• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Many seem to enjoy the fact that Breath of the Wild allows players the freedom to head directly to Ganon's Castle at the beginning of the game, beat Ganon and complete the game in mere hours. The Any% World Record as of today actually completes the game in under 30 minutes.

But I've personally been more interested in the opposite of the spectrum. A run that is, in my opinion, the grand daddy of speedruns: Breath of the Wild HUNDO. 100% completion for a BOTW speedrun is an absolutely gargantuan task, and requires players to complete the following:

• All container upgrades
  • All 120 Spirit Orbs from Shrines
  • All heart containers from Divine Beasts
  • Complete all Quests
  • 15 Main Quests
  • 42 Shrine quests
  • 76 Side Quests
  • Obtain all 18 memories
  • 100.00% map percentage counter
  • All 900 Koroks
  • All Locations
  • All Shrines
  • All Towers
  • All Key Items
  • Shiekah Slate+ with all runes upgraded
  • Paraglider
  • All Champion abilities
  • All Kilton medals (Kill all 40 Hinox, 40 Talus and 4 Molduga)
  • All horse bridles and saddles
  • Hestu's Gift (given after retrieving all 900 Koroks and fully expanding your inventory)
  • Confidential Envelope (received after completing your Compendium)
  • All Permanent Weapons
  • Master Sword
  • All Permanent Fully Upgraded Armor
  • Champion's Tunic
  • Zora Helm
  • Zora Armor
  • Zora Greaves
  • Cap of the Wild
  • Tunic of the Wild
  • Trousers of the Wild Thunder Helm

The amount of freedom in a run like this is obviously staggering, and that's kinda what draws me to it. I can't even imagine the planning involved for a route that covers not only such a massive map, but all of that above criteria.

Of course, the first thought on anyone's mind is... How long does it take to do ALL of that shit? And can you even do it in one sitting without sleeping/dying?

The answers are: long, and yes! Well, sometimes yes.

Our current world record holder, SpecsNStats, submitted a 44 hour 100% run last year, shaved 10 HOURS off his second run, and continued to whittle the time all the way down to the current world record: 22 hours, 29 minutes and 49 seconds! Specs used to run the game under RTA rules (Real Time Attack), meaning once that timer starts, it doesn't end until you complete the requirements. In other words... no breaks. In a 24+ hours run. He eventually managed to complete the game in just over 25 hours in a SINGLE SITTING, no sleep.

It was around this point that the BOTW 100% community decided maybe... lets NOT. For everyone's health, the runs are now completed with TA rules (Time Attack), allowing players to pause the timer and stop playing to get some sleep before returning to complete the run. In Specs' current WR run, he ONLY plays for 13 hours and 38 minutes before going to get some sleep and finishing off the final 9 hours of the run. What a fraud amirite

Also, this probably won't stop the trolls from drive by posting the usual "this guy has no life" or "glitches don't take skill", but Specs is happily married, streams full time and his daughter often makes guest appearances on stream. It's pretty adorable.

Anyways. the biggest fucker of this entire run is easily... the golden shit. Players are rewarded with said shit after collecting ALL 900 KOROK SEEDS. With 900 unique collectibles spread all across the map, an already complex run is made even more ridiculously complex. And time consuming.

Luckily, players have found a new technique that promises to be an absolute game changer for BOTW hundo as players become more and more comfortable executing it: Korok seed duping!

The current world record is the first (as far as I know) completed BOTW 100% run that uses this new trick. Exactly 1 HOUR was shaved off the previous WR using it, and it's still not even close to being optimized. Indeed, at around the 16:30 mark, Specs begins duping Korok Seeds... FOR NEARLY FOUR HOURS STRAIGHT. This fucking run is madness.

Obviously the duping isn't exactly the most entertaining thing to experience, but having watched one of his runs before (over the course of like 2 weeks), this run has definitely given me a new found appreciation for Breath of the Wild. Some of the tricks used when it comes to quickly traversing the world, completing shrines/dungeons and overall combat I would have never discovered on my own, and I've gone from never wanting to 100% this game to "maybe one day."

Here's the full 22 hour run in 3 parts:

tl;dr you've done dumber shit with 23 hours, it's a fun watch.

