• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the external link but you have to see the animated sprites. I almost cried of nostalgia (did a search thanks to this thread):

http://1ychee.tumblr.com/post/101257781832/suddenly-nostalgic-about-breath-of-fire-3-i

Capcom 2D art in the 90s was out of this world.
I've noted this elsewhere, 90s Capcom had games colorful as fuck and it was a BEAUTIFUL THING! One of the things I LOVED about them was that instead of just relying on the gradient of specific colors to show lights and shadows, they relied on use of cool colors for shadows (lots of blues and purples) and warm colors (orange and yellows) for lighting/shine. Something wouldn't just be ONE color (or a gradient of one color).

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Whose dick I have to suck to get Capcom to re-release BoF IV on PC?

No way I'm fucking around looking for a CD that would still require more fucking around to make it work on modern OS.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I REALLY hated Dragon Quarter when it first came out for being different.

Would probably be all over it today though.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Breath of Fire, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, Suidoken, Growlanser, these are all old jrpg's series that I wish were still around.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Playing BoF I for the first time. I had only played 3 and 4 as a kid and really, really liked them. It's cool to see how the series started and I'm loving how different it is than even other games from its time. Shoutout to the music too -- the series has always had its own thing going on musically, and it's cool to see it started with 1.

Maybe I'll jump right into 2 if I'm not too burned out after beating 1.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
God Yes! Loved BoF 4.
I really liked this mock up by Simon Andersen(Owlboy):

Yeah I've seen this, looks so good but I really want this now. Here is another one.

375.gif

giphy.gif

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom don't make turn based RPGs anymore though, so the closest we'd ever get is a cameo appearance or DLC costumes in the inevitable Dragon's Dogma 2. Speaking of which, whatever happened to the series writer/director Makoto Ikehara? Think Ikehara's last credit was on Dragon's Dogma as the writer and that was 7 years ago...

EDIT: Apparently Ikehara made some forgettable Japan only mobile game 6 years ago. lol.
Monster Hunter Stories is a turn based RPG, so they do still make them, just rarely.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I've noted this elsewhere, 90s Capcom had games colorful as fuck and it was a BEAUTIFUL THING! One of the things I LOVED about them was that instead of just relying on the gradient of specific colors to show lights and shadows, they relied on use of cool colors for shadows (lots of blues and purples) and warm colors (orange and yellows) for lighting/shine. Something wouldn't just be ONE color (or a gradient of one color).

Yeah it was both artistically and technically marvelous.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down if they make the next Breath of Fire with the graphical levels of RE2 and DMCV.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Playing BoF I for the first time. I had only played 3 and 4 as a kid and really, really liked them. It's cool to see how the series started and I'm loving how different it is than even other games from its time. Shoutout to the music too -- the series has always had its own thing going on musically, and it's cool to see it started with 1.

Maybe I'll jump right into 2 if I'm not too burned out after beating 1.

Breath of Fire II is my absolute favorite. Got it for my birthday a few months after it came out and I have so many precious memories of it. It's a big upgrade from the first game in so many ways.

Pierru

Dec 12, 2017
My fav is still BoF II but love the IV anime opening.

Always felt like eternal summer holidays =)

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's some basic tips for anybody who wants to try Dragon Quarter. It's a very unique game - kind of like a much better Vagrant Story IMO. It's like a weird combination between a Strategy/RPG, a survival horror game, and a roguelike (despite not being random).

You can beat the game without restarting or using dragon form in battle (outside of a couple story moments when the game automatically activates it) - those are just tools that allow you to essentially lower the difficulty.
Dragon form is basically a limited use god mode that lets you skip any boss (or otherwise) fight that you want, but if the meter reaches 100%, it's game over and the only way to lower it is to reload/restart.
Healing is done with items (no heal spells) so always make sure to stock up when you're in towns.
Take advantage of trap items to make battles easier, especially early on.
Fewer enemies in battle is easier, but having more enemies in a single battle gives a multiplier to the XP gained. It's not unusual for a single strong enemy to be surrounded by a lot of weak enemies - take advantage of this for a lot of XP.
Get multiple weapons and set them up with different skill sets so you have more options in battle.
The game is designed to be replayed - when you beat the game, you get a rank. The best rank is 1/4 (Dragon Quarter). Better ranks & more replays results in more cutscenes scattered throughout the game (like for example, at the start, your partner leaves you to talk to the supervisor - in replays, you get to see what they talk about) and allows you to unlock certain doors with new bonus areas. There's also an uber bonus dungeon that you can unlock via the faery town mini-game.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
DragonQuarter - It's definitely on the list! I just happened to see BoF 1 when I was in Japan last month, and since I already have the others, I figured, why not?
One of my best friends has been recommending me 2 for years and I'm really excited to play it!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some basic tips for anybody who wants to try Dragon Quarter. It's a very unique game - kind of like a much better Vagrant Story IMO. It's like a weird combination between a Strategy/RPG, a survival horror game, and a roguelike (despite not being random).

