• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I just finished BOTW, and it's the first Nintendo game I've played in many, many years.

In the beginning it took a couple of hours to get into it, but once I got to Kakariko I was HOOKED. I couldn't wait to come back and continue exploring, having those little joys with the regular new discoveries the game gave you. I couldn't wait to get to the next area and the next villages.

For the next 50 hours or so I continued to stay hooked, but then after I was 2 divine beasts in and had done half the map, the wonder really started to wear off. The joys become fewer and fewer, with longer and longer periods of struggling to stay engaged while I waited for something new to happen. The game unfortunately started to become a drag for these long periods.

I've seen a lot of fuss about how BOTW is the best open world ever etc. but honestly I started to dread reaching new towers. It may not reveal loads of map markers like other open world games, but it effectively did the same thing by revealing all these named locations that you would have to go to and trundle around while looking for something interesting. For me it didn't really escape the open world trappings that people claim to hate so much.

Usually the only thing waiting for you at these locations was yet another repetitive af Korok "puzzle" (that's being generous). Very occasionally you would find an actually novel area.

After the last divine beast I'd had enough suffering through wandering around aimlessly and just wanted the game to be over. Now, you could say that I brought this upon myself by exploring unnecessarily, but the problem is you don't always know which areas will have something interesting before you actually get there. I'm also the type of person to want to see everything the game has to offer. To the game's credit it does a decent job of directing you to some of the most interesting places through dialogue.

In the end I got 130 hours out of the game and I guess I only left with 3 areas unexplored, so maybe I don't have a right to complain, but looking back for the second half many of those hours weren't very enjoyable. I really wish there had been more of a story to hook me in, and the main quest was strangely unfulfilling. I also feel like having more complex side quests that really expanded upon the lore/characters would have made the exploration really rewarding.

I don't regret playing BOTW (and it's still a great game), but I should have just stuck rigidly to only the central POIs, occasionally venturing out to see the obviously different places on the map.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Its a fun game but eventually I just got tired of it.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
BotW is not made to go 100%.

The "reward" is literally a piece of shit for completing the game.

Just play it, roam around, go fight Ganon when you are tired and that's it. The game doesn't even push you to explore or do anything in particular.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I think even if only half your 130 hours were enjoyable, you got way more mileage out of it than you would most games.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, a common complaint I see about open world games in general is the need to explore anything and everything, including the things they don't find interesting or fun instead of sticking with the things they find interesting and fun. I really do think it changed the game when it comes to open world titles, but at 80 hours, even I looked at the map, gave a little sigh, and changed my focus to beating ganon.

You don't have to do everything if you're starting to find the loop tiresome. it's a big game and it's more than okay to know when to head to the finish.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I just decided I was done when I felt done and then just went to the castle and felt more than satisfied.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me Breath of the Wild was a game that got better the more I played it. Not that there's anything wrong with your opinion, I just found the annoying roadblocks really got in the way of my enjoyment, but once I'd opened up the map and got the gear that stopped temperature and rain being a pain, it was much better. I found it quick and easy to navigate the map by the end and that's when I liked it best.

Sep 22, 2019
Honestly, once you find out that most of the secrets scattered across Hyrule are shrines and korok seeds then it becomes kind of a drag to explore. I must confess that the 90 hours that I played the game were one of the best gaming experience. In the end, everything gets boring after a while.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest disappointment was how the game never evolved past the first dungeon. No new skills, the art direction of the dungeons remained practically the same, and the final castle looked ugly as sin.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of hours. Korok seeds are plentiful so you always have opportunities to expand your inventory no matter where you end up, I never took it upon myself to find all of them and I would personally end up hating the game if I did or if a genuinely good reward were locked behind them. The only things worth doing to completion are the shrines and / or the Trial of the Sword, and the Tarrey Town sidequest which is cute.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best way to play BotW is to just not worry about seeing everything

Yep. I stupidly put 150+ hours into it as there wasn't much else I wanted to play on Switch the first few months and I wanted to play/justify my shiny new toy.

I mostly really enjoyed the 55ish hours I spent wandering around, doing the 4 divine beasts, climbing all the towers, doing all the shrines I came across and beating Ganon. I was really sick of it and soured myself on it by the time I was done with all 120 shrines and exploring the world as much as I could stand.

