• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did people really think they were going to make a whole new map + what looks to be like dungeons and caverns in less the 5 years? Uhhh

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild Hyrule was glorious but reusing a map from the previous game goes against what made it one of the best games ever. Exploration of the unknown is the whole point.
I feel the devs obviously know this, and I assume is a big focus during development - if they can't recreate the magic of discovering a whole new world, what's something else they can do to keep the player mystified? I assume a heavily augmented world may be the answer. Maybe cavernous ruins that run under a large section of the world? We saw Hyrule castle being uprooted during the trailer, so maybe other parts of the world will have the same happen to them and reveal new dungeons. Who knows.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell just from the quote that people will make poor assumptions and bad takes about the game.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild Hyrule was glorious but reusing a map from the previous game goes against what made it one of the best games ever. Exploration of the unknown is the whole point.

No one said they're literally re-using the exact same map. Dollars to donughts there will be new areas to explore. The freaking castle lifting off the ground kinda implies it's going somewhere you haven't been before.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's Zelda team has some of the best game designers in the industry. If they're making a sequel set in a new world they'll make it interesting; if they set it in the same world they'll find a way to make that interesting too. Might be foolish of me to blindly trust them like this, but I'll believe they know what they're doing until I'm clearly shown they don't.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
How does continuity works on Hyrule? I get Zelda games are independent but this as a direct sequel... I mean you can't just wipe out all the shrines for the sake of it
Most of those shrines and the towers emerged from the ground when Breath of the Wild started. It is entirely possible that the Sheikah ruins have returned to slumber and have all gone back underground. So it wouldn't be a stretch at all for them all to be gone and replaced by something new.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've put in more than 250 hours of BotW and I still find things I have never seen before nearly every time I play it. This doesn't disappoint me at all. Depending on how mu h time has passed, we will probably have new towns and structures anyway.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Folks, I'm sure they'll alter the environment so you're not literally just exploring the exact same topography haha. Like, come on, they know how sequels work, they're not just going to drop you into the exact same world, exactly as you know it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time ... they are totally different games. Nintendo doesn't really ever seem to have a lack of ideas, it more getting those ideas into a game in a reasonable time frame.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent too many hours in the existing Hyrule. I know it like the back of my hand. I wanted to feel that pull of exploration again to see new sights/landscapes. I don't actually care for reskinned stuff.

Give me a new world to explore.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've spent too many hours in the existing Hyrule. I know it like the back of my hand. I wanted to feel that pull of exploration again to see new sights/landscapes. I don't actually care for reskinned stuff.

Give me a new world to explore.

You'll get new areas to explore. Did Mario Galaxy 2 and Majora's Mask not have new areas that weren't in their predecessors?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
We're legit on the opposite ends of this. I know I'm in the minority, people absolutely adore BotW... but yeah, the game did very little for me. If it is more of the same I probably won't end up playing it, which is weird since I've played every Zelda game at this point.

I'm with you in that BoTW didn't do anything for me, in fact it is my least favorite Zelda ever and I have played them all sans the two DS games. However, the open world wasn't really my issue with it so I am fine with them keeping that going and even using the same map if that is what they do. I just want the world to be actually filled with things from the older games. I want dungeons, a much much more diverse monster and enemy selection, dungeons, classic equipment/items that were not in this one, I don't really care bout being able to climb shit so the hookshot would be nice, oh and dungeons.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be okay with that as long as they do some updates to show the passage of time since the first game.

More villages, a more advanced and developed town, new routes or bridges, more tech, etc.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of my fear, hopefully it means more towns/dungeons, etc. It won't have that same sense of wonder that the first one did since you'll have an inkling of what is around each corner, even if it is 5 years later.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize that this means the same Hyrule in terms of this being BotW, right? It would be like him saying we're revisiting the same universe again.

Highly, highly doubt this means it's going to be the exact same map. Landmarks, sure, but everything down to the smallest details? You guys know they are going to remix stuff. :x

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Pull a Pokemon Gold on us and make the revamped old land the second region of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title definitely doesn't match the quote.

Revisiting the same world doesn't mean literally the same map. It refers to the characters, the lore, etc.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Galaxy 2 is set in the "same world" just with new levels, Majora's Mask is also a direct sequel. This is likely the same type of thing.
Breath of the Wild's entire gameplay drive was exploration. That's the difference. Seeing something in the distance and wondering what it is.

See that mountain in the distance? You can go there. Not You've Been There.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize that this means the same Hyrule in terms of this being BotW, right? It would be like him saying we're revisiting the same universe again.

Highly, highly doubt this means it's going to be the exact same map. Landmarks, sure, but everything down to the smallest details? You guys know they are going to remix stuff. :x

Part of the appeal of the first one was seeing that giant split mountain for the first time and saying "fuck it I'm going to climb that" just because you could. If the landmarks like that are the same it kind of loses a bit of its awe and wonder that came with the first playthrough. Even if there are expanded towns or they remix where trees are or whatever, if the landmarks are still the same it does lose a bit of its appeal to me.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
You can change the map significantly just through geography, forests, etc.

I would also bet there will be some kind of time-jump (forwards or backwards) or some other event that will significantly change it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
They were both entirely new games. This quote makes it sound like it's set largely in the existing Hyrule.
This quote is saying literally nothing at all, and people are taking it as literally as humanly possible. It's like people are actively working hard at being disappointed, like they're investing energy into it.

