• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think BotW is one of the top two most beloved games on Era with Bloodborne. It's really just that those who don't like it are kinda shrill about making sure that others know they don't.

for sure, I'm just saying that the love for the game everywhere else is probably even more staggering. it's just that kind of game.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Still the greatest video game of all time.

That is also its greatest flaw, as it in some ways has ruined gaming for me.

Seeing the fixed camera and fences in the Pokemon trailer killed me inside, because I really find it hard to see myself spending a full price purchase on something that doesn't similarly feature the same philosophies of freedom, openness, the world around you's importance, and exploration.

Of course I felt pretty similarly after Skyrim, but BotW pushed me to the point where I'm only really excited by the prospect of something that gives me the same feelings as when I played it.

And the idea of searching for new monsters for your collection and rare ones for study woven into the series premise makes the ideas such a great fit for Pokemon...*wistful sigh of daydreaming*

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
the game had some problems, i wouldn't class it as high as the general media.... but it was daaaaaaamn good and it was exactly what i wanted from a zelda game since a long time (didn't like twilight princess and skyward sword)!

One of my favourite for sure! Hope nintendo will keep going in this direction

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Considering the impossibly high expectations I had and the critical reception it received which contributed to the hype (plus that release trailer), it did an incredible job of delivering on most of that hype.

It's not perfect, and it didnt top Ocarina for me in terms of my enjoyment of those games relative to when I played them, but it's an often times amazing experience and just a great game overall.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's good. But it's not my type of game.

I'm not a fan of open world games. I did really like the memory hunting concept tho. Hope they tried this again another time, really think they can expand on this in a more linear game. Reminded me of Memento in a way where you are trying to piece together what happened.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was boring then and it's boring now. I'm sick of my reward for doing any sort of exploration or sidequests is a piece of heart and I'm sick of Zelda games continuing to downplay the importance of dungeons. And I hope they get someone new to help design boss fights in the future because BotW's bosses are embarrassingly easy. The Calamity Ganon fight is one of the most disappointing final bosses I've ever seen. I've accepted and made peace that Bowser will never be a serious final boss again, but can we please keep that from happening to Zelda?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the blandest, forgettable, soulless Zelda game that I had ever played. I didn't like it when I finished it and I still don't now.

Thank fuck for the Link's Awakening remake.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Lol at the difference between the few negative comments in this thread and the overwhelming positive votes.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
It is perhaps my favorite game of all time. It blew away my expectations and loved everything about it except for one thing. The lack of quality and memorable main dungeons compared to the previous games like Ocarina of Time. At the same time, some of the shrines were REALLY well put together.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Great puzzle filled open world, but with a horrible story, awful voice acting, and boring bland dungeons that ultimately left me feeling disappointed after the wonder of exploring the open world went away.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still think about the game a lot, and consider popping it back in from time to time but haven't for a while.

I can see myself finally getting that DLC and jumping back in sooner or later though.

Masterpiece imo.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I've more or less been playing it since launch, though obviously I've taken some time off since then. Took me a year to finish the game, while still leaving so much left to explore for my second game. Been playing Master Mode since I finished my first game, and I love the increase in difficulty. I'm now at 100 shrines, and still have both DLC to finish.

Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

It's by no means perfect and I have some rather large complaints/gripes, but that doesn't negate all the things this game does so amazingly well.

Cannot wait for what I assume will be a highly refined sequel.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Despite its flaws (too much item management, lack of enemy variety, repetitive shrines, disappointing final boss) it's one of my very favorite games. Hyrule is an absolutely fantastic world to explore and conquer. So many places to discover and secrets to unfold. I felt a bit empty after finishing it which barely happens with videogames.

Hakai

Oct 27, 2017
It has become my favorite game of all time. I really hope Nintendo build upon this template.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I feel like there should be a 4th option. I don't hate the game, but I never loved it or "fell out of love for it". It was a ok game that I didn't mind beating or putting time into. But not something I'd ever want to go back to.
This is me, once I 100% before the first DLC came out, I saw everything so there was little left to surprise me. I turn it on once in a while to just walk around or wrap up a post-dlc side quest, but don't feel the urge to play through it all over again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't have much to add to the thread, other than that the game is 🐐and that i'm super pleased with the poll results.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it at launch and still love it today. I don't see why I would suddenly not like the game because some time passed.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I will wax poetic about BotW for the rest of time. It gave me the feeling of embarking on a grand adventure in a way that no other game has, and the moment to moment gameplay was extrodinary.
The stories that played out organically just through my own exploration are what made it so special to me, and again, no other game has done that on the same level.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
My favorite game ever made. I fell absolutely in love with it.