That's a knock on me not dropping it when it stopped being fun than on the game though. Lesson learned on my part. I limit the open world games I play now, and the ones I do play I just stick to the main question and interesting sidequests and just do anything interesting I stumble across while doing those. I'm just not a fan of exploration for exploration's sake and never liked sandbox, make your own fun/adventure type stuff.

So I appreciate BOTW for what it is, but personally vastly prefer the other 3D Zeldas and the 2D ones from LTTP on as they're just a better fit for my personal gaming tastes.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They put so many koroks in just to make sure secrets were everywhere. They don't expect sane people to find them all. After 2 1/2 playthroughs I think I'm done. I'm sure I'll buy BotW2 but I'm concerned my engine fatigue will kick in early on the sequel.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There is plenty of mini games you can find and fun challenges like the mazes, being marooned and the lightning mushroom area. Though I would have preferred if they had some visual variety in the Divine Beasts and Shrines .

Oct 31, 2017
I did eventually get tired of it, but I got dozens of hours of fun first. I do wish it had a bit more focus, but the world was genuinly brilliant for most of that time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I put in 50 hours. Did a lot of shrines, did all the dungeons and castle, did some extra stuff like the trial island. It was fun and I feel like I got my enjoyment out of it. The game exists if you want to explore all of it - and no two players will play it the same way - but you should never feel like you have to clear a game 100% to get what you want out of it.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed for the most part. It need more traditional dungeons and more urgency. I hated the way just kind of ended.

"oh hey look I'm at my Hyrule castle, maybe I'll take a look around, oops I finished the game"

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I just wish there were proper dungeons. It would make the game so much more replayable for me.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
the only flaw in this otherwise flawless game for me, is that once you beat ganon and come back, he's right there again ready to be beaten.

I would've loved to engage in a post ganon-world in that game

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the developers seem pretty deliberate in their telling you, repeatedly, to play and enjoy and see what you see as part of your adventure without worrying about exploring every square inch.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played BotW like this: I followed the main path and got some shrines here and there and did the four divine beasts. After spending about 30 hours doing the divine beasts and story flashbacks, I challenged Ganon and felt very satisfied. I then immediately started a new file and put 300 hours into it and had an amazing time for every second of it.

When I played Zelda I tend to do a story playthrough and start over right away and take my time exploring the world. This was perfect for BotW.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of steam reviews of people who put 200 hours into a game "not recommended I didn't enjoy myself"

What the fuck were you doing for 200 hours then haha.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The biggest difference between BOTW and other open world games is that it doesn't tell you what to do, it just let you figure out by yourself and play it however you feel like. It all feels very natural, you really feel like you can do whatever you want in that world and that never stopped being incredible to me until the end.

Searching for all the shrines, all the memories, figuring out the best way to get scales from the dragons, making up strategies to defeat the big monsters, trying out food recipes. Those kept me for 140 hours.

In the end I got 130 hours out of the game and I guess I only left with 3 areas unexplored

How you get 3 areas unexplored with 130 hours???

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I wish people could just say they don't like something or that it was ok instead of investing 100s of hrs into a game to just come out and say, "what's the fuss?"

I doesn't make sense to me at all lol. I would never put that much time into something I even thought was just average.

Like I am not even sure what the take away from OPs take is lol.

There are many amazing BoTW threads on here that go over what many people loved about the games as well as those that are upfront about not really liking it. But the takes like this always leave me wondering what the point is lol. It wasn't a drag for many people but maybe they weren't looking for a reason to play contrarian to the popular opinion regarding the game.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
My biggest disappointment was how the game never evolved past the first dungeon. No new skills, the art direction of the dungeons remained practically the same, and the final castle looked ugly as sin.
You do get new skills from the dungeons, the special abilities that are only available once every x minutes. They do change the gameplay up, albeit not by much; they could've made those more useful and readily available, for sure.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I played for 130 hours, too. Did everything I thought was fun to do and stopped playing. One of my favorite games of all time.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My problem is that by the time I was tired of the game, I was so tired of it that I couldn't even convince myself to go to Hyrule Castle. So, essentially, I dropped the game 90 hours in after the 4 divine beasts, with a decent chunk of DLC done, yet not having stepped foot near Hyrule Castle.