The game is designed to be replayed - when you beat the game, you get a rank. The best rank is 1/4 (Dragon Quarter). Better ranks & more replays results in more cutscenes scattered throughout the game (like for example, at the start, your partner leaves you to talk to the supervisor - in replays, you get to see what they talk about) and allows you to unlock certain doors with new bonus areas. There's also an uber bonus dungeon that you can unlock via the faery town mini-game.
This is one of the main things that makes me love this game so much. It's like Capcom stripped the entire genre down to the studs and rebuilt it in their own image. A highly replayable score based JRPG with tons of emergent complexity and layered gameplay systems? Hell fucking yes

kenshee

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah that sounds like the end. Kenshee actually beat the game back then but must've thought they lost.

To clarify, I never actually could land the killing blow on the last boss there, even with dragon mode, I'd hit 100% and thus game over before doing so, I was probably being very inefficient about it all, it was quite unique, probably my first rpg where I couldn't grind to solve problems lol. Good to know all I missed was the ending then though, I remember as a kid I was hoping
that was the end of "part 1" and after that you'd explore the surface world, that it was actually fine and you were being lied to your whole life, meet multiple dragons and basically unlock the usage of the dragon mode, lifting the timer and stuff. So I was basically hoping I was playing a long brutal intro of a huge rpg follow-up to BoF IV.
Silly in retrospect, but I refused to spoil myself on what came next back then. I'm happy to know now though, feels like a bit of closure, thanks Ferrio and Aexact!

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing BoFI on Vita through emulation and I couldn't agree more. The only game in the series I haven't played yet is 5, but I - IV are all great RPGs, visually arresting and fun to play.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This series is legitimately fantastic, and with Capcom's recent ability to create absolutely amazing revivals of their franchises my heart aches to see a Breath of Fire revival.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Also can we all agree that BoFIII and IV have the best fishing minigames of all time? I gotta say that FFXV came close with theirs. Interestingly, BoFIII co-composer / BoFIV composer Yoshino Aoki composed the fishing music in FFXV. 🤣

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Breath of Fire 4 has the most beautiful sprite work of all time. Those animations were beautiful. That's all I want from a new BoF. I'd even play it on a stupid phone.

Also loved Dragon Quarter, and wish I had kept it to replay.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
220px-Breath_of_Fire_6.png

No idea what Capcom was thinking when they came up with that. Hopefully we will see a real BoF VI, unlikely as it is. I don't think Capcom is interested in making traditional JRPG anymore. Even Dragon Quarter doesn't felt like the previous BoF.
They spent tons of money on this and a mobile studio with their MH monies. It all failed, though.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Also can we all agree that BoFIII and IV have the best fishing minigames of all time? I gotta say that FFXV came close with theirs. Interestingly, BoFIII co-composer / BoFIV composer Yoshino Aoki composed the fishing music in FFXV. 🤣

I also really like fishing in Dark Cloud, but there's nothing like some BoFIII and IV fishing. So relaxing.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the best ways to get/play 1-3? I know V is just a PS2 game and I have a PSN copy of IV.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So what are the best ways to get/play 1-3? I know V is just a PS2 game and I have a PSN copy of IV.

I played on both SNES and GBA for the first two, and SNES is better only because I find the GBA hard to play on. But really didn't see much difference. Is 3 not on PSN like 4 is?

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017

GBA versions of I and II have some QOL improvements, but the SNES version of 2 with the Retranslation patch is the only way to play it. The original translation for BoFII was abysmal. You can patch the GBA version of BoFI to have the SNES colours and music as well as some more text improvements. Probably the best way to play that one. BoFIII is best played on a PSP/Vita.

Legend of Dragoon needs to come back more

But wouldn't be against BoF as well

While a dragon power rangers RPG deserves a chance to be done well, BoF is a very solid foundation to continue from, LoD not so much.