It's also oddly nostalgic for me, despite being only 2 years old. I don't feel that way about anything else from the past decade or so, yet here I am getting nostalgic whenever I see a clip or picture of it on Twitter. It's strange.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I felt empty after I finished it and I kept going back to it, finding new reasons to play for just a little bit more. And what's scary is that I can see ways the game can be improved upon (more expansive dungeons, varied bosses, etc)....the next Zelda might bamboozle me even more, how crazy is that for a generation-defining game?

It absolutely consumed me during that first weekend I had it, to the point I almost forgot to eat. Nowadays, I still think back on BotW as one of my greatest video game experiences...on par with Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Galaxy. I look at other open world games and constantly compare, they just aren't the same. I really wish other developers would learn from BotW, instead of chasing that boring cinematic experience that puts me to sleep.

One of my favorite things to happen to me was when I was hiking up a mountain in British Columbia...and a young girl saw my BotW Link button on my bag and we started talking about the game as we hiked, real life adventuring meets video game love <3 Her favorite thing to do in the game was to blow up trees with bombs apparently lol

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I absolutely love the game, had a real blast with it. But I sure hope the next one gives us better dungeons and bosses, because vanilla BotW is a huge let down in that regard. The DLC proved they can definitely pull it out of the bag though.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play another game that makes me feel the way this one did. As soon as I made it out of the cave, I was struck with awe. The whole opening area really cemented it as something absolutely special, and it just continued to impress me as I progressed.

Certainly, there are things that could have been done better (divine beasts, the story) but it's an incredibly amazing game even with its faults.

I wish I could go back and relive the start of the game completely fresh again. I can't wait to see what the next 3D Zelda is like.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Did you notice any big differences in the versions? Was one better than the other?

I own it on both Wii U and Switch. Switch runs it better no doubt, but Wii U still isn't terrible. It can drop frames when weather gets a bit rough (outside of towns and Korok Forest where Wii U can most certainly struggle quite a bit) but otherwise the Wii U version is a perfectly fine way of playing the game.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
It's a flawed, but phenomenal game. There are some things I'd definitely change (no fast travel to shrines, only towers. Make most stables near towers, make the horse a more useful mechanic, etc) but it's none the less one of the greatest gaming accomplishments of the past decade.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best Zelda game in the franchise, simply put.

The previous blueprint became tired and predictable in a sense. All it would need for the next 3D Zelda like it is to change how weapons are and more bigger dungeons to win that crowd and it's golden.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well I booted up my save and within seconds I'm riding around on a skeleton horse on the top of a mountain ridge under the moonlight and this game is just great

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Goat.

I can't remember a game that's been critiqued and nit picked so hard two years after it came out .
In all seriousness of it was called legend of belda it would be more universally acclaimed.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goat.

I can't remember a game that's been critiqued and nit picked so hard two years after it came out .
In all seriousness of it was called legend of belda it would be more universally acclaimed.
It happened with TW3 too.
In the end though I guess the popular opinion cemented around those two games anyway.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
It gave me hope for the future of the Zelda series again. A Link Between Worlds was the first Zelda game I liked in decades, but I thought it would be a one-off. But Breath of the Wild proved that the series was finally willing to change and definitely for the better.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Very good game, but brutally overrated.

If it was called Legend of Belda it would have received a considerably lower scores (though they still would have been high), substantially less attention, and it would likely be more of a cult-classic.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still a masterpiece. It has flaws and I hope Nintendo addresses them but everything thats good about this game is so good it overcomes any of the negatives I had with it, which really only bothered my experience 50+ hours into the game. BoTW was one of those special games ever released.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, even with the small number of dungeons and bosses. It was the Zelda that got me back into the series, after being bored to tears for years.