• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I know I'm not supposed to do this, and I know it's not helpful, but since I've been told over and over again that my position that Corbyn is actually pro leave is wrong, I can't help but point to this and wave my hands around.

Because here we are again.

The reason to vote for the peoples vote TODAY is that the EU have said they'll give the UK an extension for another referendum AND we're voting to ask for an extension today. How is it not the time? If parliament ask for an extension and the EU say 'why should we give you one?' and parliament don't have an answer... what happens?

Of course now is the time. If not, then when? In two weeks?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what happens if the speak doesn't allow Kyle/Wilson to be voted on because this has already been voted down?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, first and foremost he doesnt want to remain.

Yeah let's just forget that most of the People's Vote campaigners have also said to abstain today but sure, it's all Corbyn's fault.

Good to know they care more about their party than their country.

How are they going to get anything through parliament without the numbers? They care about getting the numbers to enact what you obviously want but it doesn't look like there's the numbers to get it through even if the whole of the labour party vote for it.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I'm annoyed and confused, but I have to assume that they're doing this for a reason and if this actually is the best action to take to actually get a second referendum later on in the process, so be it.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Far be it for me to defend Labour on Brexit, but this is Wollaston's fuck-up, not theirs. She runs the risk of taking the air out of the PV campaign for absolutely no good reason.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they abstained from the second ref today to see the next vote now pass. So if this one doesn't pass then they've really ballsed it up.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not lose sight of this.

The only way Labour want a People's Referendum is that they want it to be between "their" deal vs Remain.

Corbyn never wanted it between May's Deal vs Remain. Thats why you saw that vote just now.

The bigger takeaway is the 334.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Let's not lose sight of this.

The only way Labour want a People's Referendum is that they want it to be between "their" deal vs Remain.

Corbyn never wanted it between May's Deal vs Remain. Thats why you saw that vote just now.
Or, you know, even the people's vote campaign knew it was a bad idea and didn't want to do it

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Far be it for me to defend Labour on Brexit, but this is Wollaston's fuck-up, not theirs. She runs the risk of taking the air out of the PV campaign for absolutely no good reason.
I'm sorry but I'm with Wollaston. The EU don't have to give the UK an extension and have said multiple times that they would for a referendum. Today is when parliament decide whether or not to ask for one. Screw the party bullcrap and WHICH deal they want on the ballot etc.

The only way we can even talk about such a thing is if we take an actual step to remove the threat of no deal on March 29th. Unless you're planning to do a referendum in less than a week.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Even easier for them then.

Vote for it and don't anger your supporters and then try again later.

Corbyn is fumbling so much it's ridiculous.

But when you lose the government (and EU) will say parliament doesn't support a 2nd referendum, which might actually be true.

We are seeing a big split from the People's Vote camp on how they should operate.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah let's just forget that most of the People's Vote campaigners have also said to abstain today but sure, it's all Corbyn's fault.

How are they going to get anything through parliament without the numbers? They care about getting the numbers to enact what you obviously want but it doesn't look like there's the numbers to get it through even if the whole of the labour party vote for it.
Do you realize the message it sends to the EU when those who supposedly campaign for a second referendum doesn't even show up to a vote on the matter because of internal politics?

It's even more unlikely for them to grant an extension now because why should they when it's clear MPs care more about their seats than acting in good faith?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
But when you lose the government (and EU) will say parliament doesn't support a 2nd referendum, which might actually be true.

We are seeing a big split from the People's Vote camp on how they should operate.
Well we suspected a second referendum won't have a majority (I doubt it will have if labour pushes it next week) still it makes no sense for labour to abstain on this as the amendment won't pass anyway and anger their supporters.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but I'm with Wollaston. The EU don't have to give the UK an extension and have said multiple times that they would for a referendum. Today is when parliament decide whether or not to ask for one. Screw the party bullcrap and WHICH deal they want on the ballot etc.

