• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
You do know what is going on in the USA right now? I mean, a no-deal would be undeniably bad, but are we having basic human rights withdrawn as is happening state by state out there?
The difference is the temporary nature of the USA's current status, you have 1-5 years left of Trump. A no-deal Brexit would have repercussions that would last for decades. Start with a brain drain, as those who can, get the hell out. Add an emboldened right wing high on owning the lefties. Mix in a return to casual racism and an intolerance for Europeans. Massive increases in poverty, drops in funding for the NHS and support services. Huge increases in wealth inequality. A move to US style healthcare but no one with any money to pay for it. It's a dark time in the USA, but you will see a dawn. The same can't be said about the UK in the case of a no deal Brexit.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need a cabinet note to tell us this. Anyone who has been paying attention to this slow moving car crash for the last few years knows that "No Deal" has always been an impossible scenario (assuming you don't want to turn the UK into a disaster zone). It certainly wouldn't take 4-5 months to prepare for it - it would take years, at the very least. There isn't even a concrete idea about what you'd do for goods moving over the border, so the idea that you could have people registered on 'schemes' that haven't been thought up in the next few months is worse than a joke, it's dangerous.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wonder how fast Scotland will leave once Boris is prime minister.
Also - I wonder how fast a brain drain will happen in the UK and make things even worse.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A Londoner expat friend here in the States goes into laughing fits when people invariably ask her why she doesn't return to England because we have Trump.

She thinks the States has a chance to enventually turn things around and that the UK does not.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boris legitimately doesn't care. He's absolutely famous for acting without considering the consequences- he'd take us out without a deal without a second's consideration for what follows.

If and when he gets in, a vote of no confidence is the only way to avoid no deal, and I simply do not believe enough Tories will have enough of a conscience to make that happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Stockpiling medicine

It's just... hard to fucking.... even comprehend
You'd be surprised, national or at least localised stocks fluctuate a fair amount. The average idiotic no dealer has no clue how bad it will most likely get, but if anyone is supporting Boris then we are truly fucked as a nation

To quote Fat Mike "majority rule don't work in mental institutions" - this is the reality of the UK right now

In fact the whole song feels pretty on the money

"Idiots Are Taking Over"

it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over
spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer?

Mensa membership conceding
tell me why and how are all the stupid people breeding
Watson, it's really elementary
the industrial revolution
has flipped the bitch on evolution
the benevolent and wise are being thwarted, ostracized, what a bummer
the world keeps getting dumber
insensitivity is standard and faith is being fancied over reason

darwin's rollin over in his coffin
the fittest are surviving much less often
now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening
someone flopped a steamer in the gene pool
now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception, it's the rule
and im startin to feel a lot like charlton heston
stranded on a primate planet
apes and orangutans that ran it to the ground
with generals and the armies that obeyed them
followers following fables
philosophies that enable them to rule without regard

there's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated
political scientists get the same one vote as some Arkansas inbred
majority rule, don't work in mental institutions
sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions

what are we left with?
a nation of god-fearing pregnant nationalists
who feel it's their duty to populate the homeland
pass on traditions
how to get ahead religions
And prosperity via simpleton culture

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
It's strange to me why the UK and US don't mass public riot. These are countries where you know you cannot get violently shot by governmental regimes for speaking your minds(though local police across the US is a different matter), so why not stop members of government from getting into their buildings? Stopping and protesting at every level and chance you get.

It sometimes almost feels like people just don't care at all. There are other countries where shit would burn, for less offenses experienced than the ones that occur in the US and UK.

Not quite a riot but a million people turning up for a protest in a country of about 60 million is a hell of a showing:

People give a shit. It's just not politically advantageous to acknowledge it on the right wing

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
You do know what is going on in the USA right now? I mean, a no-deal would be undeniably bad, but are we having basic human rights withdrawn as is happening state by state out there?

One of the rallying cries for the leave side was the "Human Rights Act" that was "forced on us by the EU".

For a start, that's not quite how it works (it was based on the ECHR, which predates the EU by a few decades), and even then the legislation was written by Brits, based on the ECHR that was largely written by ... Brits.

But one of the big things was getting rid of this and doing a new "British Human Rights Act". And fuck knows what that will contain, if anything.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt this will make any sort of difference. The public voted for fucking Nigel Farage's new party overwhelmingly in spite of the past three years revealing every lie he told.

