• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I just hope this thread reaches 100 pages so they will be force to clear this, like they did for towns last time.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
The trailer was mostly cave action, so I think it's a safe bet that exploration wil be underground this time.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
We're getting a top down Zelda and BoTW is a fantastic base to build on top of. I'm hyped.

I'm sure we'll see tons of changes to the map.

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the appeal of the first one was seeing that giant split mountain for the first time and saying "fuck it I'm going to climb that" just because you could. If the landmarks like that are the same it kind of loses a bit of its awe and wonder that came with the first playthrough. Even if there are expanded towns or they remix where trees are or whatever, if the landmarks are still the same it does lose a bit of its appeal to me.

Precisely.

Of course, it could be a case where you could say that the original map being present is only a 'bonus', and just kind of connects the new areas. I assume if they are using the same map, this will be the case, where they will freshen up some locations and place new enemies and items, but the main map serves more as a 'hub' than the actual meat of the game.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The Hebra and Gerudo Highlands were relatively empty in BoTW. Would be nice to see more activity there in the sequel.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is it, yeah.

I just don't want it to be the same map, even if it has new things in it. I spent close to 200 hours scouring that map. I know it like the back of my hand. How can there be a wonder of discovery if I already know the lay of the land?

I've spent 300 hours in it, you're being dramatic....

It will differ, how yet is unknown but topography can be dynamic.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yep this was very evident from the teaser and why my hype for the next Zelda game deflated

I have little hope they will do enough to make traversing it interesting for a second time, considering it felt very empty on the first go.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Just because it's the same land mass doesn't mean it has to look or feel the same. What if like our own Sahara, The Gerudo was once lush & green. What if before Shrines there were vast Dungeons throughout the land. It's a fantasy world they can literally do whatever they want.

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who doesn't own a Switch yet and hasn't played BoTW, this sounds good to me.

The story/tone and RDR2 influence make this sequel a lot more appealing to me

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you in that BoTW didn't do anything for me, in fact it is my least favorite Zelda ever and I have played them all sans the two DS games. However, the open world wasn't really my issue with it so I am fine with them keeping that going and even using the same map if that is what they do. I just want the world to be actually filled with things from the older games. I want dungeons, a much much more diverse monster and enemy selection, dungeons, classic equipment/items that were not in this one, I don't really care bout being able to climb shit so the hookshot would be nice, oh and dungeons.

I'm with you 100%. The world was absolutely stunning... it was just empty. Repetitive shrines and Korok seeds did nothing for me. If they do add dungeons, or just even add interesting things to do. I'd absolutely love it.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Just because it's the same land mass doesn't mean it has to look or feel the same. What if like our own Sahara, The Gerudo was once lush & green. What if before Shrines there were vast Dungeons throughout the land. It's a fantasy world they can literally do whatever they want.

its a direct sequel, it wouldn't make much sense to have drastic changes. We might see stuff like floating islands (Hyrule Castle in the teaser) which reveal caves underneath, but not significant changes to the whole map. Link and Zelda don't look 10 years older or anything.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
expecting a huge emphasis on story and dungeons. the rumbling probably awakens the dungeons.
I'm predicting something akin to the Deep Roads concept in the Dragon Age world; a massive series of interconnected cities and highways built by the dwarves, that have since been lost to the Darkspawn taint over centuries. Here, the Malice, be it Ganondorf himself or simply his influence may have overtaken a massive expanse of underground terrain built by the Sheikah or something older than them, with Link and Zelda disturbing his corpse (?) thus setting off a chain reaction across Hyrule, opening many passages to the surface.

This way they get to use and somewhat tweak the geography of the map, add whatever flavour touches/QoL ideas they may have had since BotW wrapped up, and double down of dungeon level design.

All the while getting to flex their creative muscles in reincorporating the dungeon/boss motif of the series, but much like BotW, reinvent how you as a player can approach dungeon traversal, the high-technology aspect can still be present and everything, remember what was used (the Divine Beasts for instance) was simply what the kingdom unearthed, there could be unknown machines down there, that have for centuries been under Ganon's influence.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the appeal of the first one was seeing that giant split mountain for the first time and saying "fuck it I'm going to climb that" just because you could. If the landmarks like that are the same it kind of loses a bit of its awe and wonder that came with the first playthrough. Even if there are expanded towns or they remix where trees are or whatever, if the landmarks are still the same it does lose a bit of its appeal to me.
I'd agree with that, yeah. Seeing Death Mountain again won't be as awe inspiring but it looks like in the teaser that Hyrule Castle is starting to float upwards and that alone is a big change to the landscape. Wouldn't surprise me if they did something similar to other areas.

