• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Been playing it again in master mode recently and fell on love with it again. The only thing I want for a sequel is more/bigger dungeons.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It was very enjoyable then, and now I'd say it's a top 2 Zelda game for me.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I still haven't beaten it. Every few months I load it back up for a few sessions then it goes back down. But I still freaking love it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I get you, I've played Nier and Horizon after Zelda and they both felt so restrictive and I didn't enjoy them quite as much as I probably had if I hadn't played dozens of hours of Breath of the Wild before...

I borderline hated FFXV's world initially because of this. Too much of a focus on what it was not (BotW-Esque) to appreciate some of the good aspects - it was actually a lovely but flawed world.

The same thing happened with Horizon but to a far lesser extent as I waited a few months longer.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Borrowed the switch copy of it (I had the WiiU version, but didn't want to ever comment on it until I played it on the Switch), and unfortunately ended up not playing after just a few hours because my just-unboxed pro controller had a faulty right analog stick. I've since swapped it for one that isn't broken, might have to pop it back in today.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying it after a break of a year and enjoying the heck out of it (again). I've put over a hundred hours in, finished all the shrines (on a different save), and I'm still bumping into stuff I haven't seen before: quests, vendors, little scenes and interactions...

Oh, and making an early run to Hyrule Castle is the bomb.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Never liked in the beginning, but at the end it was one of the best games I've ever played.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
It's one of the big games of my life, seriously. One of those things that releases at just the right moment. I'll never forget the first time I started scaling the Dualing Peaks after the starting area. I panned the camera around and realized just how open the game was, and that the entire path through that world would mostly authored by my own curiosity and pathfinding. Since it was pre-spring when it released, I'd left the front window open, and an uncharacteristicly warm stream of air came through the curtains. It's sentimentalist, but in that moment I knew I had a game that went beyond stats and graphics. This was a classic.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Still the best 3D game ever made. Flaws? Of course.

Luke warm take* based on some of this thread. "Ruins other games" is almost saying the same thing :P

It's certainly up there for me, flaws and all. Almost time I get a new game part of me just wishes i was instead exploring another continent in BotW.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
The discussion around the game always makes me feel like a crazy person. I thought the game was fine but overall it wore on me pretty quickly. I went from thinking I was going to do everything to just getting tired of the whole thing and just finishing the "story".

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Im like 90% done with all the side quests/shrines/seeds and just need to do final part of the castle in the main quest and for some reason I just dont care to finish it.... its been sitting in my desk drawer for months now. The first 15 hours or so of the game was the best IMHO

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I generally try to stay away from things like definitively ranking games, "such and such was number 1 this year/this gen/all time" etc. ... too many variables, too hard to compare things from today to things from the 80s/90s/00s, etc.

But the time I spent (over two hundred hours) just exploring that enormous world, back when it was all covered in detail-less shadow on the map screen, never knowing what I would find around the next corner, over the next mountain, across the next river ... is really unlike anything else I've ever done in a video game. It was only 2 years ago but I already have as powerful nostalgia for that feeling as anything from my childhood and I wish I could experience it again.

So yeah I'm a fan of the game.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I haven't replayed it and I'm not likely to anytime soon, but every time I think about it I feel warm and fuzzy inside because it was such a great experience. I'm almost afraid to replay and not feel the same way.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Its a really really good game but I would love for them to make the next 3D Zelda with some traditional large scale dungeons.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Out of curiosity, what makes it flawlessly executed? There are lots of mixed opinions on the weapon breaking mechanic. Things like the sidequests are really underwhelming compared to other games in the open world genre.
How absolutely perfect everything feels in action. The physics of everything, the animations of everything, the response of everything as you press buttons, it's all incredibly solid and just right.

Contrast it to basically any other open world game ever. There's always varying degrees of jank. Breath of the Wild has the satisfying feeling and polish of a major japanese action game, except it's an open world RPG and it applies to relatively complex physics systems as well.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Didn't hate it, but I found nothing that made me think it deserved the high scores it has. It just wasn't enjoyable to play.

