• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Hyrule will be changed more than enough to feel new.

The GDC had shown how maleable the engine is and how they can easily modify all different kinds of terrains. I trust Aonuma's team to do the right things.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they spend 5 years creating botw including rewriting the whole.engine and trying to build something complete new (like they did with botw) -> how in earth would this would take it up to 4 years to create a new sequel which uses the same map with some twists.

I mean i know that they would add a whole new thing to it, but it seems for me impossible that there would not be a whole new world map besides the exithing one. Another explanation is that those monolith soft have not the resources this time to help out with this sequel....

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved BotW, but this hurts. If they don't make significant changes, I will be pretty disappointed. It had better at LEAST include a very strong story. Otherwise, it's no more than just DLC.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
...oh.

The best part of BotW was exploring and discovering that world. I really hope there's either enough new places or enough new stuff in the world to justify this being a sequel and not a DLC; because if there's no discovery that's a real hype killer.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I cant help but think that this statement is being taken to literally, the same world of that Hyrule and setting, not the exact same Hyrule we explore. Guess we'll see.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
...oh.

The best part of BotW was exploring and discovering that world. I really hope there's either enough new places or enough new stuff in the world to justify this being a sequel and not a DLC; because if there's no discovery that's a real hype killer.

Why in the world would this not be a full-fledged sequel with tons of new stuff to see and do?

This thread is driving me insane.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be the same Hyrule with lots of changes; towns developed, less barren, mysteries, dungeons, new monsters etc..

This is Aonuma we're talking about, I'm not going to doubt him.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
We know too little to let this get in the way of anything, but before this was even announced I was always afraid they'd re-use the same map. It's my number one fear in fact. But I also know better than to doubt Nintendo.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they do a slight time skip and the world develops/rebuilds in terms of architecture/building, is it really that bad of a thing?

I also wouldn't be surprised if the castle lifting means they're gonna explore some underground (dungeons) stuff.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there'll be a big interconnected underground area for us to explore this time, with caves and the like.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly before the game was announced I was hoping for something totally different. Still, its hard to judge what'll happen until we are much much closer to release.

Oct 2, 2018
i agree with the sentiment that this hurts the game a lot.

Its a huge map and the idea of running around the same world again (albeit with some changes) is not an attractive proposition.

...oh.

Can I just say "even running around" BOTW is sort of lamey because the world doesn't change too much outside of the water/mountain regions - its just large tracts of nothing.

there literally was nothing to do excpet climbing trees + move rocks to find deku seedlings things.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, we know too little to make any quick judgments on this, for example, using the same overworld, perhaps more populated and less exploration focused now, doesn't get rid of the possibility of a new underworld or dark world that is maybe more exploration heavy like Hyrule in BotW is. The Zelda team clearly knows what they're doing so I'm giving them benefit of the doubt on this one.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want it to be the same map, even if it has new things in it. I spent close to 200 hours scouring that map. I know it like the back of my hand. How can there be a wonder of discovery if I already know the lay of the land?
I've been thinking about this all afternoon, and I keep going back to how great it is that BotW has memorable world design. In 99% of open-world games, I'm almost entirely reliant on the mini-map to know where I am and where I'm going, and consequently I never really feel like I'm part of those worlds. Like you, I know BotW Hyrule like the back of my hand, and it was the first game of that scale where I could turn off the map and know exactly where I was and where I was going. That familiarity and sense of place was huge for me, and really made me believe I was a part of this huge open-world for the first time.

I think having that familiarity and that sense of "this is a believable world that I know all about and lived in" right off the bat is a really compelling place to start in a direct sequel.

So how could they provide a similar sense of exploration and discovery in a game where you already know the layout of the land? I think in a more content/puzzle-driven game, that's something they could pull off by using your built-in knowledge of the game's world as a tool/resource at your disposal (i.e. you have the full map unlocked so you know where all of the locations are, but the sequel would emphasize you having to figure out on your own where you need to go and what to do). For example, the puzzles offered by the Shrine Quests in BotW were largely brilliant and one of the things I enjoyed most about the game; I'd love it if the sequel was built around more of those sorts of objectives.

In essence, they could make up for the game world itself no longer being a mystery by threading all sorts of new mysteries throughout the world. Where knowing the ins and outs of the map would be a good thing, rather than a bad thing. (And if the trailer was indeed teasing new areas underground and/or in the sky, that could supplement the existing map layout in other meaningful ways).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine the reactions if it's Ubisoft that's doing it.
Like when Far Cry Primal reused Far Cry 4's map and structure, despite being marketed as a totally different and unique spinoff.

