• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
A day after this thread...
Britain's economy has slowed to a standstill, largely because of Brexit (The Economist)
20180623_BRC694.png

Brexit has already cost the U.K. more than its EU budget payments, study shows

The damage to the U.K. economy caused by the vote to leave the European Union two years ago already exceeds the size of the budget contributions Britain will be able to claw back when it finally leaves the bloc, according to an economic study by the Centre for European Reform.

Uncertainty caused by Brexit has already caused a 2.1 percent dip in economic output, even before Britain's departure next March, the CER said late Friday in an emailed statement. That's cost the public finances 23 billion pounds ($30 billion) in lost tax revenue, the think tank said.

The economic damage means the Treasury has less money to spend on public services, and knocks on the head the idea that Britain will enjoy a "Brexit dividend" when it no longer has to contribute to the European budget, it said.

"Two years on from the referendum, we now know that the Brexit vote has seriously damaged the economy," said CER Deputy Director John Springford, who authored the study. "We know that the government's Brexit dividend is a myth: the vote is costing the Treasury 440 million pounds a week, far more than the U.K. ever contributed to the EU budget."

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, who spearheaded the Brexit campaign in 2016, toured the country at the time in a red bus promising to use the budget contributions of 350 million pounds a week to instead fund the National Health Service.

U.K. Contribution to EU Half Amount Claimed by Brexit Campaign

In reality, Britain pays only half that amount, since it gets back around 9 billion pounds from the EU, though that didn't stop Prime Minister Theresa May touting a "Brexit dividend'' this week when she announced a 20.5 billion-pound boost for health care.

More Brexit news from today:
Boris Johnson calls for 'full British Brexit' two years after EU referendum
London anti-Brexit march: Protesters walk through Capital on 2nd anniversary of historic referendum to demand new 'People's Vote'

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
In the Tories defence, their disastrous budget policies could have caused this instead.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Some brexiteer admitted that the effects of Brexit may last 30 years.

I'll be in my 60s. Your kids will be adults.

All because of 50-70 year olds who romanticise a time that never actually existed.

If you tolerate this then your children will be next.

Being pro-Brexit is no longer a stance. It's a religion, a cult. We shouldn't let religions and cults dictate politics. Anyone who is still pro-Brexit after everything that's happen should never be taken seriously on any matter.

Remember - Brexiteers have had over two years to convince us that leaving the EU was the right idea but all their cult has done is prove that EU membership is the only sensible option.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fun hasn't even really started yet, just wait for the big multinationals to pack up shop.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
Damn if thats not a stunning indictment of brexit, I don't know what is.

Isolationism in a globalized world is not a winning strategy.

This should be a lesson taught across all UK school in the future.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most common way to discuss Brexit is in purely economic terms, maybe because that's measurable and easy.

There are other lenses to view Brexit through, which if explored, may help people understand other reasons for people's votes and other justifications.

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.the...m-creating-loneliness-wrenching-society-apart

(I don't expect anything other than the usual dogpile for this post tbh, but as a society we do need to stop viewing our worth as humans in purely economic terms.)

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Party of Business.

How can you justify Austerity when you're committed to Brexit that does nothing but hemorrhage money.

The most common way to discuss Brexit is in purely economic terms, maybe because that's measurable and easy.

There are other lenses to view Brexit through, which if explored, may help people understand other reasons for people's votes and other justifications.

https://www.google.es/amp/s/amp.the...m-creating-loneliness-wrenching-society-apart

(I don't expect anything other than the usual dogpile for this post tbh, but as a society we do need to stop viewing our worth as humans in purely economic terms.)

You have a point but the problem is that quality of life is completely dependant on how much money you have.

And in an economy like Britain's the long term effect of Brexit will be loss of jobs and rising prices. People's livelihoods will and are being destroyed for little to no tangible or practical benefit.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see how exiting the EU, is helping you against Neoliberalism, actually quite the opposite.

And one of the biggest arguments of pro-brexit people was,after all, money.

The problem is that people distrust of the current state of things are embracing exactly the thing of what they are running from: the far right economic model, extreme individualism, a rot of the democracy model and tools, xenophobia and racism is precisely the type of society people maligned with neoliberalism should not desire.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
They probably think it just costs a lot upfront and they'll make up the savings over time.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Now if only someone over there had the balls to stand up and say, "this is wrong and dumb, let's stop."

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's this dumb British principle of following through, even if it's a bad idea because pride demands it.

I fucking hate living here now. Shits gonna suck so bad

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017

All of which don't stand up to scrutiny, a lot of people blame the EU on things that aren't EU issues be it immigration control to a romanticisation of a time that never existed.

Regardless of people's views, the only thing that matters is that Brexit makes everyone poorer, economically and socially.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
This is only the beginning. It's going to get a lot worse.

I don't think rescission bad but stagnant growth for years and years to come which is going to be worse for the U.K. stagnant economy, stagnant wage, austerity for years to come. The U.K. that comes out of Brexit could be very different.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
This is only the beginning. It's going to get a lot worse.

I don't think rescission bad but stagnant growth for years and years to come which is going to be worse for the U.K. stagnant economy, stagnant wage, austerity for years to come. The U.K. that comes out of Brexit could be very different.
Thankfully both the Tories and Labour will be finished. If this goes badly, no one will ever trust either party again, but that will push people towards fringes. More right vs left.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
That 20.5 billion payout for the NHS is sheer bullshit. It works out as 394 million a week, more than that lie they had on that bus. Fucking Tories are such cum sponges.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not british so I looked up poll numbers... Labour is only behind by 4 points?
I am used to them being a party of disaster and wayy back? Are people finally learning?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As an American I still don't understand why Brexit is even a thing.
It's the Trump effect but instead of electing some moron to office to destabilize the region and their own economy, they decided to destabilize the region and their own economy first.

(Then they elected some moron to office so it's the same deal really, just a different order)