• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Will go down as the Galaxy/TLOU of the generation. Praise absolutely deserved, one of the greatest games ever.

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
It was alright, I enjoyed it and still feel the same way about it.
Not really sure why it got praised as much as it did though, people went a bit too crazy I feel.
But then, I'm not really a Zelda "fan".

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gonna parrot what a lot of others are saying: it's probably my favorite game of all time now. It's an inspiration.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Did you notice any big differences in the versions? Was one better than the other?
It was pretty much identical. The Switch version of BotW ran at a higher resolution and it had a slightly better frame rate. So yeah. Plus Switch had actual portability so it is indeed the definitive version of the game.

Anyway, yeah. Breath of the Wild is my favorite game of all time. It is so darn good, and it truly is something special.

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game when I got my switch in the year it released. I understand why it got so much praise but it has never been able to grab me. Have started it twice now buy dropped it after about 10 hours and the second time. I'm a weirdo and prefer ubisoft type open games with a map full of icons to explore . Games just Not for me

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
One of the best games ever made.

Masterpiece. Game of TWO generations. Never forget, BTW is a Wii U game. If anything, the subpar open world games we've gotten in the subsequent 2 years on much more powerful hardware are a testament to its greatness. If you weren't convinced then, you should be now.
Exactly.

Just like the existence of Tetris makes Columns look worse than it otherwise would, everything in BotW's general area is lessened by comparison.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Did you notice any big differences in the versions? Was one better than the other?
Personally, I find the Wii U GamePad to be far more comfortable to hold than the Switch in handheld mode, but because range is so terrible with the Wii U, playing that version in handheld mode is very limited. Switch version is better visually, and if you're playing on a TV, then it's a no-brainer on there, especially with a Pro controller. No real reason to play on Wii U unless that's all you have. I played it there the first time because I wasn't sold on getting a Switch at launch due to the weak lineup. That's ancient history now. :)

Feb 23, 2019
Incredible game at what it sets out to do. Easily the best exploration game of all time, and in my top 3 this gen.

It's not without flaws though. I do miss the dungeons and boss battles and hope they return in the future along with better combat.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was great! It's one of the few open world games that has kept my attention.

It has flaws, though: there's not a lot to find in the world itself. It's memories, Koroks, and shrines. I'd love to see more things scattered around, especially in deserted areas. Give us more world-building, NPCs with small storylines, easter eggs of other games, things like that. There were bits and pieces, but it would have been nice to have more.
Enemies, too--it was mostly just a few with some variations on color. I'm sure it was hard to program them, but it would have been neat to add more variety.

The Ganon fight was disappointing, too. Everyone combined their powers and just killed the first few phases... and that was it? I'm not great at games and I had zero trouble after that. It would have been cool to at least see the Blights and maybe fight a super-weakened form of them individually, then have the Beasts combine their powers and take down part of Calamity Ganon but still keep him challenging. For such a long journey, having the Champions show up once and then have such an easy boss fight was anticlimactic imo.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since OoT I´ve always wanted for a game to give me that feeling of adventure again. I can only think of Dark Souls ever being close to achieving it, until BotW came and, even though I was hyped for the game like I´ve never been for anything, it somehow managed to completely blow my expectations out of the water.

If I could have one game completely erased from my memory so that I could play it again like the first time, it would be BotW.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I think I genuinely love it. From a game design perspective, its chemistry engine and physics engine were a revelation. They are something I had been clamoring for for years, something I'd wanted to see for a loooong time. Its art style and music are soothing. I love how it lets you approach combat encounters. It's... beautiful.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
It is a good game, but it is very overrated Zelda game.

For me, it is the worst 3D Zelda ever released, despite being a good game and despite having the best gameplay loop out of all Zelda games.

Problem is..... it has the worst bosses, it has the most lame "temples", the most lame and repetitive enemies design, the most lame final battle, boring progression system {having all the abilities unlocked after the tutorial was boring}, meh plot.

But, being objective, this Zelda offers the best freedom, game play is smooth and solid, the inventory system was the right place to go.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
Despite it's flaws, the game is almost perfect, once they nail things like:

-Better dungeon interiors
-Items variety and better rewards
-Side quests
-Story telling and cinematics

It'll be a perfect game

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I still greatly prefer it over the old, overused formula of the past games. That said it's not without flaws, enemy variety is incredibly weak, side content is incredibly lacking (pretty much all the side quests are fetch quests and apart from that there's just the shrines that get dull after awhile), the "Dungeons" are dull and boring, and the bosses all look the same.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
technically speaking, i can't believe the game was allowed to be released in the state it's in. horrible fps, janky, and looks like a late-era gamecube game.

overall speaking, i can see how nintendo-first fans would like it, people who have possibly never played an open world game before, but in the grand scale it's middling in that regard.

Pretty much.

People ignoring the technical issues, any other game would've been severely punished for that.

Nightmares of that 10 FPS Korok forest. Yikes.

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to put words in that other poster's mouth, but I wouldn't call the whole game flawless, just its commitment to its "open-air" concept and player freedom. To poorly paraphrase a line from Matthewmatosis's review, the game doesn't do everything well, but you constantly find moments of perfection where all the new inventive systems mesh perfectly together and allow the player the freedom to accomplish something totally unique.

This. If you take apart BotW and analyze each individual system and element you can find a lot of shortcomings. If you judge it merely by subtracting points for these flaws you can objectively say it's not more than a 8/10 game.

