• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Or rather, UMiis.

Different model and different file format, but more or less same set of features. And yeah, with hacking it's technically possible to import your Miis into BotW world!

Btw, Alice is also making the amazing Mii Library, a database aiming to include every Mii from Wii, 3DS and Wii U games!

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
WHAT? I wanna be an NPC!
Does this also mean it's possible to create higher fidelity Miis based on current Mii features?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should totally take advantage of this. Imagine the next zelda having a villiage full of NPCs you imported.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many were based on Staff members, like the Iwata looking one?

I wonder if this is the reason why those NPC's felt a bit off/generic to me back when I played it.

They certainly lack the super individual and surreal body shapes of past 3D Zelda games, more standardized. I did feel they were mostly really forgettable for this reason.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Oh wow this is actually amazing. Can't believe how much we still learn from this game three years later.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
They certainly lack the super individual and surreal body shapes of past 3D Zelda games, more standardized. I did feel they were mostly really forgettable for this reason.

Yeah they really were super forgettable to me personally, it almost felt like they were randomly generated. So I think this may indeed have to do with that. I get why they'd do that but I miss having more unique/memorable NPC's.

Being 100% serious I think the crazy flower lady is legit the only NPC I even remember.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's pretty damn brilliant. Simple but quite varied set of features already created and setup, just aligned them to work with the BotW models and style and bam you've got an easy way to generate tons of unique NPCs. Probably still took quite a bit of work to translate the data from one to the other, but still.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they really were super forgettable to me personally, it almost felt like they were randomly generated. So I think this may indeed have to do with that. I get why they'd do that but I miss having more unique/memorable NPC's.

Being 100% serious I think the crazy flower lady is legit the only NPC I even remember.

Yep. They went from having the most memorable NPCs out there to some of the most forgettable. I remember said flower lady existing, because she got angry at me for stepping on the flowers, but I don't remember how she looks.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I think the B-Tier NPCs may not have been as distinctive as original designs but I don't think they're supposed to be.

As noted already I feel like adding you and/or your friends Miis must have been a feature they were considering.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a smart reuse of existing tech. Why reinvent the wheel for a face data specification when there's a perfectly good one lying around?

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
This is... legitimately brilliant lmao

I thought it was pretty impressive and surprising that the game had nothing but unique NPCs all over the game world despite having several times more NPCs than any previous title. This is a smart way to try and generate those characters.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
This is... legitimately brilliant lmao

I thought it was pretty impressive and surprising that the game had nothing but unique NPCs all over the game world despite having several times more NPCs than any previous title. This is a smart way to try and generate those characters.

Much better than having the sample character model for multiple characters, for sure.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious what some of the monstrous Miis would look like in BotW, the ones where the eyes are placed on the side of the head and whatnot

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Absolutely incredible example of both smart management and resources. I am beyond impressed.

The fact seemingly no one put it together before now is honestly even a bit more surprising. I always felt like I had seen some of the faces elsewhere, too.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Really neat stuff.

Now they could let people import their Miis into BotW2.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I'm really curious what some of the monstrous Miis would look like in BotW, the ones where the eyes are placed on the side of the head and whatnot
btFYQSw.jpg

I'm only half joking

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So wait, were they using the Mii editor to quickly create BoTW NPCs? Cause if so, that's fucking amazing.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty smart on Nintendo's side, very interesting. Can't wait to see the cool stuff that will come out of this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That makes a lot of sense. The NPCs were much more unique than previous Zeldas

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm seriously wondering if a potential BotW2 feature was just accidentally revealed with this...

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That makes a lot of sense. The NPCs were much more unique than previous Zeldas

In which world are they more unique?
Apart from the Gerudo having a few different body types, hylians were all normalized with varying face features.
I miss the insane, surreal characters from previous games that were halfway to being from Psychonauts (apart from TP, those were just creepy). ie. Skyward Sword:
skyward-swords-fortune-teller-sparrot-from-zelda-wiki.png
6uEuob4.png
articleAxleMostAnnoyingCharacters21.jpg

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely makes me wonder ifback when this was a WiiU exclusive and Miis were more prominent if this was going to be a feature? Maybe tie into the miiverse for the game?

Edit: I missed this is a different format, so probably not.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In which world are they more unique?
Apart from the Gerudo having a few different body types, hylians were all normalized with varying face features.
I miss the insane, surreal characters from previous games that were halfway to being from Psychonauts (apart from TP, those were just creepy). ie. Skyward Sword:
skyward-swords-fortune-teller-sparrot-from-zelda-wiki.png
6uEuob4.png
articleAxleMostAnnoyingCharacters21.jpg
There were also like 10x more NPCs in BotW so...