• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Typical Brexit voter reading this news

the-exam-of-mr-bean-o.gif

No, they start shouting about lies, remoaners and project fear.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There's also an argument that the Netherlands is culturally the closest to the UK of the European countries. Both largely protestant seafaring nations and the birthplaces of liberalism. Language aside maybe even more so than Ireland (though Dutch is also the major language closest to English).

Though this can be a negative too. Those companies are trading one group of chavs for other very similar ones.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
This whole thing sucks and is entirely fucking pointless. There's no measurable benefits to leaving other than keeping EU immigrants out if you're an awful cunt.

Indeed. And the ironic thing is, that the UK already had a lot of ways to lower immigration, but they can't. Because they actually need all those immigrant workers.

Lower taxes, good cultural fit, English speaking population although that English knowledge is overestimated, huge seaport and airports.

Relocating to Ireland would be much simpler, no?

Dublin doesn't have the infrastructure that Amsterdam and Rotterdam can offer. Schiphol is the third biggest European airport, and the port of Rotterdam is the biggest seaport, with the second biggest - Antwerp - being close as well. There are also high-speed train connections to Brussels and Paris, ...

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm quite confident remain would win on a 2nd so Q2 has no relevance but 'just in case'

Then you're out of touch and somewhat foolish, in my opinion. The anti-EU propaganda wagon is slowly starting up again already in preparation for any second referendum. And I've seen nothing to make me believe a new wave of lies will be any less successful than the first one.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah well if they love the EU so much we're better off without them

/s/s/s

You can spin anything any which way you want :(

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't know why I do this to myself but I read the comments on the BBC Airbus article.

1860. Posted byCarse
on14 minutes ago
My question for you Remainders is what makes you think I as a Brexiter do not want to see your economy destroyed? I know you morons do not get it yet, but we hate you, we hate New Labour, we hate your fake economy, your fake currency, and we hate the EU. Why would you want us to prevent destruction of all that you hold dear? You are blind.

You know what, I almost want to see their No Deal fuck up. It will allow my country Scotland to finally fucking realise we need to be rid of these idiots down south. But I'm not evil and fucking ignorant so yeah, no to No Deal please!

Oct 30, 2017
Then you're out of touch and somewhat foolish, in my opinion. The anti-EU propaganda wagon is slowly starting up again already in preparation for any second referendum. And I've seen nothing to make me believe a new wave of lies will be any less successful than the first one.

Maybe I'm just hopeful the large % of people who didn't vote (young demographic) would turn out and vote Remain this time!

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm just hopeful the large % of people who didn't vote (young demographic) would turn out and vote Remain this time!

There is going to be a multi-pronged attack on the second referendum from before it's even announced. The forms of attack will include:

* More anti-EU propaganda for the leave base.
* Attempts to persuade particularly swing voters from the last referendum that whatever they wanted at the time, it's only right to accept the will of the people from the first vote.
* Calls to apathy - so many people have ended up in a state where they're sick of the whole thing and just want something to happen. Persuading these people not to bother to vote will be a core part of it.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

The main hope of a second referendum would be demographic shift. A significant proportion of Leave voters have died over the past three years, while being replaced by people who were in the 15-17 age bracket in 2016. A campaign urging younger people to vote would probably be enough to tip the balance.

Deleted member 9986

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Countries should sanction us for being a tax shelter. Society at large will lose from the companies moving to our country.

Deleted member 9986

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We see insignificant returns on these companies sitting here, when traveling throughout the country you see various international (American) companies that don't even have any business here outside of dodging taxes (Verizon in the Hague for example).

It is our government that is full of ideologues who basically believe in trickle down and will invite the world to compe here and pay near zero tax in a way to express their world view. To the public they claim it will bring jobs (documented lie) or whatever, nobody in the country except for the politicians believe this (even public officials protested against their latest attempt at removing taxes on dividends). All that nice talk about the Netherlands having nice infrastructure is paid for by the lower and middle income classes, we pay and the top profits (we're into 40 years of centrally mandaded stagnation of wage grwoth).

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
We see insignificant returns on these companies sitting here, when traveling throughout the country you see various international (American) companies that don't even have any business here outside of dodging taxes (Verizon in the Hague for example).