That and I think it will be fun to have expectations flipped. I already know what's on top of those cliffs near Gerudo Desert but they could easily change it into something completely different. It'll be fun!

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
This could be the first time a subsequent mainline Zelda title is set in Hyrule again.

Unless you count Wind Waker but that was flooded Hyrule and doesn't count.

Hyrule - Termina - Ocean - Hyrule - Skyloft - Hyrule - Hyrule?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This quote is saying literally nothing at all, and people are taking it as literally as humanly possible. It's like people are actively working hard at being disappointed, like they're investing energy into it.
Sounds like the Internet, yeah.

Until we see more, it seemingly means that it's set in the same world with the same characters and starting in the same setting. It can easily be in an entirely new area with completely new dungeons and gameplay mechanics with a greater emphasis on story.

As a direct sequel, having an expectation of your players to be familiar with the events, locales, and gameplay of the first game allows Aonuma, Fujibayashi and their team something that hasn't really been afforded to Zelda since Majora's Mask: the ability to add more involved and difficult content than what we're accustomed to from a Zelda game.

This isn't Nintendo's first rodeo. Things like being in the same setting and younger staff members being inspired by Red Dead Redemption 2 will all still feed back into an emphasis on gameplay that Nintendo's known for. If anything, we should be excited!

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe decent weapon smiths have returned to the land so weapons don't crap out and explode after five hits.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no offense but you could use even the tiniest bit of common sense and you'd come to the same conclusion

they pitched it as a sequel to Breath of the Wild. you think they're just going to have some new quests on the same map and that's the game? honestly?

love and respect but also whew lawd this thread
The problem is that for me, the map was the star of the show in Breath of the Wild. There was a total sense of unknown that made discovery and exploration as wonderful as it ultimately did, which is what makes that game my favorite ever. The extent of recontextualization doesn't matter, as long as they are reusing the same map, it's a step down for me. Now, as I've admitted, if they're doing stuff like a full underground network, or a new area and Hyrule is just the prologue, I'd be fine. I just don't like the idea of "returning to this Hyrule" on the surface.

Maybe i am jumping the gun but it's only cause I want the sequel to blow me away as much as the original did lol.

I know and I believe ya.

I'm suggesting that you jumped the gun a bit, and that for whatever reason, varying degrees of FUD (intentional or otherwise) re: Switch games have been allowed to fester here in ways I don't think would be tolerated with a wide range of other games.

That's what I mean when I said a like-for-like HZD2 thread would already be locked.

Nobody is going to see DMC V on the horizon and immediately assume, "Oh shit, DMC is a River City Ransom clone now", and that line of thought would get shut down quick.

but for a time, Mario Odyssey was an autorunner.

You see what I'm saying?
Right, I hear you. I don't intend for this to be a FUD-spreading thread, it's a general concern with the direction they are taking. I fully admit maybe I am prematurely panicking, especially since a lot of suggestions put forth by ya'all are very sensible and exciting.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I love when major changes happen in a game to the same map.

It could be very cool if it was the same map but everything was massively different because Ganon is gone.

And it has to be something different than shrines so it doesn't matter that you found all of the old ones. It will be easy to replace them with something else and put all sorts of new discoveries in the game. They can't replicate the discovery of how the mechanics of the game worked and it might be different if Link is strong from the start of the game, but they will figure some shit to make it fun.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the devs obviously know this, and I assume is a big focus during development - if they can't recreate the magic of discovering a whole new world, what's something else they can do to keep the player mystified? I assume a heavily augmented world may be the answer. Maybe cavernous ruins that run under a large section of the world? We saw Hyrule castle being uprooted during the trailer, so maybe other parts of the world will have the same happen to them and reveal new dungeons. Who knows.

You ever think the main draw to this game isn't exploring a new land but building one?

The first game you're Lewis and Clark (Sacajawea) adventuring, learning and discovering.

The second you're expanding, developing and rebuilding. More immersive experiences and focus back on more traditional Zelda tropes.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
its a direct sequel, it wouldn't make much sense to have drastic changes. We might see stuff like floating islands (Hyrule Castle in the teaser) which reveal caves underneath, but not significant changes to the whole map. Link and Zelda don't look 10 years older or anything.