What were the reactions like. A thread was posted on NeoGAF about that very subject in 2016, during a time when NeoGAF had a far larger number of active users than ResetEra currently does.
It took three days for that Far Cry Primal thread to reach ten pages. Ten pages of people largely excusing the proven reuse of Far Cry 4's entire map structure because they liked what they saw. Ten pages of people who mostly didn't jump straight to lazy dev rhetoric on a forum where that shit wasn't just allowed but supported. And ten pages of intermittent shitposts.
It took this ResetEra thread two and a half hours to reach ten pages, ten pages half-filled with people acting disappointed by a nebulous quote that may not even mean what they think it means, alongside all of the cruft found in that Far Cry Primal thread.

Were you going to say that Nintendo gets the EZ pass? You might want to conjure up an example that actually supports that angle, then.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A massive seamless underground area the same size of BotW.... has that ever been done in any game?

Seems impossible. Making it 1:1 would truly be a feat

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it uses the same area based on the trailer, but also, I don't necessarily interpret "same Hyrule" as "exact same map." I think of Hyrule more as the world/setting than the details. I think we'll at least see changes (due to the time gap and Ganon being "gone") and new areas. We already see one in the trailer. Nintendo can't introduce new gameplay if everything is the same. I also figure the team understands that discovery was a big part of the first game's appeal.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming even in a worst case scenario that they reused the entire map from BOTW, that there would still be a new region to explore significant in size.

One thing I'd love but don't think we will get are cities way larger in size

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I take that quote entirely to mean that they wanted to build off the events and world of Breath of the Wild in an implicit sense. To explore this specific iteration of Hyrule as a world, universe, continuity, and character to deliver on the scope and promise of the first game.

I think by what we know of both these developers, and what BotW was, it's a safe bet that we won't be getting a copy paste of the overworld from the first game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There is a metric ton of stuff they can do while keeping the same overworld. Dark World, expansive underground, lots of dungeons, lots of new stuff to discover (e.g. changing the shrines for something equally meaty but different), new cities, rebuilt landmarks... The overworld's geography is just a canvas.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Why in the world would this not be a full-fledged sequel with tons of new stuff to see and do?

This thread is driving me insane.
Well it doesn't seem likely. But when they said 'BotW Sequel' my first thought wasn't that it'd be a bunch of new stuff on the BotW map. I was expecting a whole new map with the same feeling of discovering the unknown. So if we're not getting that that's dissapointing; no matter how cool any new additions are.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I imagine there will be an addition of many classic enemies especially those in the dungeons. I also feel that all the landmarks of the OG will still be there and maybe some alterations depending on how much time passed since BOTW.
Also exploring deep below the castle opens up the existing world quite a bit since we spent our time above ground for the most part. Make us use that torch like those dark zones in the OG.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
On second thought, it's impossible that they'll use the same map, that would literally go against everything botw stood for. They may call it Hyrule but it'll be a completely different world. I really fucking hope so because if it's really the same world with some twists, it would be the biggest letdown ever seen in a Nintendo game. I trust them for being better than this.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
There was so much empty space in the map that this doesn't bother me. They could toss in tons of new towns without an issue 😂

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is how they are going to get Zelda games out faster. Asset recycling.

I am just not a fan of that nasty washed out color palette which will undoubtedly return.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thats great to me, whatever decreases the dev time and i'm sure they will make Manu changes and polish on what is already built.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I can totally see this releasing in 2020. They are not committing yet, but this is basically the majoras mask(in terms of reuse) of botw. And i dont mind that.

Why do i think its 2020 or 2021 at the latest? Well its not a cg trailer. But to me it seems like a cutscene thats actually in the game.

Also i doubt nintendo is ever going to show a game that is more then 2 years off after the metroid prime 4 debacle

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
What I expected, and still disappointing. The shot in the trailer of the castle rumbling does give me some hope that there will be some sort of major geography-altering event before the game begins though.

If everything is in the same spot or the terrain in roughly the same then that is a major blow for me. Exploring a massive new land was my #1 most wanted thing from the next installment and I can't help but feel that this takes away from it a bit.
Do you guys seriously think there arent going to be new locations? What the hell lol

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
its a direct sequel, it wouldn't make much sense to have drastic changes. We might see stuff like floating islands (Hyrule Castle in the teaser) which reveal caves underneath, but not significant changes to the whole map. Link and Zelda don't look 10 years older or anything.
Maybe they aren't the Link and Zelda of BotW 👀

Like ALBW was a sequel but it wasn't the same Link

Status
Not open for further replies.