The only way we can even talk about such a thing is if we take an actual step to remove the threat of no deal on March 29th. Unless you're planning to do a referendum in less than a week.
But it was never going to pass today, ever. Just look at the results. That's the reason why people have an issue with it being done today. You'd need more tory rebels on board, and honestly, that'll only happen if their backs are literally against the wall.
Well we suspected a second referendum won't have a majority (I doubt it will have if labour pushes it next week) still it makes no sense for labour to abstain on this as the amendment won't pass anyway and anger their supporters.
As much as I loath Corbyn and the leaderships pro-leave agenda. It would have angered just as many voting for it even if it lost.

They fence sat to not anger anyone. Just like they've been doing for months now.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can stack it up however you want- the votes that would enable a second referendum to happen simply don't exist yet. Everyone throwing their weight behind a second referendum vote now is only going to fail.

The only chance is for the second referendum to be the last option standing, and we're not even close to that yet.
But it was never going to pass today, ever. Just look at the results. That's the reason why people have an issue with it being done today. You'd need more tory rebels on board, and honestly, that'll only happen if their backs are literally against the wall.
Yeah, that, basically.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the vote on the extension to fail. Going to be absolutely hilarious when we have absolutely no action with any support.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Do any of these rotten MPs even want to Remain? Feels like almost all of them are pro-Brexit.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Do you realize the message it sends to the EU when those who supposedly campaign for a second referendum doesn't even show up to a vote on the matter because of internal politics?

It's even more unlikely for them to grant an extension now because why should they when it's clear MPs care more about their seats than acting in good faith?

334 MPs turned up to vote against it.

If a 2nd referendum was a real possibility there would be supporters on the Tory benches that would also abstain on the matter.

Now it seems clear the only way to get a 2nd referendum is to have a general election.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative on BBC going

"I hope the EU will see sense in the interest of the EU and the UK" along with threatening the 39bn that we owe the EU

fucking god damned fucking idiots.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
334 MPs turned up to vote against it.

If a 2nd referendum was a real possibility there would be supporters on the Tory benches that would also abstain on the matter.

Now it seems clear the only way to get a 2nd referendum is to have a general election.
None of them are going to break the whip for a vote they know will fail so I wouldn't read too much into the Tory vote.

There's more than a few that have publicly expressed their support for a second ref so when it comes to it it's going to be much much closer.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That Tory on BBC. The EU will blink, it won't be so bad, project fear. They are such lying gits.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's not a reason to abstain. That's the opposite of a reason to abstain.

I can understand why the campaign didn't want the vote to happen today. I can understand why it wasn't the best opportunity to bring this issue forwards (even if I believe it was absolutely right to bring this issue forwards today).

But 'it won't win anyway' isn't a reason to abstain from voting for something you support. Not if the vote is going ahead anyway.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yeah when you have the very people that spent a better part of two years wanting a ref and spending millions to do so, them saying not to vote for it should have been a big fat red warning to let this vote sink.

A cock up by the TIG. But not surprising, conniving idiots are it more in it for themselves then the other mps anyway.

Also, for those asking why not vote for the ref yet, we'll its a last resort, when all other options are exausted. Real close to the wire stuff, and the people in charge of the respective campaigns know that all too well. We are not there yet option wise, it's close though.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
He could have campaigned for Europe when it mattered -> Two years ago. He is indeed also partialy at fault, but please spare me with that stupid victimization of that man, ok?

I agree, he is partially at fault and his leadership has been weak at times but he is the better of the 2 evils. May campaigned to stay in the EU yet yesterday voted to take the UK out of the EU without a deal.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Benn's amendment failed to pass by (I think) just four votes.

EDIT - apologies, I was confused as it was an amendment to the amendment that didn't pass.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I agree, he is partially at fault and his leadership has been weak at times but he is the better of the 2 evils. May campaigned to stay in the EU yet yesterday voted to take the UK out of the EU without a deal.
Corbyn would be preferable to May for a whole boat load of reasons.

But I still think people who disagree with me that he's clearly pro leave are burying their heads in the sand.

And I know having this argument right now isn't helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.