• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this deserved its own thread as some Zelda fans not already also interested or following XC2 would be glad to know about the additional content.

From the PR via GoNintendo.com:

In Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Blades are artificial lifeforms that bond with Drivers to lend them their weapons and powers in battle. Main character Rex is a Driver and Pyra is a Blade. To help familiarize fans with main character Rex before the game launches, a new Side Quest will be available via a free update in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for both Nintendo Switch and Wii U systems, in which players will be able to obtain a Rex costume starting on Nov. 9.

2.png

I've hidden the costume behind spoiler tags.

What do you all think of this type of cross promotion? Eager to play the new sidequest?

DPart

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the direct was great. But this costume tho lol

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That costume is terrible.

I really hope the DLC doesn't add any Xenoblade characters to the world as part of the side quest.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goes to show how god awful that costume even BotW's gorgeous art style can't save that monstrosity. Is there anyway we could change costume in-game (XBC 2) ?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah for an extra Quest, nay for the costume...
But it's a nice way to promote both games. Would have been awesome if they did something similar with Skyrim or Doom tbh.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
That costume is terrible.

I really hope the DLC doesn't add any Xenoblade characters to the world as part of the side quest.
I hadn't thought of that. I really wouldn't like that too much either. I wonder if it'll weave XC2 canon into BOTW somehow. But I guess Zeldas past have had Mario and Kirby cameos, though not woven into the storyline itself.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you all think of this type of cross promotion? Eager to play the new sidequest?

I don't mind it, I don't think the costume conflicts with the general aesthetic and feel of Breath of the Wild and it's pretty harmless as far as cross-franchise promotions go. Other publishers did similar things multiple times with even weirder cross overs. Mass Effect had a Dragon Age armor, I'm fairly sure there was a crossover with Dead Space as well between one of their franchises. I don't really have anything against it provided it isn't given freely at the start of the game and ends up affecting the game's balance, which did happen in some of Mass Effect's and Dragon Age's DLC.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo please, it doesn't look good on Rex, let alone Link. We didn't need this costume in two games lol

Oct 26, 2017
lol
but nice it was free, I was thinking they were selling this as part of Xenoblade2.

So a game update the day before the new Amiibo launch, but no word on story DLC yet eh..

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shit Is so bad websites should lower zelda's Score to reflect this update. Dude now Is saving Hyrule with a portable toilet on his back.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's kinda dumb, but maybe it's a way for the Zelda team to thank Monolith for all their work on Breath of the Wild. I'm glad they have a good relationship at least.

The costume itself will probably be in a random chest somewhere on Hyrule field, with no possibility to upgrade it like other bonus clothes. Not really exciting.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Yeah for an extra Quest, nay for the costume...
But it's a nice way to promote both games. Would have been awesome if they did something similar with Skyrim or Doom tbh.

I imagine the "extra quest" will be similar to the other DLC items, a hint that leads you to a buried chest. Hardly anything exciting. Still, I actually like this costume. The more fashion choices the better! Can't wait for the Divine Beast costumes on Friday :)

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Guess this is sort of a thank you and help in advertising to Monolithsoft for working on BotW. A reminder:

Aonuma: "On Skyward Sword, Monolith had mainly helped us on graphics design and other artistic elements. Even though we could have asked them for help on the technical side, we realized their way of making games was completely different from ours and we didn't have much to learn from them on this installment, since we were almost doing two different jobs. On the other hand, for Breath of the Wild, we've been assisted by level designers used to large game areas, in order to make topographic arrangements."

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/3...legend-zelda-breath-wild/#78kSyXZqfFCfdQFV.99