• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In excited to see how the world progresses post BotW. I want to see the towns expand and the world redeveloped. I love that they're doing this.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hopefully this is it, yeah.

I just don't want it to be the same map, even if it has new things in it. I spent close to 200 hours scouring that map. I know it like the back of my hand. How can there be a wonder of discovery if I already know the lay of the land?

I think it's way to early to even begin to wonder that. But yeah, I don't want the same map either.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
The actual physical locations are not what made that game special, it was what you were finding and doing at those locations that made the game special. It doesn't matter that the geometry of the Great Plateau is the same, if I'm like riding a dragon and saving Midna while I'm there that is a new experience.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I wanted, an expanded Hyrule. Now I know there has to be dungeons too.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean , it's a direct sequel so obviously it's going to be in that world. That doesn't mean Hyrule itself will be the exact same.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
The caverns that Link & Zelda were exploring looks massive and raised Hyrule Castle above the ground . Could this trigger a huge change in the map?

Oct 27, 2017
There's a different connotation from what he actually said and OP interpretation of it being "the same hyrule", which wasn't said

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Er, the wording is:

"One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story"

(emphasis mine)

It's pretty clearly going to be the same Hyrule.

---

Cautious about this--exploring a new world was basically the entire point of Breath of the Wild, just reusing the same world doesn't sound very fun.
I mean, even if they changed absolutely nothing about the world (which has maybe a 1% chance of happening) - you can be assured that they'd change the context of it enough to make it interesting again.

You could argue that Link to the Past used the same "world" twice, same layout and everything, but the context is all different and as a result it feels like a second game. I've no doubt this will do the same. You may ride through the same valley, but the ride itself will be totally different.

PedroPanache

Oct 28, 2017
I would like all those filled in wells to lead somewhere in BOTW2. I was disappointed that they never properly explored the verticality of the world. So, let's see some new wells, and let's explore the depths or something. I don't know. I'm excited and kind of deflated at the same time, but I know Nintendo, they'll pull something special out of the bag with this content.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
One good note about re-using Hyrule, is that should cut down on development time since they won't have to create a ton of new content from scratch, but rather alter/edit it

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I really think there's a (although minimal) misunderstanding here, because of the language barrier. We should wait for more info on the game before we jump to such conclusions

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly it could be a post-BotW overworld + exploring older Hyrule beneath the ground? Just an updated version of the same overworld would be kind of boring to explore, kind of like ALBW largely reusing ALttP's map.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I think they are really going to expand the world and give us massive new areas to explore both above and below ground, while also adding more to the existing overworld. They know what they are doing, they know it won't be fun for players to just explore the same world again.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I wonder how much of that game world will change, because they can easily use a time jump or magic to explain map changes.

Seeing callbacks to existing areas in BotW would be cool, but to roam the same exact map as BotW would be a bummer even if it meant new traversal mechanics.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If this is reusing a lot of BoTW assets like Majora's mask did with Ocarina, then this thing is a lot closer than anyone thinks. Holiday 2020 I'd say.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
They have the right to reuse assets, models, etc if it results in an even stronger game, BotW1 was massive and gorgeus , it just lacked stronger varied enemies and more (or good) story content.

Specially if its a Switch sequel wich isn't that different from Wii U in undocked

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Really doesn't mean much. There are a thousand different ways to take the "same Hyrule" and mix it up so that it isn't at all the same game world beyond similar biomes.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As long as there's....

-Less focus on shrines, more stuff to actually do in the overworld. The shrines started losing their edge after clearing about 50% of them.
-More permanent ability upgrades and actual tools to use rather than just the handful of abilities we had in BOTW1
-Added Cataclysmic effects to the ennvironment, such as explorable chasms and ravines to help open up exploration
-More established towns and areas dotted around the map if a time lapse happens from the first game to the second.
-More actual dungeons

Then I'm happy.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted them to reuse assets more like Majora's Mask where Termina was a new world but used existing assets from Ocarina. Disappointed by the news that it will be Hyrule once again. But i'm confident that they will find a way to switch things up. Otherwise, why make a sequel and not just DLC. I trust the devs.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's all about how they use it. I don't really need a new map if they're clever about how they add or change things about the existing one.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since they teased a tunnel system under Hyrule castle I suspect we'll get a big underworld in addition to a slightly revamped Hyrule from BotW 1.
There will be enough content to warrant a sequel otherwise it would just be an expansion.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'd definitely be fine with a game designed around stuffing new things into the foundation of a very similar world map, but that kinda just sounds like "yeah we're doing a direct sequel instead of jumping to something radically different like most zelda sequels do."

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly so long as they add new stuff and change it up a bit I'll be happy. Botw was such a joy to play even with it's short comings. I trust enough will change and be added to make it a worthwhile entry.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_n1poh7qYKs1rjql2co2_250.gif

What if they add this guy and it totally transforms traveling in this world? Loftwing + Paraglider. Holy shit.

And then just add in flying enemies/mounted flying enemies that can challenge you in the sky.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong using the original map as a foundation. They can warp parts or add parts to the map via the story. Maybe there will be a new underworld component based on the trailer. They just need to add more to the overworld to diversify encounters and make it more lively, varied and interesting, so it isn't so repetitious when someone is 50+ hours in.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since they teased a tunnel system under Hyrule castle I suspect we'll get a big underworld in addition to a slightly revamped Hyrule from BotW 1.
There will be enough content to warrant a sequel otherwise it would just be an expansion.
Yeah, I'd like an underground network. That's one cool way to retain a wonder of discovery and exploration.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
As long as they've filled out the world with more content than just shrines and stables (an additional town or two is cool), then I'm totally fine with them giving us the exact same world layout with a slightly fresher coat of paint

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
One good note about re-using Hyrule, is that should cut down on development time since they won't have to create a ton of new content from scratch, but rather alter/edit it

Yeah, i don't need devs killing themselves and starting from scratch with each game. Had there been (even) more stuff in BotW's world I would still be playing it, so even if the base map is the same, having different/new towns, features and challenges in that world will be enough for me

If there are underground areas, then that can open things up considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.