• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
As much as I like Nier Automata, I simply cannot take an RPG that builds aroung re-plays. My life is not long enough for that. Give me everything in one play through.
A single play through Dragon Quarter only takes fifteen hours at the ansolute max though. If you add up all the times you reset and run through the game again, it still takes up less time than most modern RPGs. Heck, I think I spent more time geating the good ending in Hollow Knight then I spent seeing the ending of Dragon Quarter.

Dragon Quarter's design is absolutely brilliant. Replaying old areas doesn't at all feel like filler, since the dungeons are laid out in branching routes that let you experience a whole new dungeon on your second or even third trip through several dungeons. The new story scenes added through later playthroughs also keep the story fresh.

Most of all, it is just plain fun getting further through the game with each playthrough as you get stronger.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I like Nier Automata, I simply cannot take an RPG that builds around re-plays. My life is not long enough for that. Give me everything in one play through.

You don't need to replay it. It's just an option if you want. If you don't know what you're doing, the first playthrough is probably about 20-25 hours.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
The official BoF II localization is honestly one of the absolute worst official RPG localizations I can think of. It's utterly abysmal. It would be doing the game an injustice not to play with the fan retranslation. There are some unintentionally amusing bits in the official localization to be sure, but those can easily be looked up without putting yourself through the whole game with it.

I appreciate the workload Ryusui put into the fan re-translation, but I take some issue with the over-embellishment of the character's speech patterns and some added bits here and there that didn't exist in the Japanese original. I do understand in some localization projects (even official ones) the person doing the localization may add their own personal flair to it that didn't exist in the JP text, but I think it was taken too far. With that said, I think it could be worth checking out, but not at the expense of avoiding paying money for the original game. At the end of the day, the original version of II is still very much playable and beatable even with the OG text.

If anything, it's wonderful seeing how far JRPG localization has come from the late 80s / early 90s to now. BoFII wasn't the only RPG / other games at the time that had that sort of quirkiness (See: Phantasy Star, Secret of Mana, The Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Harvest Moon, Robotrek, Lufia).

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. The RE2 guys (making a remake of a template that already exists) would have no idea on how to tackle an RPG like this.

Itsuno, with his experience with Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma, would be the perfect candidate for it. Or maybe some of the designers on Monster Hunter.

Ultimately Capcom hasn't made a traditional RPG in so long not sure if they really have a development pipeline for it.

Monster Hunter Stories was a pretty traditional RPG.

Oct 26, 2017
I need to get back to Breath of Fire IV on my Vita. Not a big fan of how often I feel like I have no idea where the fuck to go next. But great games. 3 is one of my favorites.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I should probably play 1 and 2 sometime, I got into the series with 3 but loved every entry since (with the exception of 6). Whether they returned to a classic style more like 4 or did something experimental like DQ I'd be happy either way.

So, so bummed about how many older rpg series died off with the PS2 and PS3 generations.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Also can we all agree that BoFIII and IV have the best fishing minigames of all time? I gotta say that FFXV came close with theirs. Interestingly, BoFIII co-composer / BoFIV composer Yoshino Aoki composed the fishing music in FFXV. 🤣
I may or may not have bought a PS1 fishing controller just for this.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quarter was my first BoF game so going in i had no particular expectations and really enjoyed it. Even tried going for the 1/4 D-ratio, but one of the runs froze in the final dungeon so fuuuuuck that. DQ makes you feel SO powerful--more than the other games imo. BoF IV is gorgeous though!

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
220px-Breath_of_Fire_6.png

No idea what Capcom was thinking when they came up with that. Hopefully we will see a real BoF VI, unlikely as it is. I don't think Capcom is interested in making traditional JRPG anymore. Even Dragon Quarter doesn't felt like the previous BoF.

It's amazing how much the art can be part of a game's identity. Just looking at this screams "Fake BoF."

Imagine classic FFVI without Minaba and Amano's artwork. Dragon Quest without Toriyama. Street Fighter II without Akiman.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
They share the original character design but have it in a different style that still evokes classic DQ.
I'm no art major so can anyone better describe this?
It keeps true to the same aesthetic of the Toriyama art. It's like when you see the designs of Amano's FF character reworked, but the general aesthetic and feel of those designs remain close to Amano's design. There can be an artistic twist to them, but they still feel "right" regarding what they represent.

2e295edfc54a426ee5c5699e4ec48703.png

They don't feel "off" like the BoF6 ones. Regardless of being like that for MANY years, I still can't get used to the Tony Taka style of the Shining characters. My standard will always be the older style. I think unique artists and styles help create signature looks to a franchise. Toriyama's definately got his own style, as does Amano, as does Nomura. Tatsuya Yoshikawa was like that, as was Yoshitaka Tamaki. But then you get to more garden variety stuff... the stuff you'd see on plastic folders at a discount store, 1 out of many gatcha games vying for attention, or in a Kemco RPG game. I'm less enthusiastic about that type of shit. For no-name titles, I guess they do the job, but for a big series... gotta reach for something better and more memorable than "garden variety" that looks "just like everything else".

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of art styles, there's some early art of BoF3 floating around showing that Tatsuya Yoshikawa had started out using the same style he had used in BoF2.
bof3sprites.jpg

Which explains why some of the characters' sprites don't look anything like their artwork. There's also a sketch of what older Ryu would have looked like in that style.
ryu-nina-beta.jpg

There's also some concept art from BoF1 that was really clearly done by Keiji Inafune that fits really closely with a couple of the sprites.
bof1-misc01.jpg

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, I remember seeing that child Nina/Ryu art a while back, and the sprites from the first half of the game suddenly made more sense.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of art styles, there's some early art of BoF3 floating around showing that Tatsuya Yoshikawa had started out using the same style he had used in BoF2.
bof3sprites.jpg

Which explains why some of the characters' sprites don't look anything like their artwork. There's also a sketch of what older Ryu would have looked like in that style.
ryu-nina-beta.jpg

There's also some concept art from BoF1 that was really clearly done by Keiji Inafune that fits really closely with a couple of the sprites.
bof1-misc01.jpg
Those look pretty go---..... those boots.