These people don't care about facts, they want brexit.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's amazing how this dumpster fire just keeps burning brighter and brighter
Feels like at some point it changed from a dumpster fire and became more like an ecstasy of ritual flame. Folk gladly throwing things on the fire hoping some other outcome other than being burned alive will happen.
f04fd41eb3abf6a4688b657d711a9504e1e05fdd_hq.gif

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
We've peacefully protested so much and it doesn't matter, I seriously feel there will be riots if nothing changes.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Mogg has been everywhere this morning and not one interviewer has really pushed him on this (or even mentioned it).

Mogg also just admitted that is no deal or the end of the conservative party. This whole thing is coming down to Tories trying to save themselves over the good of the country

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
Leave means Leave innit, No Deal or Bust! Europe and other countries will be begging us to do trade deals, they need us more, we won two world wars.

/average Leaver belief and rhetoric being pushed in the media.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Are there really dead-enders in the UK who are that deluded? All just about the racism and damn the consequences?

Yes. There are people who have now based their entire personalities off it. They don't understand it, they don't care about what else the government does for them - they just want Brexit.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Yes. There are people who have now based their entire personalities off it. They don't understand it, they don't care about what else the government does for them - they just want Brexit.
I'm still yet to hear a solid interpretation of how it will work, what it actually means, or what the consequences are (from a leave perspective). It's all empty rhetoric regurgitated from news papers and right wing talking heads.

You just ask "why?" and "how?" and there's just nothing behind it

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Who actually, genuinely wants a no-deal Brexit? Are there really dead-enders in the UK who are that deluded? All just about the racism and damn the consequences?

They were promised rivers of honey and not everyone is capable of identifying when someone is being manipulative for personal gain (or Boris would never have gotten so far in his career...)

At the EU elections, my polling station was in a church and the guy in front of me said something along the lines of maybe he'll pray we get out of the EU as soon as possible while he was there. He uh, definitely wasn't giving me the opinion he was in a position to benefit from leaving himself though.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't you worry, they'll spend millions, billions and their friends will be happy while they get a cut too. Making off like bandits. All those civil servants who have left will be rehired as private contractors.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say to this is:

Hail Eris!

Feels like at some point it changed from a dumpster fire and became more like an ecstasy of ritual flame. Folk gladly throwing things on the fire hoping some other outcome other than being burned alive will happen.
f04fd41eb3abf6a4688b657d711a9504e1e05fdd_hq.gif

Oh god... this is deeply depressing in its accuracy.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole Brexit clusterfuck will win tons of Emmy's when they adapt this into a show in a few years.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
No shit we aren't ready. It would be such chaos that it wouldn't really matter how long we had to prepare or how many billions we spent.

I know the tories for no deal are banking on that chaos so they can rapidly alter the state, tax rates and have a bonfire of rights.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
FFS. I just know that the hardliner Brexit supporters will call this "project fear" and claim it's fake to scare us out of leaving without a deal.

We're fucked

Plum

May 31, 2018
At this point it's best for everyone to just prepare for No Deal as best they can. Still try and get another alternative but there's no will in either the government or millions of braindead idiots to avoid anything but a crashing out.

All I can hope is that future generations never forgive those who caused Brexit.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018

The shitty US states want to revert themselves back to colonial era is not worse than the Tories/England/Wales dragging Scotland and NI to the no-deal shit hole.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
That has been a result of austerity rather than Brexit but I'll admit it is not going to get better if we crash out.

I've reconsidered - we are boned (I'd still rather live here than the US though! Once the NHS is dismantled I might reconsider again though)
Some would argue Austerity is what caused Brext too, I tend to partially agree.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
"we have delivered on the primary request of the people; the one big thing they have asked us to do"

I do wish the government would stop saying this. Only around 1/3 of voters actively asked for Brexit - the other 2/3s either voted against it or didn't vote. Every time they use this 'will of people' crap it completely ignores a massive proportion of the UK voting population.

Nov 18, 2017
"we have delivered on the primary request of the people; the one big thing they have asked us to do"

I do wish the government would stop saying this. Only around 1/3 of voters actively asked for Brexit - the other 2/3s either voted against it or didn't vote. Every time they use this 'will of people' crap it completely ignores a massive proportion of the UK voting population.

That's because it's what they want. The Tories in the UK are the same as Republicans in the US. They're shitting all over democracy because it's the only way to actualise their endgame. It's fucked. We're heading into dark times.