Aug 28, 2019
Yeah... I felt the same, pretty much, although I didn't nearly finish it and I was never truly wowed by it. It felt more organic to explore than a lot of open world games, so I give it points for that, but it was still broadly the same sort of thing.

Before I bought it, I heard a lot of talk comparing it to the original Zelda in terms of nonlinear world design and free exploration. I suppose there's truth to that from a certain perspective, but it didn't feel much at all like the original Zelda to me. I would have liked it a lot more if it did.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I have played through it almost twice.

I went through the game the first time, just going from one divine beast to another, if I found a shrine I did it, if I found something cool I explored it (only thing I did 100% was fill in the map)

second time through I did the exact same thing, except in divine beast reverse order from my first time. had to go explore the world differently and found new things that I never saw the first time.

If I tried to do it all the first time through, I would have gotten bored too.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The best way to play BotW is to just not worry about seeing everything
I'm a little over 20 hours, have completed two Divine Beasts, and this is how I'm feeling about it already. There's such an overwhelming amount of side quests and random extraneous shit to do (like Korok seeds) that the volume of it all has really made me focus on just concentrating on pushing forward through the story. I'm enjoying it a lot more just making my way from one Divine Beast to the next than when I first started and felt like I couldn't move on from an area until I had done as many side quests in a given place as I could.

I do like doing the shrines though.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My problem is that by the time I was tired of the game, I was so tired of it that I couldn't even convince myself to go to Hyrule Castle. So, essentially, I dropped the game 90 hours in after the 4 divine beasts, with a decent chunk of DLC done, yet not having stepped foot near Hyrule Castle.
Shame. Hyrule Castle is the best part of the game.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Mate, Hyrule Castle is fucking fantastic, and a hell of a capstone to the adventure.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've seen a lot of fuss about how BOTW is the best open world ever etc. but honestly I started to dread reaching new towers. It may not reveal loads of map markers like other open world games, but it effectively did the same thing by revealing all these named locations that you would have to go to and trundle around while looking for something interesting. For me it didn't really escape the open world trappings that people claim to hate so much.
but that's the whole thing about this game ... you don't have to. you don't have to do anything you don't want to. if you feel you don't need to see what is in every corner of the map then just go and move on. go to the end and finish it.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's good until you start to realize that all the shrines, dungeons, stables, and enemy camps are the same thing.

Basically, exploring is good, but what you find isn't.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the area that will improve most in a sequel. I think botw is the best game ever made but it sure has boring dungeon designs. Every dungeon had the same style and I kind of get why you don't get new skills but I would have loved to find new fighting moves or something. It would make the map more interesting. More interwsting weapons would have been cool too. They set the ground work very nicely though and I can't wait to play the sequel.

Andrea_23

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Simply put, evolution passes through experimentation and not in forced stages, through a series of predetermined skills or tools ...

Wait, isn't this the very essence of evolution? : D

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This reminds me of steam reviews of people who put 200 hours into a game "not recommended I didn't enjoy myself"

What the fuck were you doing for 200 hours then haha.

I would use games like Phantom Pain as a similar example. Spent 40 hours on it as the gameplay was mostly fun - but looking back at the time I spent in it, it was a decent game filled with fluff but a bad Metal Gear Solid game.

Personally, I'd rather take a tailored 10 hour, more limited, experience over 100 hours of make-your-own-fun.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I would use games like Phantom Pain as a similar example. Spent 40 hours on it as the gameplay was mostly fun - but looking back at the time I spent in it, it was a decent game filled with fluff but a bad Metal Gear Solid game.

Personally, I'd rather take a tailored 10 hour, more limited, experience over 100 hours of make-your-own-fun.
Why not both? Breath of the Wild is tailored to let you make your own fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Weird game to me. Loved the Plateau section, and then once I jumped off and hit the open world, game just turned to shit to me. I have replayed the Plateau like 8 times or something and once i jump off I always just drop the game. I really should at least go beat Ganon at some point so I can see that.