Last edited:

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017

Breath of Fire is on New Nintendo 3DS eShop + Wii U eShop (via SNES Virtual Console)
Breath of Fire II is on New Nintendo 3DS eShop + Wii U eShop (via SNES Virtual Console)
Breath of Fire III (PSP Version) is on PSN, so you'd need a PSTV, PS Vita, or PSP in order to play

Also you don't need a translation patch to enjoy Breath of Fire II. Game's still fun without it (still my favorite BoF and RPG to date), and the wonky translation does have a bit of charm here and there (think: RE1's original voice acting). The game's story / plot is still perfectly understandable.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
The official BoF II localization is honestly one of the absolute worst official RPG localizations I can think of. It's utterly abysmal. It would be doing the game an injustice not to play with the fan retranslation. There are some unintentionally amusing bits in the official localization to be sure, but those can easily be looked up without putting yourself through the whole game with it.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I loved these games, especially 2, but I don't see how this series can actually continue. The only age group that would care about it as a franchise has pretty much aged out of JRPGs.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree. The original Breath of Fire was my first RPG ever.

I am very attached to the series. It's like an alternative to Dragon Quest. I'd love to see a modern BoF game with a DQXI look to it.

Dragon Quarter was ahead of its time and is actually my second favorite in the series.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
BoF IV has such phenomenal music (and a great story, graphics, battle system, etc). I would love to see the story return on a high note.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
What does this even mean? Only younger people like JRPGs?
I am confused by your suggestion that someone could 'age out of' JRPGs.

Obviously this won't apply to everyone, and especially people that post here are likely to be in the small group that would buy a new BoF, but yeah I think JRPGs have a much more limited appeal to people in their 30s than people in middle school. JRPGs require a much bigger time investment than most other genres, which limit their appeal to pure nostalgia. I can play a nostalgic throwback for 8 or 10 hours and have a good time, but 60 hours is way over my limit.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously this won't apply to everyone, and especially people that post here are likely to be in the small group that would buy a new BoF, but yeah I think JRPGs have a much more limited appeal to people in their 30s than people in middle school. JRPGs require a much bigger time investment than most other genres, which limit their appeal to pure nostalgia. I can play a nostalgic throwback for 8 or 10 hours and have a good time, but 60 hours is way over my limit.

Right, I'm only still playing JRPGs out of nostalgia for a genre I never played as a kid. Not because I enjoy them.

Thank you for setting me straight.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I wasn't aware that he was the only talented guy at Capcom. I think there has to be people at Capcom now who enjoyed the series themselves and can do it justice. Kamiya and Mikami aren't at Capcom anymore and that didn't stop a really solid RE2 remake from happening.

That's my point. The RE2 guys (making a remake of a template that already exists) would have no idea on how to tackle an RPG like this.

Itsuno, with his experience with Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma, would be the perfect candidate for it. Or maybe some of the designers on Monster Hunter.

Ultimately Capcom hasn't made a traditional RPG in so long not sure if they really have a development pipeline for it.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
That's my point. The RE2 guys (making a remake of a template that already exists) would have no idea on how to tackle an RPG like this.

Itsuno, with his experience with Devil May Cry and Dragon's Dogma, would be the perfect candidate for it. Or maybe some of the designers on Monster Hunter.
It wasn't aware that Itsuno and "the RE2 guys" and "some of the designers on Monster Hunter" are the only people working at Capcom now.

My point is we need to stop thinking only known people in a huge company of hundreds of developers can "save" something. Talent and passion comes from places we least expect but first opportunity must be given for them to try.

Before Naoki Yoshida led the FFXIV revival at Square Enix, who even heard of him?

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
3 & 4 were some of my favourite games ever, and still are. 5 was interesting for being more fun the more you played through it. Did not enjoy the plot or characters or dragon system though.

Don't think i have the ability to replay them now, but this thread makes me want to.

Revival on Switch please. Convince Capcom, Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It wasn't aware that Itsuno and "the RE2 guys" and "some of the designers on Monster Hunter" are the only people working at Capcom now.

My point is we need to stop thinking only known people in a huge company of hundreds of developers can "save" something. Talent and passion comes from places we least expect but first opportunity must be given for them to try.

Before Naoki Yoshida led the FFXIV revival at Square Enix, who even heard of him?

Well sometimes it really feels like there are just those guys working there.

It's effectively the Monster Hunter and Resident Evil company. With the occasional remaster and Itsuno game sprinkled with a bit of Ono inspired Street Fighter.

How long it took for them to get a Mega Man game coming was absurd.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I like Nier Automata, I simply cannot take an RPG that builds around re-plays. My life is not long enough for that. Give me everything in one play through.

Last edited: