• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciD_Vain

Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm sure it will be fine. It's not like they're just going to have the same 100+ shrines in the same locations. Hopefully there are more lively towns involved.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Awesome. 3+ years of development building on the amazing foundation of Breath of the Wild... This game is going to be insane.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It makes me really fucking mad they didn't go with a new type of zelda game. I mean, they could just used some of the ideas and design of botw but why making a second part? Is it really necessary?

Yes, it's the first Zelda game of its kind, or at least the first one in the vein of the original now in 3D, after like 4/5 entries that just basically used a well established formula created in the early 90s. And it sold and reviewed beyond their wildest expectations. They were obviously going to make a sequel to it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy about this. BotW Hyrule was absolutely glorious. I'd love to see how the kingdom has moved on from Calamity Ganon. Rebuilt, improved, expanded perhaps. New towns, repaired landmarks, etc.

Replace the Shrines with an underworld -if that's what the teaser showed us - and you've got a vast and brand new element to go alongside the familiar.
This so much. The same overall layout does not mean, in any way, a 1:1 copy or lack of new geography/elements. It's exciting to see how they'll make exploring this world fascinating again.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
But.
But.
How long has been since the ending of 1? Because Link looks the same , Zelda just cuts her hair, and Calamity Ganon is back again 🐖
Maybe they are not the same Link and Zelda as last game, but their kids 🤔
The magic of videos games makes the timeline not matter. Technology, magic, sheer will of the communities helped build quicker than in the real world. Boom, game explained.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
So many people here think it will be the same map unchanged...
this will be a time skip version of BotW map, Ganon's defeat from BotW occurred, towns will have lived in "peace" for a bit. The castle lifts off the ground in the trailer...

this will not be a 1:1 map copy-paste

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get that from anything that was said
How do you not? It's the same world, engine and a sequel. They aren't going to drop a core gameplay pillar for no reason no matter how much I'd like them to.
But it's not shitty.

It forces you to improvise, use your surroundings and new weapons you otherwise wouldn't.
I'm glad you liked it but for me it was obtuse and annoying. In the end it took away from the game.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
neither a fan of the botw map, nor of this kind of rehashing they already did in links between worlds.

lame.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new Zelda from the ground up would require a 5 year dev cycle too.

This is for the best. Throwing away the BOTW engine/world after just one use would be stupid.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Are you all seriously thinking that a sequel to a game which greatest strength was the exploration is going to feature the same map so that there is no real exploration any more? Come on! He means the same universe. Not the same map.

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this as long as there's another big Zelda title in development. This just feels like DLC so far. I'm sure it's going to be great though.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I gotta say, by far the most disappointing thing about the BotW DLC was that it all took place on the same map and didn't introduce any new regions. And I find it tough to feel enamored with the prospect of exploring when replaying, since I got all the Korok seeds and know the world so well at this point.

So I hope they've found a way to make exploration interesting within the extent to which they recycle from BotW.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
The magic of videos games makes the timeline not matter. Technology, magic, sheer will of the communities helped build quicker than in the real world. Boom, game explained.
right a whole populated Hyrule town like the concept art would be plenty fun to explore
images

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're legit on the opposite ends of this. I know I'm in the minority, people absolutely adore BotW... but yeah, the game did very little for me. If it is more of the same I probably won't end up playing it, which is weird since I've played every Zelda game at this point.

There are others that feel like you do, but you are vastly outnumbered by those that don't. There was so much talk about how stale the Zelda formula was becoming, and BotW completely revitalized it in most people's eyes. Can't imagine Nintendo going back now. The open air style is here to stay.

But I'm sure they'll still also make more traditional "2D" Zeldas (like LA), alternating between the two, only now on the same console instead of home console and handheld. That's what they do with Mario, so why not Zelda. But I don't think we're getting another OoT style game anytime soon, if ever.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
BotW was the best selling Zelda game of all time. Nintendo would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel
They just did make a brand new type of Zelda game.

It's called Breath of the Wild.

I understand it was great. I enjoyed it so much... But why not aiming towards another direction? I mean, I understand the argument of "would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel" if the first one was so successful. But we are talking about Nintendo's Zelda team. I'm sure they are a little different than most companies out there. They can afford to take risks, and they have proven successful over the years so why not trying again?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm ok with this as long as there's another big Zelda title in development. This just feels like DLC so far. I'm sure it's going to be great though.