Why not? Again it's a fantasy world. You could explain radical changes to the map any number of ways.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world will probably change massively. Maybe we visit big underground portions. Maybe there's a flood or a volcano destroys half of Hyrule. Maybe it's a 5 year timeskip with new factions and/or villages. They'll not just give us the same exact world with a few new dungeons and a new story. I hope nobody believes that

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They wouldn't be able to get this game out in the Switch's lifespan if they weren't using a lot of the same resources they used for BotW, lol.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with that, yeah. Seeing Death Mountain again won't be as awe inspiring but it looks like in the teaser that Hyrule Castle is starting to float upwards and that alone is a big change to the landscape. Wouldn't surprise me if they did something similar to other areas.

That and I think it will be fun to have expectations flipped. I already know what's on top of those cliffs near Gerudo Desert but they could easily change it into something completely different. It'll be fun!

I don't doubt it! They'll most certainly remix all of the hidden shrines into new puzzles, have a few islands surface that weren't there before. Expanded towns, new sub-areas, etc. Just a bit of disappointment that it's not a new area to explore, there will be a significant amount of deja-vu if they don't replace the labyrinths with something entirely different, for example. I wouldn't be particularly jazzed to explore those again.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You can have a lot of fun with revisiting the same landmass. For example things like - the Great Plateau is now New Skyloft, or Death Mountain is dormant and a city is built spiralling its core.

If the trailer is any indication I would also expect the terrain to be morphed. Perhaps a buried Hyrule partially rising above ground throughout the map.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
They wouldn't be able to get this game out in the Switch's lifespan if they weren't using a lot of the same resources they used for BotW, lol.

Well, true, but I wish they used the MM approach instead and just reused the assets to create a new world. We never needed one the size of BOTW given the lack of content it had. Something even half the size, with more enemy variety, 4-6 full dungeons, side quests, would have been spectacular

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
SOURCE

This kind of deflates my hype, unless the "new gameplay" is like a Dark World that completely recontextualizes the map.
Except the beauty of BotW was the peaceful natural environment. Green trees, blue sky, white clouds, sunsets, etc. If half of the game was some dank gross underworld it wouldn't have been so popular. Anyways, I think he's toying with us to a degree. We see the BotW map in the trailer, so he's commenting that it's "revisited". It could mean anything. Maybe it's a LttP retread with a dark world, or maybe it's just the beginning of the new quest. So you get to revisit places from BotW to see whats changed if you want, but the real quest is beyond the original map.

My dream BotW sequel is still in play: Take the BotW map and zoom out. The BotW map is now just a continent in the upper left corner making about 30% of the map. The other 70% is ocean, dotted islands, and 1 or 2 large continents. Hyrule castle is sent far away to the other end of the map and provides one of the main motivations for the quest (getting it back). New sailing mechanics. New divine beasts. Underwater exploration. Zelda is AI companion or you can play as her and Link becomes AI. No more Shrines, instead 30 dungeons with bosses (just combine 120 shrines of content into much longer shrines with a full container at the end.) More ambitious sure, but also more appealing than HD dark world.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that for me, the map was the star of the show in Breath of the Wild. There was a total sense of unknown that made discovery and exploration as wonderful as it ultimately did, which is what makes that game my favorite ever. The extent of recontextualization doesn't matter, as long as they are reusing the same map, it's a step down for me. Now, as I've admitted, if they're doing stuff like a full underground network, or a new area and Hyrule is just the prologue, I'd be fine. I just don't like the idea of "returning to this Hyrule" on the surface.

Maybe i am jumping the gun but it's only cause I want the sequel to blow me away as much as the original did lol.

that sounds like a wholly unrealistic expectation and you should probably let go of it. how many games ever in your lifetime have blown you away like breath of the wild? never mind the fact that the state of the zelda series and video games as a whole are what created the environment that allowed us to be blown away by breath of the wild. you can't just recreate that, it'll take another huge paradigm shift for that to happen again.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Link Between Worlds has a very similar map to Link to the Past and it was pretty cool. They'll do it justice.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt it! They'll most certainly remix all of the hidden shrines into new puzzles, have a few islands surface that weren't there before. Expanded towns, new sub-areas, etc. Just a bit of disappointment that it's not a new area to explore, there will be a significant amount of deja-vu if they don't replace the labyrinths with something entirely different, for example. I wouldn't be particularly jazzed to explore those again.
Yeah, those labyrinths were fun the first time but I'm not dying to go through them again either.

