• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters
Breath of the Wild

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
NintendoSwitch_TLOZBreathoftheWild_artwork_illustration_01.0.jpg
People kept telling me to wait for the honey moon period to end and then think about the game. However, somehow I still feel the same way as I felt back in 2017 when I first laid my hands on the game and played it for 14 hours straight and over 200 hours in total. It was such a fresh and new take on the open world genre with its incredible physics system and challenging gameplay mechanics, I loved to play it without the HUD and just explore the land and every spot of the world, it felt like an adventure, like MY adventure.

1vcushsnx0jy.png

thanks to *Guaraná for posting the video here

How do you guys feel about the game now? Was all the praise it got justified or was the game overrated after all?

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly would vote for multiple options.

I did not care for the game at the time, do not care for it at all now, and it still deserves the praise it generally gets.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It did some big things fundamentally better than its contemporaries, and thus can never be overrated

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I feel like there should be a 4th option. I don't hate the game, but I never loved it or "fell out of love for it". It was a ok game that I didn't mind beating or putting time into. But not something I'd ever want to go back to.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a very good base, but if the game's very ridged loop doesnt click for you it is an awful game

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I got it with my Switch but... I don't know. I like it but there's little drive to complete it.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still game of the gen. No other game this gen has made me feel the way this game made me feel when i first played it and i've played all the big games. Only thing that came close was KH3 and that was just because of the long wait.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On my first run, some of the charm wore off after the first 10 hours or so, because I kept fighting with the game and its systems and expected a more traditional Zelda experience. I dropped it for a while, but ended up coming back to it later on and once I accepted it for what it was, I really started to enjoy it. It's a fantastic game. Probably one of the best ever made. I've now played through the entire game and the DLC, doing all of the shrines two times over (once with my son who is also enamored with it). I may give Master Mode a go some day.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 are still the two best open-world titles, both of which fundamentally reinvented the genre (though in entirely different ways).

BOTW is probably my favourite Zelda now (though WW is close). It absolutely deserved the praise it received.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It is slotted in a very particular genre. One that I don't particularly care for.

If you don't like the genre, you won't like the game.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I adore this game. The only thing I dislike is that they give no good solution for climbing in the rain.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started a Master Mode playthrough and I appreciate it even more. The game is simply magical and will forever be for me.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i don't feel like I really fit into any of the poll options. I don't think it deserved the hype it got, and it's on the weaker side as and Zelda for me personally, but I still enjoyed it despite having issues with it. I didn't dislike it.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Still a top 5 game of all-time for me, I've never played another game where I had as much fun exploring the world.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
While I recognize all of it's really great aspects, it is still the most disappointing game I have ever played. Without getting into all of it again becuase I've already written so much about it, BotW gave me almost nothing I want from Zelda. It is the skeleton of a good game, with no meat on those bones.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was okay to pretty good back then, now I think it's somewhere around pretty good to good, depending on what I'm doing in it. Certainly not GOAT or GOTY material for me, but I enjoyed my time with it.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Its officially my favorite game of all time....still finding new things. Such an incredible game and worth every bit the praise it got and still does....

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't like open world games and this didn't change my mind. I preferred Zelda games focused on dungeons and puzzles than exploration.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Same way I have always felt, incredible first draft at a cool open world Zelda but incredibly flawed. In its current state I much rather play the previous 3D zeldas but if they add dungeons, actual progression, bring back items and so on it can be the best Zelda.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
It does a lot of really cool things, but I absolutely loathed many of the core gameplay components of the game, the non-existing story, boring side content and empty game world.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I still love it and consider it my 3rd favourite Zelda of all time.
It doesn't do a few things as well as other Zeldas (I feel the dungeons and story are weaker here) but that world was a joy to explore. I loved how many different ways there were to solve puzzles and the numerous ways you could interact with stuff.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's a very good game, but way too much overrated! Also, the best experience of the game is in the Wii U emulator... 4k 60 fps is awesome!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best game of this entire generation for me, warts and all.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's an amazing game. One of the very few true Open World games.
While other games (Rockstar comes to mind) set their (highly linear) missions inside an Open World that merely connects them, BotW grants the player true freedom in a true Open World. BotW (and maybe MGSV) set the bar for the genre.
"Get back into the mission zone and do it like the level designer intended" has no place in an Open World game.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Still in the honeymoon phase two years later.

It's one of the best games I've ever played, and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I'm more convinced now that I was 2 years ago that it's the best game I've ever played.

Not my favorite but surely the best.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I like it but the more time passes the more it feels like a techdemo. Seeing those systems from immersive sims on such a big scale was and still is pretty cool. The world has cool designs, too. The Portal-esque shrines are much better than long-ass temples in my view. But the more authored content is mediocre to bad. Like they had no idea how to properly design around a lot of their systems.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Was going through some difficult times at the release which killed my mood to enjoy gaming. It was the only game that made me feel good. Things got better and I hadn't finished it yet. I feel like you have to finish 120 shrines as I don't consider them side content despite them being optional. They are the main content of the game and the game's brilliance shines even more if you see all the clever things the world has. All the riddles, all the brilliant ways shrines are locked away. Man just thinking about it

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got bored after 80 hours but I've found out there's so much more I haven't done since I stopped playing (Tarry Town? DLC, etc)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Poor BotW can't even have a chill birthday, we still have to judge its reception two years later.

But on topic, I plan to play it again very soon, it's been a minute and every so often I get the drive to go back.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it, got to the point where you have to carry the blue flame to the "old" child girl character, and returned the game.

BotW was my final attempt of many to play a third person Zelda. I can't get into any of those. But I'm extremely excited for the Link's Awakening remake.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Mastahpiece

I hope in a future game they add more weather events/elements like tornados that cross plains which you can see from across the world, tsunamis at the beach and whirlpools in the ocean, earthquakes that change the landscape. This game can really take advantage of the world aspect and enhance it beyond how far most games would go