Last edited:

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I really need to go back and finish this. I'll have to watch a bit of his run to see if I can save some time on my 150 hours played, run.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Duping Korok seeds for four hours straight sounds like utter hell. What are his viewer numbers like?

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Duping Korok seeds for four hours straight sounds like utter hell. What are his viewer numbers like?

Yeah... some 100% games aren't meant to be speed run.... I dunno , man It feels bad inside. Poor guy , this isnt even fun to watch right?

not to derail the topic, but are there games in similar scope (say gta) that are worth watching acomplish the 100% speed run?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just the 900 Koroks, to me, is the biggest accomplishment. That's just craziness. What a run.

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

He usually gets a couple hundred viewers at least. There's a ceiling for such insanely long runs, people want to see world records but they don't want to wait that long to see it :P

I think he'll only find more success as time goes on and the run gets more and more optimized. Sub 20 hours would be a good start...

Yeah... some 100% games aren't meant to be speed run.... I dunno , man It feels bad inside. Poor guy , this isnt even fun to watch right?

not to derail the topic, but are there games in similar scope (say gta) that are worth watching acomplish the 100% speed run?

I used to speedrun GTAV any% and that alone was a 6+ hour run. 100% is insanity (WR for GTAV is around 10 hours), though it's still nothing compared to BOTW. I think the MGSV 100% world record is like 48 hours long. Some of these modern open world games just get insane.

The gold standard for 100% runs is Ocarina of Time. ZFG gets thousands of viewers and has a 3 hour 51 minute world record. That's the sweet spot right there, I think.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'd bet that the duping glitch will be eventually separated into its own category, considering the Korok seeds are all unique from each other.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
He usually gets a couple hundred viewers at least. There's a ceiling for such insanely long runs, people want to see world records but they don't want to wait that long to see it :P

I think he'll only find more success as time goes on and the run gets more and more optimized. Sub 20 hours would be a good start...

I used to speedrun GTAV any% and that alone was a 6+ hour run. 100% is insanity (WR for GTAV is around 10 hours), though it's still nothing compared to BOTW. I think the MGSV 100% world record is like 48 hours long. Some of these modern open world games just get insane.

The gold standard for 100% runs is Ocarina of Time. ZFG gets thousands of viewers and has a 3 hour 51 minute world record. That's the sweet spot right there, I think.

How do you even do a 48 hour speedrun? Like it is allowed to save so you can eat/sleep/not die?

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet that the duping glitch will be eventually separated into its own category, considering the Korok seeds are all unique from each other.

Most likely, yeah. No Source Requirements category.

I'm totally fine with it considering just how stupidly long this run is. If we can get the Korok seeds a bit faster, that's fine with me, it doesn't take much away from all the other crazy shit you'll see in this massive run.

On the other hand, ZFG is doing NSR 100% runs for OOT, and it's... crazy. The screen just freezes for like 5 minutes as he enters various inputs. When he regains control of Link, he just obtains a bunch of items and the textures get all fucked up. It's faster than normal 100%, but far less fun to watch imo

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'm down with glitches, but having uncollected Korok Seeds out there in the world just makes me instinctively feel like the file isn't 100% yet, even if technically you managed to collect the reward. Unless I'm misunderstanding the dupe glitch?

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome. I've been watching a lot of speed runs lately, so I'll give this one a shot.

Why the hell weren't breaks allowed for this length of a SR is beyond me 🤔.

OP
OP
Anth0ny

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down with glitches, but having uncollected Korok Seeds out there in the world just makes me instinctively feel like the file isn't 100% yet, even if technically you managed to collect the reward. Unless I'm misunderstanding the dupe glitch?

Yeah, you're right. And that's why there's probably going to be two separate categories going forward for BOTW 100%: one requiring players to collect every item from its original source (as you describe), and one that does not have such restrictions (dupe glitch)

Lmao theres some baiten kaitos speedrun for the GC thats like over 300 hours long for the wr

omg

this is beautiful:

Why is it so long?

In this game, items evolve over time. There is an item, the Shampoo, that takes literally 2 weeks (= 336 hours) to evolve into Splendid Hair. Don't ask why the creators decided this, they probably love memes.