I know some people were thinking maybe we get some sort of Underworld/Underground section since Zelda and Link are exploring it. That would be a great way to start remixing some areas by having new entrances to those underground spaces all throughout the world and having the underground itself to explore in.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
After the way BotW delivered I'll trust Aonuma to bring something exciting. I'm sure there will be plenty of new area to explore. I'd also love an improvement on dungeons, a deeper story, and possibly a few more classic zelda gadgets (e.g. the hookshot). It'll be a long wait for more info on this.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo doesn't really develop games on that strict of a basis anyway like "oh we're using the same world so we have to maintain consistency and things have to be the same" ... lol, hell no.

They can put a giant 30 storey dildo tower in the middle of the Hyrule that links it to five different realms. Why's there a giant dildo in the middle of Hyrule now? They'll just slap in some story reasoning for it. It doesn't matter.

It's all about gameplay concepts first, whatever the world is, the story is, the characters are is secondary, they shift and change to accomodate that.

Nintendo develops the game play concepts first. The world/story/even characters are just the "excuse" as it were to have the game play experience happen.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I thought they made the the world of hyrule so big in BotW was that there would be a late game flying mount that allowed you to get across the map very quickly. If they exist in this new game, then I'm in, but without that, I really think the map is just too damn big for it's own good. Yes I think there have to be negative spaces, but they don't have to be this numerous or massive.
latest

Imagine being able to fly alongside the dragons.
Imagine soaring to the peak of Death Mountain.
Imagine skimming so closely to the ocean that the water becomes disturbed beneath you.
Imagine jumping from a ledge from the floating Hyrule castle, and being caught midair by your Loftwing by using your whistle.

Nintendo pls

More thoughts:

Imagine diving from your Loftwing onto a mounted flying enemy below, which triggers you hijacking said enemy and sending it's Rider on a fateful fall.

Imagine a super secret Epona upgrade that turns her into a Pegasus.

Imagine flying Lynels.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's going to be a tighter story. If that's really Ganondorf. That promises a deeper narrative. Any time he shows up, shit gets real.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That explains why it looks so far along, reusing a lot of assets, etc, but I really hope they shake things up a little. I want dungeons, please.

The shrines just don't cut it for me. They are fun diversions, but nothing is as exciting and fulfilling as completing a dungeon.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if they didn't change the map at all, there were a lot of zones without much in them that would still be worth exploring. the snow, the jungle, etc etc

I could see people who got the golden poop being upset tho

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A heavy emphasis on dungeons and/or Zelda being the main playable character (or at least a constant assist, like Farrah in parts of PoP: SoT or Elika in PoP 2008) is what would win me over. Otherwise, it's not for me.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I did want a Zelda game where you play as Zelda and rebuild BotW Hyrule. This'll probably not be that of course.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions but I would have preferred a complete new world. But it is what it is. I do hope this Hyrule has changed significantly then, hopefully they have added lots of new things to see and do in that world, reasons to explore.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard pas if it's the same map then. Not interested in exploring what I already know, this would be like the worst lesson to learn from the success of BOTW.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
SOURCE

This kind of deflates my hype, unless the "new gameplay" is like a Dark World that completely recontextualizes the map.
Unless this comes out next year, theres no way this is using the exact same map, in the same context as last time.
If it comes out next year, I can see it being a sort of Majoras Mask remix thing.
If its 2021/2022 then I think it has to be pretty different.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao good god

Every mainline Zelda has a different rendition of Hyrule, the main characters, other staples. That's the whole series' thing.

All he is saying here is that they wanted to revisit this continuity again, this particular rendition of the world. I honestly don't know what to tell people if they think it's going to be a different game plopped on the same map. That's clearly not what he's trying to convey.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't worry one bit about this guys. Aonuma won't dissapoint, no chance they'll re use the same world without any significant changes.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
Lol at some of these comments. Oh, yes, Nintendo is going to let the sequel to a mainline Zelda title just be the exact same map and locations and NPCs but with a handful of shrines and cutscenes added and nothing more. You know, because they didn't already do that in the Ballad of the Champions DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.