Apr 21, 2018
I was sort of hoping to explore a brand new, wildly different world, but this is Nintendo and this is Zelda and I'll be there day 0 and so will all of you and it'll be glorious.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
My favorite Aonuma quote conclusion-jumping was when he said "I never said the person in the blue outfit was Link." Then after a day of fervent speculation, he said "I never said it wasn't Link."

So, best to wait and see.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild's entire gameplay drive was exploration. That's the difference. Seeing something in the distance and wondering what it is.

Load up the game, oh wait the castle is in the sky and has been transported to the new alternate relam. Have you been there?

Oh and the thing that raised the castle now has changed the entire Hyrule map too and now there's suddenly dungeons and places where there weren't before. Have you been there?

It takes literally 20 seconds of imagination to come up with that, I'm sure Nintendo's designers can do more in 3 1/2 years.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
There's too many ways to interpret this to pass judgement.

I'm imagining the same rough geography but completely redone surface activities in the various locations. Keep a few landmarks the same to invoke nostalgia, change a few drastically to emphasize the current threat, have some missing to create mystery, add a new underground fast-travel/dungeon system running through the whole of Hyrule for something completely fresh. Sounds good to me.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
When I think he meant "the same Hyrule" I took it as the Hyrule of this set of games. I didn't take it as him saying "oh no this world won't change some."

What'll probably happen is the landscape will change but we'll still be able to explore, discover and puzzle solve the same way as before except through different ways

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I like how some people in this thread are making thus out to be some sort of partial port. They are going to change the environment enough to justify it as a sequel- I mean, are they just going to port all the shrines right into the game? Or all the same puzzles and mysteries? I highly, highly doubt it. Nintendo are master designers, the amount of unique content they offer with every game is staggering- they wouldn't half-ass it.
The world is going to change. I can imagine they want to play around with player expectations. People who played BotW have so many memories about different locations and when they're playing the sequel will think "man, I wonder how x location has changed". This would incentivize a different kind of exploration. It could compound an experience, because its a sequel using the same world.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Make the dungeons hidden away and you have to find them in the world through clues or discovery like the original

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Let's hope they can encourage exploration again for people like me who have put in 300hours + and know the world inside out.

Looking forward to it.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
This quote is saying literally nothing at all, and people are taking it as literally as humanly possible. It's like people are actively working hard at being disappointed, like they're investing energy into it.

I think it's reasonable to say "if x is true, I will be disappointed". I've got an open mind, even if my first reaction would be disappointment. They've earned it over the years.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
"One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story"

Given Zelda tends to fully reinvent itself from art direction to setting every time, surely this could just be "yeah I really just wanted to make a direct sequel in the vein of botw" and not have much to do with the physical layout of the map being reused.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
This is... kind of just what I wanted. BOTW Hyrule is my favorite game map, ever, and continuing in that world with fresh story and fleshed out/changes environments sounds great. After two 100% playthroughs I still wasn't ready to leave that world, and now I won't have to.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Can't wait. Make a whole underground society, dramatically reshape up the land, and give us dungeons... I'm here for it.

Would have loved a new world to explore, but that will happen next game.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017

Bingo.

If in fact it means the same general map, even with a few changes here and there, it will be extremely disappointing. Same main characters and general time period, but an entirely new world to explore? That's a different story. But the trailer + this quote worry me.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me really fucking mad they didn't go with a new type of zelda game. I mean, they could just used some of the ideas and design of botw but why making a second part? Is it really necessary?

Because BotW is the perfect type of Zelda game. It's the natural evolution of the series, what it always "wanted" to be. There's really no new "type" to go to from here, unless they want to go back to the old style again. Like, how do you go UP from BotW? But of course they should improve on the formula, bring back more story and focused dungeons and such.
I understand it was great. I enjoyed it so much... But why not aiming towards another direction? I mean, I understand the argument of "would be crazy not to attempt a direct sequel" if the first one was so successful. But we are talking about Nintendo's Zelda team. I'm sure they are a little different than most companies out there. They can afford to take risks, and they have proven successful over the years so why not trying again?

They made Ocarina of Time five times in a row. Not literally, obviously, but games with the exact same structure and overall gameplay. They threw all that away and made something completely new with BotW, and now you want them to do... what?

Jan 3, 2018
tumblr_n1poh7qYKs1rjql2co2_250.gif

What if they add this guy and it totally transforms traveling in this world? Loftwing + Paraglider. Holy shit.

And then just add in flying enemies/mounted flying enemies that can challenge you in the sky.

One of the reasons I thought they made the the world of hyrule so big in BotW was that there would be a late game flying mount that allowed you to get across the map very quickly. If they exist in this new game, then I'm in, but without that, I really think the map is just too damn big for it's own good. Yes I think there have to be negative spaces, but they don't have to be this numerous or massive.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

"One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story,"

That quote says a lot. 'That' Hyrule, and the map they created for Breath of the Wild was their interpretation of Hyrule and its regions. New gameplay and a new story in Breath of the Wild's Hyrule.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Exploration ans the discovery of a new world contributed a lot in my enjoyment of botw. If the layout is roughly unchanged, this game may very well be a huge disappointment for me. I really really really hope that the map will be unrecognizable.
They already have the engine, and probably more than 3 years of development. The switch and us deserve better than a glorified expansion and I remain confident that they understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.