jpg

Those aren't limpet mines. Which are small devices that a single diver can carry that are attached with magnets.

1534344007331_untitled2of3-2.jpg

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
People like John Bolton are only interested in the war against Iran, not their political future. So I think they won't care about the backlash. Their biggest fear is that Trump will lose the election next year and then the window of opportunity is closed.

He should care about the backlash I think they are underestimating the power of the individual at this moment in time. Its much greater than it was in the 60s, which is what is about to go down. (ish)

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
My fucking god. We have an Iraq war defense force here. HOLY SHIT. People actually argue that Iraq was invaded in good faith. Here on Era! I can't even begin to imagine what is going on in your random average American party where people gather around and political topics come up.
They are probably blaming Bush for not attacking Iraq sooner and hoping Trump doesn't' make the same mistake with Iran and start the war yesterday.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
So a video of a presumably Iranian coast/revolutionary guard patrol boat, prying an unexploded mine loose from a tanker is now proof that they did plant them in the first place?
Pompeo sure is desperate to create that narrative.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017

From Reddit regarding false flags, interesting.
So there is a video posted from 4 years ago. I dont know how to post it here for context, but it's about how Cheney discussed false flags to get American moral support. It suggested using navy seals in Iranian boats to attack american ships. All before the president visits the Middle East. They didn't do it cause Americans killing Americans wasn't a kosher idea.

Well now the president of Japan is visiting Iran and weirdly at the same time one of his country's ships is attacked. Before most of the American public even knows there even was an attack, the gov't comes out and puts blame on the one country in the region that the industrial war machine is blood lusting over. I'm not saying its odd, I'm just saying its very odd.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I'm so glad Spain pulled that frigate from the US-led combat group in the Persian Gulf a few weeks ago. Probably with the knowledge it would get dragged into something like this.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People like John Bolton are only interested in the war against Iran, not their political future. So I think they won't care about the backlash. Their biggest fear is that Trump will lose the election next year and then the window of opportunity is closed.
He can feel however he wants, he doesnt have the power to make the impossible happen. Those who do absolutely care about their political future. The war talk is bad enough, we dont have to go over board with draft talk.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Since we're speculating wildly… Wouldn't this kind of operation (manual anonymous placement of mines), be something that a private entity could pull off? How hard would it be to get a hold of limpet mines and competent personnel for an operation like this? If an event or series of these events can drive up oil prices more or less over night, couldn't people with considerable oil investments be set to gain a lot by funding some black market mercenary types to do this? I can't figure out what the ROI would be, but I imagine price fluctuations at that level could clear a lot of cash for someone with a sizable stake in the game (either through ownership of stocks or in terms of being a rival oil producer).

I realise I'm into "plot of Die Hard 7"-territory, but what the hell.

Or wait, it's Greenpeace. Of course it is.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Since we're speculating wildly… Wouldn't this kind of operation (manual anonymous placement of mines), be something that a private entity could pull off? How hard would it be to get a hold of limpet mines and competent personnel for an operation like this? If an event or series of these events can drive up oil prices more or less over night, couldn't people with considerable oil investments be set to gain a lot by funding some black market mercenary types to do this? I can't figure out what the ROI would be, but I imagine price fluctuations at that level could clear a lot of cash for someone with a sizable stake in the game (either through ownership of stocks or in terms of being a rival oil producer).

I realise I'm into "plot of Die Hard 7"-territory, but what the hell.

Or wait, it's Greenpeace. Of course it is.

Get some ex-frogman, seals or russian mercs, enough funding on black market you might find some old soviet stuff, for the dive material that's pretty common everywhere