This is the big Zelda that is in development. Barring something unexpected like a spin-off or yet another unannounced remake.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
I'll be as disappointed when this turns out to be true as I was when Mario Odyssey was an auto-runner and BOTW had no towns.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does continuity works on Hyrule? I get Zelda games are independent but this as a direct sequel... I mean you can't just wipe out all the shrines for the sake of it

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I understand it was great. I enjoyed it so much... But why not aiming towards another direction? I mean, I understand the argument of "would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel" if the first one was so successful. But we are talking about Nintendo's Zelda team. I'm sure they are a little different than most companies out there. They can afford to take risk, and they have proven successful over the years so why not trying again?
The opportunity cost of not developing an open world Zelda game for like 7 years after they became popularized was so huge I doubt Nintendo will ever deviate significantly from that concept again in their big budget projects.

Where they'll innovate is in how the worlds get constructed.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand it was great. I enjoyed it so much... But why not aiming towards another direction? I mean, I understand the argument of "would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel" if the first one was so successful. But we are talking about Nintendo's Zelda team. I'm sure they are a little different than most companies out there. They can afford to take risks, and they have proven successful over the years so why not trying again?

Because great games get sequels. Ocarina got a sequel, Super Mario Galaxy got a sequel, TLOU Bayonetta Ace Attorney Splatoon.

Are you really saying that the Zelda team should be above sequels?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe by that Hyrule and world he means this particular iteration of the Hyrule mythology.

So BoTW's universe, not the actual map.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cant give a shit really. They can make the world identical to the first and I'll absolutely it eat up. Day zero, preordered, the whole works.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat disappointing. I'll reserve judgment until we see more. This hasn't worked in other series where they reused maps, but if it has a time skip and/or is heavily re-worked it could be pulled done well.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Boy do people love trying to pin specific meanings onto vague statements which have passed through a translator.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Breath of the Wild Hyrule was glorious but reusing a map from the previous game goes against what made it one of the best games ever. Exploration of the unknown is the whole point.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as this means that it'll actually be optimized for Switch then I'm all in baby!

Love that world and if they can get the performance at a solid 30 then it's going to be such a joy to revisit again.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to see how the world is rebuilding! It's going to be an absolute joy to return to Hateno! And I want to see how Terry Town is getting by!

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Oh come on, they did same map/different worlds multiple times in the same game and it was absolutely fine. They change it enough that everything feels different. I'm not worried at all

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Don't bet against the sequel to BOTW.

Just don't do it.

BOTW was just the start for them. Now they really get to show what they can do.

BOTW was a Wii U game, that also had to contend with Nintendo's complete lack of understanding making an open world game AND reinventing the franchise.

The more I think about it, the more I think this game will be some earth shattering shit once again.

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
Because great games get sequels. Ocarina got a sequel, Super Mario Galaxy got a sequel, TLOU Bayonetta Ace Attorney Splatoon.

Are you really saying that the Zelda team should be above sequels?

Basically yes. That's what I'm saying. I don't know if my opinion is too harsh on this but Zelda is at the top of the top of videogames. They are, in my opinion, the most prestigious team of games developers out there. Don't you think second parts kind of kill the magic of lots of media?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this true then the trailer did a poor job of communicating this. It's too samey, visually. They must be aware of this.

I fail to see the issue. Yours is the first comment that seemingly believes that there is another secret big Zelda game in development other than the sequel to the biggest Zelda game of all time.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Basically yes. That's what I'm saying. I don't know if my opinion is too harsh on this but Zelda is at the top of the top of videogames. They are, in my opinion, the most prestigious team of games developers out there. Don't you think second parts kind of kill the magic of lots of media?

No. Not if done right.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Discovering an empty Hyrule 'destroyed because of some ancient war' novelty worked once, it won't work again.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I remember that one. People saw that screenshot of the Sand Kingdom that happened to be in a linear section and jumped to the conclusion that it must be an auto-runner.
There was a Mario 64 heart right there the whole time, and people spared no time in pointing that out.
From day 1 we were privy to an in-game object with known function only seen in 3D Mario games before it.
Suggesting that Odyssey was literally as far from being an auto-runner as a Mario game could be.
and yet that thought proliferated enough that we can joke about it here.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

No, Nintendo's best 2 games ever are Majora's Mask and Super Mario Galaxy 2, two different but still fundamentally sequels to critically acclaimed games of theirs. There is no problem with this.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested to see what they do with this.

Obviously they're going to do something to keep the game compelling, so I'm looking forward to what they do.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018

1) Majora's Mask turned out great.

2) Lots of games at the top of the gaming mountain top are there because of sequels. There aren't that many game IPs that are held in a high regard that are one and done. Zelda is one of them. Just because each game is a different story doesn't mean that Zelda isn't a series of sequels.

The idea of "revisiting hyrule again" scares me. And makes me think they are in for losing the creatity they put into the first game.

I disagree. I think having an existing platform to tweak will free them up to be more creative. They've already got a strong foundation and don't have to worry about making every little detail from scratch. They can invest more time into the changes to make sure they are fully fleshed out and unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.