But, when everything comes together, oh boy, it's like having various, sometime crude, pieces of a puzzle coming together to form an astonishing result that leaves you dumbfounded. For a time l thought it's impossible to replicate the feelings you have as a child playing some games for the first time and getting lost in their fictional worlds. It's just something that fades with age and experience, a result of how your mind and imagination works. Of course there are still lots of excellent and probably better games coming out nowadays which you can thoroughly enjoy and appreciate, but still, it just feels like you now view things under a different prism.

But with this game, I still can't properly explain how or why, l felt it once more, this sort of mystical level of immersion and sensation games once conveyed to me. So yeah, reading what l typed l feel like a cultist but what can l say, l think it's a masterpiece.

TL;DR: I played BotW and it was like taking drugs having a religious experience.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Good but I could never see the hype that others saw. I also really missed having big, themed dungeons rather than the shrines. The enemy variety/recolors was a let down for me; the bosses basically all being the same enemy was kinda lame, too. I'm also someone disappointed with the music usage.

I bought the dlc with the game but never played it. After a while I realized I just wanted to finish the main campaign and get the game over with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
About the same as I did at launch. Phenomenal base and systems, but held back by some weak execution on some areas like story and being bigger then the devs could handle. So, a good game, but one that will benefit greatly from a sequel.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nice open world game. A lot of ideas feel half baked,

But an average Zelda game, that's just a stepping stone for the real next Zelda.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did not like it at launch, still don't like it now. Don't say I didn't play enough of it, I did about 40 shrines (including some of the bigger ones like Eventide and the Lanaryu Mountain) along with the Zora Divine Beast. I gave up in Hebra after getting 2 Shrines of Strength in a row (Oh joy, it's the same enemy as the last 5 shrines with just this one enemy, all there is now is Water on the ground, guess that means Cryonis! Because puzzles are really stupidly easy in this game, if there's Water, it's Cryonis! If there's Metal, it's Magnetism! If neither of them are in, it's one of the remaining runes, of which there is 2 left! And it's pretty easy to see if something can be bombed!)

The only thing I liked were the Lynel Fights, if there were more enemies like them in the game, it would be interesting, but there isn't. Even the big health bar bosses are jokes. That's before even basically being unkillable when you have armour set up and the pause to eat your mountain load of food to heal to full health + without doing anything (Yeah I really want to do 4 of those Strength Shrines to get a heart container over getting 6 golden hearts from this one really easy meal to make).

Oh and the game get's less fun the more you play as the enemies level up and your goofy gimmick strategies you do to mix things up because they only put like 15 enemy types become less viable as they do not scale accordingly. Only the weapon combat that hasn't changed at all scale. I guess they don't break as fast? Weapon Breaking kills the flow of the combat anyway since it's "Pause Game, Change to next weapon." Doesn't even keep the combat going fast with getting out your next available weapon, nope, have to kill all the flow with a menu switch.

Thanks game. I guess the next ones going to be in this formula. I hope not and then mix it up again, do something different entirely. Never want to slowly, agonizingly, scale a mountain again, only to have to stop because of RAIN. Gimme Dual Clawshots next time, faster movement alone would make eveything better.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's been two years, long past any honeymoon period, and I still think it's the best game ever made.

I have very high expectations for the sequel, especially if it's iterative.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Didnt like it then, and don't like it now. Played through the campaign and messed around some, but couldn't bring myself to do more than that.

I have about 70-80 hours logged into it according to my switch.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been two years, long past any honeymoon period, and I still think it's the best game ever made.

I have very high expectations for the sequel, especially if it's iterative.
I'm almost entirely positive that the sequel isn't going to be able to live up to Breath of the Wild for me, no matter what. It'll need the next reinvention for Zelda to come close to doing that for me again.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The silent majority coming THROUGH

This game will have impact, lasting impact, and will always be remembered as a fucking masterpiece.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I loved the game but the main dungeons were bad compared to previous zelda games, i hope BotW2 dungeons are as good as the previous zeldas also i hope the world is not in post apocalyptic setting, i want it to be alive and filled.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's not as perfect as some of the praise makes out, the story sucked and dungeons weren't as good as past games but the freedom it offered was still great, so the gameplay does help make up for some of it's shortcomings.

I still like the game a lot though but it's not a 10/10 game for me, more of an 8.5/10.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This game will have impact, lasting impact, and will always be remembered as a fucking masterpiece.
I mean yeah lol, I don't think anyone REALLY believed most people don't absolutely love the game... at least I hope they didn't. The sheer number of polls and contests the game has won at this point is ridiculous.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's funny too, era is likely one of the more negative places for breath of the wild and yet these are the results

really puts into perspective what an achievement the game is. really happy for aonuma and the zelda team. you can tell they really wanted to hit one out of the park. seeing them get the game awards goty was really awesome.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It basically rekindled three things.

1. My childlike sense of wonder towards video games.
2. My love for massive character adventure games.
3. My belief in Nintendo delivering the best games

So yeah. I'd go with the still love -answer.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
BotW got me back into console gaming after years of hiatus. Exploring became fun again simple put.

I didn't own a Switch on launch and bought it on the WiiU. Now that I do own one, this is the first game that makes me want to double dip just to replay it even if I can do so on the WiiU lol.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I love the game, one of my favorite Zelda games and open world game in general, but I can never seem to be able to play it again. I've tried twice to start from the begining but id just stop playing after clearing the start area.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's funny too, era is likely one of the more negative places for breath of the wild and yet these are the results

really puts into perspective what an achievement the game is. really happy for aonuma and the zelda team. you can tell they really wanted to hit one out of the park. seeing them get the game awards goty was really awesome.
I think BotW is one of the top two most beloved games on Era with Bloodborne. It's really just that those who don't like it are kinda shrill about making sure that others know they don't.