• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely that the Saudis or the UAE are the culprit. This US administration has no credibility, but even they wouldn't be able to get away with a false flag attack. Of course, the official US modus operandi for the Middle East is that anything bad that happens there is automatically Iran's fault, and Saudi Arabia and the UAE know this all too well. I'm surprised that they didn't try to pin Jamal Khashoggi's murder on Iran as well.

Trump already tried the Iran Bamboozle with a half-twist Whataboutism

President Donald Trump has released a statement bashing Iran and defending Saudi Arabia in response to mounting domestic pressure to blame the kingdom for its role in journalist Jamal Khashoggi's murder.

Trump's statement, titled "Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Standing with Saudi Arabia" and released Tuesday by the White House, began by noting, "The world is a dangerous place!" and blamed Iran for its role in "a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq's fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria (who has killed millions of his own citizens), and much more."

The president argued that Iran has "killed many Americans and other innocent people throughout the Middle East" and "states openly, and with great force, 'Death to America!' and 'Death to Israel!'" Trump said, "Iran is considered 'the world's leading sponsor of terror,'" a title ascribed to it by Washington.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many so eager to blame the US and let Iran off the hook if they did indeed do this?

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Why are so many so eager to blame the US and let Iran off the hook if they did indeed do this?

It's a testament to how little credibility the administration has to many on the left. I tend to agree that this is more likely bullshit than an attempted attack from the Iranians, and it will take A LOT to convince me otherwise.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
There are rarely "direct" wars. The US attacking Iran is a very real possibility and seems more likely than not. I get that this is your schtick, but you can't minimize the fact that the whole admin is foaming at the mouth for Iran (or anything else to take the focus off trump).

Trump's entire campaign was anti interventionalism,people like Bolton may want war but he doesn't.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a testament to how little credibility the administration has to many on the left. I tend to agree that this is more likely bullshit than an attempted attack from the Iranians, and it will take A LOT to convince me otherwise.

It's not even just the left. Plenty of people on the right are on that same page too.

"Lets have another military intervention in the Middle East" is not a winning issue with Democrats, Republicans, or Independents.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it's funny how half hearted this was. False Flag or not, there is a serious problem when your administration has no credibility even with your own base. Nobody listens to you, even if for once you had something important to tell the US public.

Would you agree it sounds like the work of the same idiots who decided to kill and butcher a Washington Post journalist in their own consulate? 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Trump literally built his entire adminstration on lies and hand-waving facts. I don't think anyone really takes anything they say seriously, they just expect a certain level of action that makes them feel apprehensive.

For the left, even if Iran was responsible, Trump is gonna screw everything up and fuck us all.

For the right, they think Trump could handle the situation, but they don't want more war (so far).

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Trump's campaign was a lot of things, I wouldn't put too much stock into his "promises".

It's tricky. There is definitely a strong contingent of his cult that are isolationist. When he bombed Syria they got very upset. Trump has set up his administration in a conflicting manner, he preaches a strong military and big guns, but isolationism. The two things are competing priorities and yet he doesn't seem to understand that.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's tricky. There is definitely a strong contingent of his cult that are isolationist. When he bombed Syria they got very upset. Trump has set up his administration in a conflicting manner, he preaches a strong military and big guns, but isolationism. The two things are competing priorities and yet he doesn't seem to understand that.
He doesn't understand anything, I feel his rhetoric is very hawkish (rah rah military) but some of his attitudes are also very isolationist. In truth, he could go either way. I'm confident that there is some part of him that actually wants a war because he has juvenile fantasies about being a military leader.

Deleted member 10224

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With this discussion about Trump being isolationist, here's an interesting video from 3 weeks ago where he mentions "military industrial complex" and not wanting new wars. I'm surprised this video isn't more popular.

It starts around 4:21

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
We are not going to war with iran. People seriously need to stop beating that drum.

There isn't going to be an invasion (which would be required for regime change) as it would require far too many boots on the ground, and there would be far too many allied casualties and destruction in the region. The Iran situation is similar to the NK one in that the only feasible plan of attack against Iran is complete destruction - which can be done by air. This isn't going to happen unless Iran completely flies off the rails and attacks a major US installment, which also isn't going to happen.
I just said it'd be dumb justification. Not that It would happen.

The most that'll probably happen is we'll eventually arm the "good guys" so they can try to overthrow the govt

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
According to a report from DNK (insurer of the Norwegian ship) seen by Bloomberg Iranian anti-missile fired from a naval asset were likely used, and the crew of the ship was indeed forced to enter an Iranian vessel after already being picked up by a commercial vessel. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...er-s-insurer-says-iran-probably-behind-attack
This won't go over well in this thread (or it will just be ignored). Doesn't fit the anti-US narrative.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
This won't go over well in this thread (or it will just be ignored). Doesn't fit the anti-US narrative.
Because you guys are a war hungry blood thirsty pack of hounds of course the rest of us don't believe your bullshit anymore.