Jun 26, 2018
Need to go back and play it through properly, basically skipped the entire final dungeon (hyrule castle) by airdropping into the boss trigger.

And this was before the DLC, which I didn't stick around to see.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
How absolutely perfect everything feels in action. The physics of everything, the animations of everything, the response of everything as you press buttons, it's all incredibly solid and just right.

Contrast it to basically any other open world game ever. There's always varying degrees of jank. Breath of the Wild has the satisfying feeling and polish of a major japanese action game, except it's an open world RPG and it applies to relatively complex physics systems as well.
Yeah, I'll say that the moment to moment gameplay itself is very well tied together. Throwing weapons, picking them up, gliding, climbing, all of that was pretty seamless.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
Started over fresh last weekend, just as magical as it was the first time. I put on the Majora's mask item so enemies leave me alone and just hike around and relax with it.

wildbite

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up BOTW last year when I got a Switch. I ignored the game from the media because I didn't think it would interest me. My favorite genre is open world and RPGs but the last Zelda I played was Twilight Princess and that didn't hold my interest. Before that, I played Wind Waker which I loved and before that, Ocarina on the 3DS but I never got very far in it.

BOTW is incredible. I love the art style and how real the world feels with NPCs living their daily lives and traveling. I still have not beat the game because I keep starting over, but I have high hopes they will create a sequel in the same style.

BOTW reminds me of the magic from when I first experienced Morrowind as a kid, which is my absolute favorite game of all time.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a fun game. I had a lot of fun with it. It is a very well-crafted game.

But the way it was treated as the pinnacle of gaming, as if every game ever made has led us to this masterpiece, as if this is the game to define video games, it really makes me roll my eyes.

It makes me feel bad honestly, I don't enjoy crapping on someone else's fun, and I can't reiterate enough that it IS a good, fun game. But it is far from the pinnacle. It's really just a Nintendo version of a Ubisoft game if you ask me.

It's the first time I really had to agree that there is a MASSIVE Nintendo bias. Replace the Zelda characters and art style, the Nintendo name, and pass it off as a new IP, and it wouldn't get anywhere near the same amount of praise.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I STILL think about my experiences with the game, and currently replaying it. It deserves all the praise it gets. Incredible experience and I cannot wait for the next one to fix up the issues of the first.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel the same way I did when it released- BotW is a deeply-flawed game that has flashes of brilliance. I see the greatness of this game, but the flaws in the fundamental design, narrative and characters, dated tech, shallow combat, and other things drag the game down on the whole. Plus the user interface is probably the worst in a modern game. And you are forced to interact with it all the time! It brings to mind the controls and animations of RDR2 in that it's a glaring problem which most reviewers overlooked or dismissed. However the overall package is very inferior compared to Rockstar's title.

I would put Breath of the Wild as the 4th or 5th-best open-world game of this generation despite my disappointment in its design. I think it feels rushed and some of BotW's faults could have been fixed easily, resulting in an improved final product.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I'll say about BotW is that even though I thought it was merely good and not great, I can at least sorta see how people would feel that way. At least much more so than a game like RDR2 which has glaring control/gameplay issues but still recieves the same sort of praise.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I keep being told this game is/was a fresh take on open world but when I played it I didn't see what it did new or fresh

Oct 25, 2017
I like so much about it, I think it's a fantastic reboot to the series, and the best exploration game I've ever played.

But I dislike almost everything about the shrines.

Oct 2, 2018
played it this year. great game but its not perfect. That said, the engine and depth of the mechanics + system makes this one hella of a game.

Flawed masterpiece. Lousy final act.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
The negative vocal minority really makes you think this game has a mixed reception.

But then, you take a look at the poll :)

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.
    Votes: 1,175 76.0%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.
    Votes: 67 4.3%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.
    Votes: 138 8.9%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.
    Votes: 166 10,7%