• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Eh for all we know, the beginning portion of the game could take place in the BoTW's Hyrule.

The castle could move to a complete new location thereafter.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how people spent 200+ hours in Hyrule unless they really were going for all the Koroks. I explored every single area and beat the game in like 60-80 hours.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they kind of pull the Zelda 1->Zelda 2 trick with this, that would be fine (though excessive).

Full underground network? Okay, I'll take it.

Dark World? I'll take it.

Ideally, this should have been a new map.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If we get to explore Hyrule after what happened and see how things changed, that would be cool.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The old map is obviously going to change. The Castle area alone is definitely not gonna be the same, and I'd bet other areas will suffer similar fates since who knows how vast that underground network truly is

And they could very well expand some of the map boundaries too (like towards the West)

I couldn't tell if the dust brushing aside from the castle in the trailer was just to indicate where the underground tomb was or if it was about to show the castle flying into the sky or something, but my idea is that we are witnessing the creation of a "Dark World" of sorts right before it cuts out, and that's gonna be how the environment gets switched up.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean , it's a direct sequel so obviously it's going to be in that world. That doesn't mean Hyrule itself will be the exact same.

The Zelda series is no stranger to direct sequels. majora's mask, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, are all direct sequels. But this would be the first time they've ever reused a world map.

Edit well, except for link between worlds, but that had decades between releases...

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The population has been rebuilding since calamity Ganon was defeated. It will be completely different.
But.
But.
How long has been since the ending of 1? Because Link looks the same , Zelda just cuts her hair, and Calamity Ganon is back again 🐖
Maybe they are not the same Link and Zelda as last game, but their kids 🤔

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a thought

Guerilla Games dev
expresses their desire in an interview to return to the world of Horizon Zero Dawn

I repost that quote here in a new thread
I position that quote as proof that HZD2 will reuse HZD1's map

How long does THAT thread last before it's locked? 15 minutes at best?

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the first thing you saw in the trailer, so I didn't expect anything else. Still disappointed, however.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Zelda series is no stranger to direct sequels. majora's mask, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, are all direct sequels. But this would be the first time they've ever reused a world map.
Third time technically. But Zelda 2 recontextualizes the first game's map as a small part of a larger world, while ALBW reuses the same map as a 22 year old game, as opposed to a 2 year old one.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
excellent. the world was way too good to be only used in one game anyway. i'm sure they'll do a lot to make it feel new and exciting to explore again.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It likely will be the same Hyrule, but that doesn't mean Aonuma can't pull something akin to WoW's Cataclysm did to Azeroth and change that world in different ways. Something familiar yet different.

This is post-BOTW timeline. So things will likely look different as you aren't stuck to a timeline where you haven't beaten the game yet.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People thought they are going to design a whole new map and populate it with different things, and have it ready 3 years after the first game?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think i like this. Exploring new areas was the best part of BOTW and that feeling of discovery might be significantly diminished if it's mostly the same world in BOTW2. Even Majora's Mask had a completely different world from OOT, despite the asset reuse.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My take on this is that I trust Nintendo and whatever direction they take with Zelda. They will not put out too similar of a game.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's fine and all but OP you haven't included the part where I spoke to him immediately afterward and he confirmed to me that it would also be using the same weapon breaking mechanic and the same Divine Beasts. People would not be so 'concerned' if you included that I think.

/s

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the focus this time is gameplay and story. They'll obviously update the map to adjust for a timeskip and a post calamity Ganon is "defeated" world, but not having to redesign the entire map allows for focus in other areas which is fine by me. Loved Botw, but this could give us a different experience in the same world.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the bulk of locations will be new, be it underground or parts outside of Hyrule, but I wished they would have taken the quest to a totally new land. Completely fresh slate.

I love the idea of more underground exploration, but there's only so much you can do there aesthetically. I also want new forests, jungles, deserts, etc.

Oct 26, 2017
Resetera is a disaster. The toxic in all these threads are just wow!

This game will be awesome chill People.

They are adding new things to this amazing open world wtf do you guys think... lol

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't a selling point to me. The BotW map was shallow. Tons of open space with nothing interesting. Zelda games have done it better before.

Previous titles (as much as I love most of them) feel like amusement parks with attractions every five feet, some more so than others (the world in SS is awful, with its disconnected "levels"). BotW feels like an expansive world you can actually explore and go on a real journey in. I hope they never go back to the old style again.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
I'm a firm believer a "Dark World" will return.

I'm assuming when the ground crumbles underneath Zelda when Ganondorf wakes up causes her to fall into the "Dark World" after Link lets go of her.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that there will be an astonishing amount of new content. I'm cool with them continuing to build out the universe they established in BotW. Game is going to be amazing.

Plus, the benefit of this using BotW as a starting point is we could see the final product sometime next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I wonder how they will handle dungeons (if they add them, please....please....please) If it is the same map I wonder how a bunch of dungeons are now going to show up, of course if they don't do them then...well nevermind.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
People are taking that quote too literally. I expect something will happen to drastically change up the map. For how core the exploration is in BotW, they wouldn't just use the same map again without doing something. But I have 100% confidence in them anyway.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there's any benefit to having a save from the first game.

Also hoping engine sees a dramatic improvement since it will no longer have to worry about Wii U backward compatibility.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Inb4 lock
Ten pages from now lmao
In just enough time to allow this leap to proliferate as fact

God first BoTW had no towns and then Mario was an auto runner with NDC as its hub world and then Ultimate was just a mere Wii U port and now this?
God Nintendo, just gawd.

Status
Not open for further replies.