• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't (and didn't want to) follow the number guessing leading up to the vote. I'm happy that No Deal is away for the moment. But I fear months and months from now the same indecision what to do will still be in place when the next deadline looms 😖

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
With everything that's gone on today, can I just say a big thank you to people like nature boy, beefy and others for keeping update to date with everything that's going on.

You're miles better than the Guardian and BBC live updates 😂

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I still can't believe Boris tried to do the DUP over after all the blather about the union, they have long memories over there.
It almost worked but i think that's going to come back and bite him even if he pulls Brexit off, it's really shoddy work even by his standards.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the point of a Customs Union amendment? They want to reject the deal and make Boris ask for another with a Customs Union as part of it?

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
Surely its best to just ignore them, I'm betting they are mostly Russian bots clicking them.
Oi?
This is a proper poll, not an online one.

The thing is, voting for the letwin motion gets them off the hook big time. This deal or no deal threat gone, chance for a better Brexit deal sharply risen, cover for not voting for the actual deal intact, and the deadline threat that, as Corbyn stated, was use to blackmail mps by Bojo now gone.

If they get shit from leavers, they can just point to the same pm who is supposedly the Brexit jesus that sent the extension letter. A lot of pressure by the cons have been lifted off of their shoulders. As one tweet posted in this thread said, it buys them time. They can look at the deal docs and easily say, as some rebels said last time with May's deal, the deal is no good and they want a better one.

It was mooted a potienal 12 labour rebels were expecting to vote against the amendment, the numbers were cut to to half of that.

They can chill now, well as much as one can in the situation.
This all seems to assume the EU will not wait and grant an extension.

I'm not so sure, the EU is gonna hold on to the letter, the UK gov probably already told Tusk what its next plan is (or some of it) and it's almost 100% sure they'll try a proper vote on the deal, rebel Labour MPs can't run away from making a decision.
Also the prospect of a "new deal" (from this government or a future Labour government) is NOT something the EU wants

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think there was the time left on the EU side to get it done?(not give an extension) so it would be more about how long if anything.
Another week seems a bit much if they decide to say no.
They can do it any way they want, a quick phone call between the 27 is enough.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I think what we will see is the EU until at least monday. The key thing will be the amendments to the bill. The bill is much more palatable to labour MP's if there is a customs union attached. It becomes even more palatable if there is a confirmatory referendum attach as well.
I think we may well see a referendum amendment attached and that would suit labour just fine as well as the SNP and lib dems. The DUP may even get onboard with it as they hate the deal and remain would be a preferred option as that would just leave things as they are. The DUP seem to be in the frame of mind that they have been screwed by Boris and anything to hurt is now good.
The numbers are now probably there for a referendum. Labour backs one, the rebel tories would back one, the libs and the SNP would.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I am displeased by the sudden and ever increasing relevance of the DUP over the last two years, two years in which their existence could have been comfortably forgotten by me.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think there was the time left on the EU side to get it done?(not give an extension) so it would be more about how long if anything.
Another week seems a bit much if they decide to say no.
no, EU was always going to wait for the UK to pass the deal first.
And while the EU Parliament only has one more plenary before the 31st there might be an extraordinary plenary if the UK passes it before the 31st

Like I said they're going to wait
No, just European Council.
Deal needs to be approved by the EU Parliament

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to be asking the DUP if they'd support an amendment to keep GB in the EU customs union. You know, to avoid that border in the Irish Sea thing. Bet you they'd be interested.
That can't be done with an amendment, it would need to be agreed between the UK and EU at negotiations, and negotiations on the UK's future relationship with the EU aren't part of this phase of the process.

I don't understand the point of a Customs Union amendment? They want to reject the deal and make Boris ask for another with a Customs Union as part of it?
A lot of people don't fully follow the process and the UK media has been awful at explaining it. That has meant a lot of misinformation about the scope of this deal and what parliament can do.

So people think a customs union is an achievable goal even though it can only be negotiated as part of the future relationship, and people think parliament can amend the withdrawal agreement even though such an amendment would instantly kill it.

Im not sure why people are worried about an extension - the EU are on record as saying it will be granted.
The reason they're worried is that there's no one in the EU who can guarantee that. As unlikely as a rejection would be, it would only take a single leader to reject it and it's gone. For the EU to be "on record" as saying it would be granted, you'd need public assurances from each of the 27 leaders.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I am displeased by the sudden and ever increasing relevance of the DUP over the last two years, two years in which their existence could have been comfortably forgotten by me.

I disliked most of the setup. If the ending of that plot line is that the DUP, having been bribed with the £1b money tree by May, finally end up being the votes that bring us a second referendum ending in Remain then I for one am happy with the end result. Provided they then sink into utter irrelevance again.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I disliked most of the setup. If the ending of that plot line is that the DUP, having been bribed with the £1b money tree by May, finally end up being the votes that bring us a second referendum ending in Remain then I for one am happy with the end result. Provided they then sink into utter irrelevance again.
Seconded

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EHRKnHCWoAAYIES

Pretty restrained for the MoS, all things considered

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people don't fully follow the process and the UK media has been awful at explaining it. That has meant a lot of misinformation about the scope of this deal and what parliament can do.
Yeah I was wondering if it was based on...anything but like you I assume it's just people misunderstanding what is going on.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

They'll fade away back to only being relevant in NI soon. There's a decent chance that they might lose some seats in the next election as well so their slow decline into irrelevancy could continue from there.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
That can't be done with an amendment, it would need to be agreed between the UK and EU at negotiations, and negotiations on the UK's future relationship with the EU aren't part of this phase of the process.

So people think a customs union is an achievable goal even though it can only be negotiated as part of the future relationship, and people think parliament can amend the withdrawal agreement even though such an amendment would instantly kill it.

The reason they're worried is that there's no one in the EU who can guarantee that. As unlikely as a rejection would be, it would only take a single leader to reject it and it's gone. For the EU to be "on record" as saying it would be granted, you'd need public assurances from each of the 27 leaders.

There's dozens of ways to achieve it, by adding requirements for the Government to seek it. You do that, set it in legislation, and the ERG won't back the deal. Which kills it.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I think Dacre may be on his way out completely, apparently Rothmere only gave him a(non) job with a ceremonial EIC title to stop him pissing all over everything. Didn't work so he may be turfed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.