• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense, even if a lot of it is contrived because of obvious retroactively forced continuity. But the larger strokes of it do make sense.
I understand why Nintendo wants to ditch the baggage of 30 years of continuity, but it's still a bit annoying lol.
Oh come one ;D I mean, there a a few games that got a sequel... kinda... (prequels and sequels) but overall? Nah. People should accept the fact that Nintendo never really cared about a real timeline. They simple made a new Zelda, with a new "story" and never card about a real continuation. They cared about the gameplay. Not about the story. That's it. But a lot of hardcore fans believe in it, for whatever reason. So I know it makes no sense to discuss this topic. It never ends (well) :-P
btw. I love the AVGN episode about it.
Fuck this whole timeline nonsense. It's been stupid from day one.
This.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've said before that they never wanted to reveal timelines and then they did anyway, so I'm sure we'll learn eventually where it takes place, even if it's just randomly shoehorned somewhere.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aonuma is just putting off revealing what everyone's been dreading:

That the timelines in Zelda are cyclical.

BotW is the end of the previous cycle and the beginning of the new one.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
So in every era in the game link always exists? So there are multiple Link(s)? Are they all the same or kinda like different reincarnations?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

However not all Zelda games are considered canon. For example Hyule Warriors, Link's Crossbow Training, Legend of Zelda BS: Ancient Stone Tablets, and the TIngle series isn't part of the timeline.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
We have the end of the Hero of the Time one.

We have the end of the Brave New World one.

We have the end of the Fallen Hero One.

All this in the same game.

Everything appoints for timeline convergence, and the end of all the lines.

Well, unless that someone said another possibility that a Korok, a Gerudo, a Lynel and the Master Sword on the Lost Woods in the same game.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
"We realised that people were enjoying imagining the story that emerged from the fragmental imagery we were providing. If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn't be as fun.

"We want players to be able to continue having fun imagining this world even after they are finished with the game, so, this time, we decided that we would avoid making clarifications. I hope that everyone can find their own answer, in their own way."

SOURCE

Existence is misery.

That's THE ENTIRE PROBLEM in having an official Zelda Timeline, which I've been firmly against since the day they announced Hyrule Historia would give us one.

And it only got worse after the infamous triple split timeline.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Mystery canon. I like it! Very Zelda-like!
hqdefault.jpg

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. Each Zelda game should exist in it's own little bubble. The timeline is an idiotic concept. Nobody needs it.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
"If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn't be as fun. INSTEAD BUY THIS TIMELINE BOOK THAT IS JUST TO FUCK WITH YOU SINCE LOL WE DONT WANT A RESTRICTIVE TIME LINE!"

81nFFXHbPOL.jpg

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was really really well executed. The world told the story and when it clicked for me I was actually trying to piece events together by myself from time to time.

Additionally you felt like Link. Waking up without memories and gaining knowledge about what happened with traversing through the world, speaking to people and regaining memory fragments. It feels like a magnum opus in that regard.
I really felt how this game is a continuation of the principles of Zelda on the NES. You just start the journey and get sucked into it. Without anyone telling you what to do. You run in a direction and things just happen.

That's what I thought as well. I also particularly liked the fact that you could use your abilities and weapons throughout the game and get up to the final boss at any time. The formula had gotten stale...I never even bothered beating Skyward Sword and I consider Zelda to be my favorite series.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they should make the sequel fucking bonkers and go all in on the timeline convergence thing. have all the zelda timelines converge onto each other destroying everything. something like the botw style open air version of the ringed city with aspects and areas from all the zelda games collapsing onto each other to form a sprawling, apocalyptic and disfigured yet beautiful game world to explore. go fucking crazy with the story and make it both an ending and the actual beginning of the zelda timeline. like link having to set in motion the events that would lead to the creation of hyrule by the goddesses. that once time was messed with in ocarina time slowly spun out onto itself. yep. that'd be a hell of a way to do the whole majora style sequel to botw.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
While the official timeline seems nonsensical, simply making all the games their own bubble makes no sense either, as many of games have always been connected. Especially from OoT to SS.

Link to the Past is a prequel to 1 and 2
OoT is a prequel to the first three.
MM, WW, and TP are all very open about being OoT sequels.
SS is very obviously a prequel to all of them.

You can argue all about the other games though as they as aren't as directly connected.

As for BotW, I'm in the "Eventual far future of all timelines" camp.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"We want players to be able to continue having fun imagining this world even after they are finished with the game, so, this time, we decided that we would avoid making clarifications. I hope that everyone can find their own answer, in their own way."
Well said! I love Zelda timeline theories and really feel the series works best this way.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
They're all just legends anyway. They aren't exact replications of what once transpired but rather inaccurate memories retold to us through interactive gameplay.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"There is no timeline, wake up sheeple!" has always been a bad take. Adventure of Link is a sequel to the original. ALttP is a prequel to it. Link's Awakening is a sequel to that. OoT is a prequel to ALttP, and Majora's Mask is a sequel to that.

There's obviously relationships and connections between these games that are very much intentional. Now, they don't really match up under scrutiny because Nintendo is always gameplay first, lore second, so it's dumb to get too caught up in the details. But there's very clear connections between the games from the beginning.

That being said - having BOTW as a "soft reboot" far future timeline is probably a good call, and I expect that it will be the setting for 3D games going forward. 2D might still hang out in the original timeline.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The timeline was a mistake, it's nothing but trash

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
"We realised that people were enjoying imagining the story that emerged from the fragmental imagery we were providing. If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn't be as fun.

What I've been saying all along. This, more than anything, is Zelda to me.

Post-SS Epihany Aonuma is a blessing. I can't be more excited for the future of this series.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The story isn't very important in Zelda but the lore is. It's very unique within the medium for that to be the case. I can only think of the Souls games, Metroid, and a few others.

The fact that the story line is so fragmented really adds to the mystic of the games. And if they were to be too obvious about the timeline again like they were with Skyward Sword and the Hyrule Historia or with ALBW, I think it would detract from the series.

BotW in part felt so cool because you never knew what you were going to see and you were also trying to piece together what happened in the past. And it's stull fun to speculate on it.

Nov 5, 2017
Good. It was always fun to think about how some individual games in the series were connected with one another, but trying to force every game into a set timeline (or three) was never a good idea.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
How hard is it to say like 10,000 years in the future. You get what you want a Zelda game that is not restricted by the stories of the older games, and you give me closure