It is our government that is full of ideologues who basically believe in trickle down and will invite the world to compe here and pay near zero tax in a way to express their world view. To the public they claim it will bring jobs (documented lie) or whatever, nobody in the country except for the politicians believe this (even public officials protested against their latest attempt at removing taxes on dividends). All that nice talk about the Netherlands having nice infrastructure is paid for by the lower and middle income classes, we pay and the top profits (we're into 40 years of centrally mandaded stagnation of wage grwoth).
I mean.. I get what you're saying, but in this case it will literally bring jobs right? Or are those 250 companies just going to be there in name?
Also seems preferable (for the EU) to those companies staying in the UK. Or at worst, it still won't be a loss for the people in general, right?

Deleted member 9986

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean.. I get what you're saying, but in this case it will literally bring jobs right? Or are those 250 companies just going to be there in name?
Also seems preferable (for the EU) to those companies staying in the UK. Or at worst, it still won't be a loss for the people in general, right?
Most will be there in name (Amsterdam south has tons of these 'offices'), others will have a handful of employees. Nothing to warrant the gigantic loss to the EU. It is a loss because it is another way to keep the redistribution upwards in place. Those companies could have paid taxes in another European (EU) nation. Yet now they are keeping the money in their own pockets, it is a loss. This is also referred to as the 'race to the bottom' theory.
Polls show that the majority of the Dutch public want to stop with these practices because whoever is benfitting, it is not us that live in permanent austerity (austerity since 2003+). I firmly believe that we can top all the charts when it comes to quality of life under different rule, we have huge potential as a nation.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Tax haven, good infrastructure, good airport and yeah, everyone speaks English.

And the largest port in Europe!

The tax haven thing is a bit much, There is a reason why large companies have to make deals with the government. The regular tax system is pretty rational, and probably something other countries should follow. I dont agree with Those deals btw.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Damn Dutch can gain a lot from Brexit.

I'm not really sure. We're a major trading partner of the UK and a Brexit would have some major impact for our industries and lots of stuff that's brought in by boat (and would have to deal with inspection if the UK quits the EU) is brought in through Rotterdam's harbor. Truckloads of corporations over here have been forced to put together emergency plans for a scenario that may or may not come to pass and it's been a huge headache, all because of a crappy referendum we didn't get a vote in.

I imagine most Dutch with a stake in all this would have preferred if Cameron had steered clear of the world's shittiest game of chicken.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good long term idea with global warming. I'm sure those windmills will keep them cool.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm not really sure. We're a major trading partner of the UK and a Brexit would have some major impact for our industries and lots of stuff that's brought in by boat (and would have to deal with inspection if the UK quits the EU) is brought in through Rotterdam's harbor. Truckloads of corporations over here have been forced to put together emergency plans for a scenario that may or may not come to pass and it's been a huge headache, all because of a crappy referendum we didn't get a vote in.

I imagine most Dutch with a stake in all this would have preferred if Cameron had steered clear of the world's shittiest game of chicken.

The economic damage of Brexit to our country is estimated at 10 billion euros by the Dutch government.

That's currently the only solid datapoint we have; there are hypothetical opportunities where we can fill the void left by British exporters having a harder time entering the common market and there is the trend mentioned in OP, but it's unclear whether these gains offset the losses.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
That was to be expected.

The situation regarding the five domestic channels (BBC One, Two, Four, CBeebies and CBBC) is bit more tricky:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/201...channels-to-loose-international-distribution/

"In case of a 'no-deal-Brexit' the BBC is set to lose the international distribution of its domestic channels in Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium."
"The commercial channels of the BBC, such as BBC First, BBC Entertainment and BBC World News will not be affected, but the British broadcaster will need to apply for an EU licence in another country in the [European] Union."

"Getting a broadcast licence in another country would require the BBC to have their head office (of the international operations), a significant part of their workforce (at least the people who are responsible for programming) and a satellite up-link in the country to qualify for a licence there. Such a licence would be a solution for the commercial channels, but would not work for the domestic channels."
Without a deal the domestic channels will disappear from Cable and IPTV offerings outside of the UK, which will also result in less income for the BBC.