But hey, one rocket got shot at your ships where they shouldn't even be at. Time to invade and destroy another country because of one missile! Rah rah murricah!

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Because you guys are a war hungry blood thirsty pack of hounds of course the rest of us don't believe your bullshit anymore.

But hey, one rocket got shot at your ships where they shouldn't even be at. Time to invade and destroy another country because of one missile! Rah rah murricah!
One, how about letting the facts come out before assuming the US orchestrated this. Two, nobody has invaded Iran, so WTF are you on about?

Oct 25, 2017

The UK government is not a reliable source of information.

Here is the chain of events:

15 May – US raises threat level in Iraq over fears of Iran, pulls out all non-essential personnel
15 May – UK Foreign Office offers rare contradiction to the US, say there is no increased threat
16 May

Jeremy Hunt raises threat level on Iran

Jeremy Hunt @Jeremy_Hunt

.@SecPompeo and I discussed #Iran last week in London and again in Brussels on Monday. We share the same assessment of the heightened threat posed by Iran. As always we work closely with the US

7:20 AM - 16 May 2019

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The UK government is not a reliable source of information.

Here is the chain of events:

15 May – US raises threat level in Iraq over fears of Iran, pulls out all non-essential personnel
15 May – UK Foreign Office offers rare contradiction to the US, say there is no increased threat
16 May

Jeremy Hunt raises threat level on Iran

Jeremy Hunt @Jeremy_Hunt

.@SecPompeo and I discussed #Iran last week in London and again in Brussels on Monday. We share the same assessment of the heightened threat posed by Iran. As always we work closely with the US

7:20 AM - 16 May 2019

Is the insurer of the ship reliable enough (allegedly)? How many have to say it was likely Iran before the conspiracy can die?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Is the insurer of the ship reliable? How many have to say it was likely Iran because the conspiracy can die?

It's not a counting game. Countries like the US and Saudi Arabia blamed Iran before anyone even knew what happened, and had their reports contradicted by neutral first parties. That you lap up such obvious motivated reasoning while calling everyone tinfoil hat wearers is unbecoming.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's not a counting game. Countries like the US and Saudi Arabia blamed Iran before anyone even knew what happened. That you lap up such obvious motivated reasoning while calling everyone tinfoil hat wearers is unbecoming.
It seems pretty clear that the US knew what happened right away as they had a drone recording the situation. Just many didn't want to believe it it was Iran. Now that it seems clear that Iran likely was behind this, they are nowhere to be found.

If one is going to subscribe to conspiracy theories, at least come back and admit it was likely wrong when the evidence becomes public.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I'm guessing an instigator is trying to create chaos, as usual.

They're hoping their lapdogs will go to war with Iran so they won't have to themselves, while they pick up the popcorn on the side lines

Snake tactics of those without conscience.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
And yet despite apparently having blurry 5 fps "video evidence" that doesn't show anything, their report was contradicted by the people on the ground (or water, rather).
That report doesn't mean that boat situation didn't happen. Some on the ship saw a projectile. It now seems that projectile may have come from an Iranian boat. That doesn't mean there weren't bombs attached also.

At the end of the day, I get people being skeptical when the US claims Iran did it. But now that the evidence is pointing heavily towards it likely being Iran, sticking with the conspiracy theory (I'm not saying you are) is now more absurd then it was yesterday.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That's a really weird thing for Iran to do.
It would not be weird at all for them to do. The situation raises oil prices (though thankfully it was only marginally), shows they can disrupt the straight (which has been their threat), and they know the US isn't going to do anything about something this relatively minor.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The old 'blame Iran' game that literally no-one is buying. Listening to anything that that the US (or its close allies) has to say is ridiculous.

My favourite part about this particular scenario is that there's not even a logical narrative constructed for why Iran might carry out such an attack. It's so silly.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Is the insurer of the ship reliable enough? How many have to say it was likely Iran before the conspiracy can die?

That's not their conclusion though.

DNK, formally known as the Norwegian Shipowners' Mutual War Risks Insurance Association, declined to comment on the report. The explosion on the Front Altair "was caused by a hostile attack," it said in a statement Friday, without assigning responsibility.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The old 'blame Iran' game that literally no-one is buying. Listening to anything that that the US (or its close allies) has to say is ridiculous.

If at this point you aren't buying that it was likely Iran, then I don't know what you need to see.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm out of the loop. I thought the latest was that the owner of the Japanese tanker straight up says the Trump admin is sharing false information?