• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The final thing I'd like to convey to all of our players is that video games, not just Zelda, can go much, much farther! We got a lot of responses from adult players who said they felt the same way playing this game as they did when they used to be hooked on video games when they were younger," Aonuma explained in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Creating a Champion.

"We made this game with the intention of returning to our roots, so the response from players about feeling the same as they had when they were young is promising. Since Nintendo Switch is portable, I hope that they will be able to engage deeply with the game in a fresh, new way too."

"In books like the recently released The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, we revealed where each Zelda game fell on a timeline and how their stories related, but we didn't do that for Breath of the Wild. There is a reason for that. With this game, we saw just how many players were playing in their own way and had those reactions I just mentioned.

"We realised that people were enjoying imagining the story that emerged from the fragmental imagery we were providing. If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn't be as fun.

"We want players to be able to continue having fun imagining this world even after they are finished with the game, so, this time, we decided that we would avoid making clarifications. I hope that everyone can find their own answer, in their own way."

SOURCE

Existence is misery.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Is that an easy way to say "actually it doesn't fit on the timeline and it doesn't matter"

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is great news. Create a new continuity that is not beholden to that old stuff. Let's redefine this universe.

Excited by this sentiment.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
This is great. If only they would retroactively declare the existing timeline non-canonical and allow the other games to exist independently of each other.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, because there is no timeline. The whole Zelda timeline stuff makes zero sense.

Oct 29, 2017
Knowing that Oot's Ruto is mentioned as living on the distant past before they build the guardians and that is more than ten thousand years before the game takes place already makes it so far removed from the main timeline that it is kind of unnecessary.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was really really well executed. The world told the story and when it clicked for me I was actually trying to piece events together by myself from time to time.

Additionally you felt like Link. Waking up without memories and gaining knowledge about what happened with traversing through the world, speaking to people and regaining memory fragments. It feels like a magnum opus in that regard.
I really felt how this game is a continuation of the principles of Zelda on the NES. You just start the journey and get sucked into it. Without anyone telling you what to do. You run in a direction and things just happen.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sounds like a Four Swords Adventures situation where for the longest time all we knew was that it took place after Four Swords, but then they placed it somewhere nobody would have guessed.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
This does not, and never has, made sense.
While there isn't any sort of evidence for a "convergence event" so to speak, there is evidence that elements from all three timelines happened in some way in the Breath of the Wild timeframe. The suggestion isn't that the timelines "merged" just that all three timelines lead to Breath of the Wild. The order of their history is slightly different, but the end result the "destiny" is still the same.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I will never not be amused by people that constantly post "Timeline does not matter" and will keep posting in threads about it in a way that make it obvious that they are REALLY bothered by it lmao

The main theory is it is a convergence of all three timelines.
No? Pretty sure that was always a mess and nobody really took it seriously.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
"We realised that people were enjoying imagining the story that emerged from the fragmental imagery we were providing.

Nailed it right there. The imagery in the series has always pointed towards connections rather than explicitly try and place things in a sequence. If people want to appreciate the imagery as loose connective tissue, they can. If they want to use their imagination to craft elaborate storylines, they can do that also. When you keep things ambiguous, everybody wins!

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
I like the idea that it's so far into the future that all three timelines regardless of what happened will all end up with the same result that is BotW.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It obviously will at some point. They used to say that the timeline would be a "mystery" until they noticed they could use it to sell stuff.

I don't care anyway. It's just meaningless to me.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I like the idea that it's so far into the future that all three timelines regardless of what happened will all end up with the same result that is BotW.

Yeah I always thought that was a cool idea. And that's what timeline convergence means. Why people can't wrap their heads around it, i don't know.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Anybody who pays attention already knows that Breath of the Wild takes place between Faces of Evil and Zelda's Adventure.
But Nintendo just isn't ready to reveal that dark truth.

Aonuma was a CDI fan all along.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Timeline convergence.
It just feels like a cop out to me lol.
I don't know if it's a cop out or not, but I feel like they just copied it from Gundam. It has the same thing.

All alternate universes end up in the same place far far in the future, with civilization being destroyed and rebuilt:

latest

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, because there is no timeline. The whole Zelda timeline stuff makes zero sense.
It makes sense, even if a lot of it is contrived because of obvious retroactively forced continuity. But the larger strokes of it do make sense.
I understand why Nintendo wants to ditch the baggage of 30 years of continuity, but it's still a bit annoying lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's a cop out or not, but I feel like they just copied it from Gundam. It has the same thing.

All alternate universes end up in the same place far far in the future, with civilization being destroyed and rebuilt:

latest
I would have been down for this, but they made timeline divergence such an integral part of the lore that it feels totally antithetical to it to say "nah they actually converge" now lol.

They don't know the answer either lol
Basically...

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. Just let every Zelda game be its own self-contained continuity (aside from occasional sequels i.e. Majora's Mask).

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I like the idea of the timeline but I think it should only be relevant for certain games.

For example we know Wind Waker's link to the past (har har!) is relevant to the world. How BotW links to the older games is not so that's why I'm okay with them not defining it.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is that an easy way to say "actually it doesn't fit on the timeline and it doesn't matter"
Grammatically your sentence is correct, but semantically the sentence needs some revision.

It is supposed to be "is that a complex way to say....."

Also, i never play zelda games but are all zelda games set in one universe and different timeline?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
We all already know the series wasn't really designed from the beginning with a timeline in mind, and sure they don't want to be restricted by it, so makes sense.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough.

It's clearly at the very end though. Ganon finally dies having canibalised the energies that kept resurrecting him. Technology has advanced as far as it could go. The last Temple of Time lies in ruins.

It's the calm, the people of Hyrule are finally free.