• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine with me. There were lots of elements in BOTW's map that implied interesting lore (e.g. labyrinths, desert statues) that BOTW didn't make interesting use of from a story perspective.
Also, obviously the shrines/dungeons at the very least are not gonna be the same.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a thought

Guerilla Games dev
expresses their desire in an interview to return to the world of Horizon Zero Dawn

I repost that quote here in a new thread
I position that quote as proof that HZD2 will reuse HZD1's map

How long does THAT thread last before it's locked? 15 minutes at best?
I don't get what you're trying to imply lol, BOTW is my favorite game ever, and I've made that fact abundantly clear on this forum (veering on being obnoxiously loud about it, if some people are to be believed).

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who thinks the Zelda team are just going to give us the exact same world lazily copied and pasted hasn't been paying attention to how meticulous the Zelda team is.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
So they are going with a heavy facelift of the world or some sort ? The good thing is that they can capitalize on the excellent world design and improve things way more in a shorter time.

On the other hand,I hope it doesn't come off as a reskin. Either way,let's see how this goes

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. They should pull a "A Link to the Past" and let Link enter the Dark World. "Same" world, but different.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
World can literally mean anything. It doesnt mean the map will be the same otherwise I dont see why they wouldnt just make dlc

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the focus this time is gameplay and story. They'll obviously update the map to adjust for a timeskip and a post calamity Ganon is "defeated" world, but not having to redesign the entire map allows for focus in other areas which is fine by me. Loved Botw, but this could give us a different experience in the same world.
Totally agreed with all of this. Not to mention all of the different ways they could play with everyone's expectations coming off of spending 100+ hours exploring BotW's world.

I also am excited by the prospect of a new 3D Zelda game not taking 5+ years to release. Something like this is always a potential trade-off, and I'm fine with it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know! You would think people would have a little bit more faith in Nintendo by now. Even if they would use the same map, it would obviously be recontextualized and populated with brand new reasons for exploration.
right?! you would think people would have more faith in nintendo making a sequel to one their best and most important games ever.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll hold you to it lmao

no offense but you could use even the tiniest bit of common sense and you'd come to the same conclusion

they pitched it as a sequel to Breath of the Wild. you think they're just going to have some new quests on the same map and that's the game? honestly?

love and respect but also whew lawd this thread

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
With just a little imagination you can see that this will obviously not be the exact same map. Each area will most likely be revamped, the world will have progressed with the time skip (which Zelda and Link's new hairstyles imply). You can already see areas changing with Hyrule castle lifting out of the ground, so it is already confirmed the map will not be literally the exact same as Botw.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They surely will significantly change areas of the game world, they can't leave it the exact same, there would be no incentive to go and explore at all.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I was initially disappointed that it will be a direct sequel to BotW, and this news doesn't wash away that disappointment, but I'm still going to try to stay open till we have more details. If it's going to be basically BotW 2.0, then that'll really be disappointing for me.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
It makes me really fucking mad they didn't go with a new type of zelda game. I mean, they could just used some of the ideas and design of botw but why making a second part? Is it really necessary?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy about this. BotW Hyrule was absolutely glorious. I'd love to see how the kingdom has moved on from Calamity Ganon. Rebuilt, improved, expanded perhaps. New towns, repaired landmarks, etc.

Replace the Shrines with an underworld -if that's what the teaser showed us - and you've got a vast and brand new element to go alongside the familiar.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Previous titles (as much as I love most of them) feel like amusement parks with attractions every five feet, some more so than others (the world in SS is awful, with its disconnected "levels"). BotW feels like an expansive world you can actually explore and go on a real journey in. I hope they never go back to the old style again.

We're legit on the opposite ends of this. I know I'm in the minority, people absolutely adore BotW... but yeah, the game did very little for me. If it is more of the same I probably won't end up playing it, which is weird since I've played every Zelda game at this point.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me really fucking mad they didn't go with a new type of zelda game. I mean, they could just used some of the ideas and design of botw but why making a second part? Is it really necessary?
BotW was the best selling Zelda game of all time. Nintendo would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get what you're trying to imply lol, BOTW is my favorite game ever, and I've made that fact abundantly clear on this forum (veering on being obnoxiously loud about it, if some people are to be believed).
I know and I believe ya.

I'm suggesting that you jumped the gun a bit, and that for whatever reason, varying degrees of FUD (intentional or otherwise) re: Switch games have been allowed to fester here in ways I don't think would be tolerated with a wide range of other games.

That's what I mean when I said a like-for-like HZD2 thread would already be locked.

Nobody is going to see DMC V on the horizon and immediately assume, "Oh shit, DMC is a River City Ransom clone now", and that line of thought would get shut down quick.

but for a time, Mario Odyssey was an autorunner.

You see what I'm saying?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're legit on the opposite ends of this. I know I'm in the minority, people absolutely adore BotW... but yeah, the game did very little for me. If it is more of the same I probably won't end up playing it, which is weird since I've played every Zelda game at this point.

it's gonna be more Breath of the Wild

that's why it's a sequel to Breath of the Wild

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agreed with all of this. Not to mention all of the different ways they could play with everyone's expectations coming off of spending 100+ hours exploring BotW's world.

I also am excited by the prospect of a new 3D Zelda game not taking 5+ years to release. Something like this is always a potential trade-off, and I'm fine with it.
Yeah, if anything I am excited tthat this game will probably not be too far off, while also being excited for seeing how this awesome world and characters will have progressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.