• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'd be against the way Bercow is behaving if the government was governing, it feels like the country is adrift and May is hoping we wash up on her plan.

It wouldn't be good enough in normal times but it's insane in the current situation.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I do love how this is all somehow Labour's fault.

Sure, I think Corbyn is a fucking useless pile of skin. But at the end of the day it's the conservatives (and particularly May) that are risking no deal right now, mostly because of her obsession with appearing like she's actually achieved something during her time as leader of the country.

The conservatives could put forward a vote to revoke article 50. They wont, because they don't care about he country... they care about power.

If Labour can't change anything, why are they voting on making no-deal more unlikely? Only the Government can initiate the other option: Revoking article 50.
Labour can't revoke Article 50, so what are they voting for?

The outcomes are:
1. vote on May's deal. If labour want to negate no-deal they have to vote on it.
2. no-deal if May's deal doesn't get a majority and the government doesn't revoke A50
3. Revoking A50, can only be done through the government

well, technically they could beg the EU to get an extension, but why should the EU do that? It also needs an agreement of all 27 states. So again, why should the EU do that. They can point at the court ruling and tell the UK to revoke A50 if they are unable to vote Brexit into law.

I do love the narrative how Labour can't do anything but on the other hand has everything in their hands.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Take that, May.

Next week is going to be epic. Deal voted down, 3 days to do something about it.

May must hand the keys to parliament at that point.

After that? Expect a series of votes for an alternative.

The "Common Market 2.0" idea (Norway etc). Not a high chance of passing but maybe?

No Deal at all. Not a hope.

May deal with tweaks. Non starter but government may try this one.

After the votes, it'll be down to Referendum 2 or an election. Still 50/50 on either at that point.
And yet, unless Europe agrees to an extension, or agrees to common market 2.0 (since they've already said no tweaks to the deal on the table), it's still going to be no deal come the end of March no matter how any of these votes go.

They've got to work with Europe. The only thing the UK can unilaterally choose at this point other than May's deal, is no deal.

I sure as shit hope they're backchanneling any and all plans they've got. Because if they aren't, this is just causing more uncertainty.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel these two votes will just push those on the fence to vote for May's deal. I still feel May won't get the vote passed on Tuesday, but it will be tighter than it would have been.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, unless Europe agrees to an extension, or agrees to common market 2.0 (since they've already said no tweaks to the deal on the table), it's still going to be no deal come the end of March no matter how any of these votes go.

They've got to work with Europe. The only thing the UK can unilaterally choose at this point other than May's deal, is no deal.

I sure as shit hope they're backchanneling any and all plans they've got. Because if they aren't, this is just causing more uncertainty.
You'd hope that there's talking going on under the table right now.

Because if not, we're about to see a car crash.

The EU has said this is the final deal based on Theresa May's red lines. If the red lines are gone, the agreement can change.

They're playing the no change card publicly to help May now but if you look at past statements they've always said that the agreement is based on what the UK (May) has told them are the conditions of the talks.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

The EU has said this is the final deal based on Theresa May's red lines. If the red lines are gone, the agreement can change.

They're playing the no change card publicly to help May now but if you look at past statements they've always said that the agreement is based on what the UK (May) has told them are the conditions of the talks.
I have my fingers crossed that A: There is a plan beyond this and B: Europe are onboard with that plan.

But I'm incredibly pessimistic that those things are true.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If one of these people wants to make a change, there would need to be an amendment stating if there is no agreed deal by the 28th of February approved by parliament, the government automatically has to renounce article 50.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
We can choose to revoke Article 50 and end this madness.
I've seen nothing to suggest that will be put to vote, or that it'd pass if it was.

Of course that's precisely what should happen, and politicians should make the case to the country as to why it's the best thing for them, and put their own fears and ambitions second... but I don't see Labour or the Conservatives doing that. Do you?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I've seen nothing to suggest that will be put to vote, or that it'd pass if it was.

Of course that's precisely what should happen, and politicians should make the case to the country as to why it's the best thing for them, and put their own fears and ambitions second... but I don't see Labour or the Conservatives doing that. Do you?

Watch the reaction when Ken Clarke suggested extending article 50, it does not have a majority, I also don't see Labour voting for it, as Corbyn will say only if a GE is called

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

The Withdrawal agreement isn't going to change come what may. It's actually rather future relationship agnostic.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Labour won't call to revoke A50 (even if they did I don't think it would pass).

It'll be a second ref if it isn't a GE but a second ref on what is still unknown. If May's deal doesn't pass and there's no support for no deal it's remain or ????

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up. Can't help but feel like the votes from just before the end of last year have ensured there's a confidence among the Rebels now - they know they can win and so they go for it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Just caught up. Can't help but feel like the votes from just before the end of last year have ensured there's a confidence among the Rebels now - they know they can win and so they go for it.
We still don't know what their targeted end point is though... There will probably be dozens of different desired end points and things will start to fray when these differences get put to paper in amendment form. There are currently only majorities against things not for anything.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
We still don't know what their targeted end point is though... There will probably be dozens of different desired end points and things will start to fray when these differences get put to paper in amendment form. There are currently only majorities against things not for anything.
This is such an important point. I hope enough people are paying attention.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Keir Starmer (Shadow Brexit Secretary) just said he thinks Brexit will need to be delayed.

He's going to get it from the right wing press, but he's probably right.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

This is true - their united front may only last so long as it is able to piss off May.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
What needs to happen is a series of votes to find out what commands a majority, the problem at the moment everyone is against everything as it is not what 'they want' so we have got factions all over the place

But then the problem is people can not behave like adults, let's say a 2nd referendum is defeated , those MPs will then stamp their feet and block other ideas, similarly with those who want to leave...

Of fuck what we have here is a full on deadlock, GE election does not solve it, 2nd referendum does not solve it (unless you make it legally binding)

I think we need Guy Fawkes

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
What needs to happen is a series of votes to find out what commands a majority, the problem at the moment everyone is against everything as it is not what 'they want' so we have got factions all over the place

But then the problem is people can not behave like adults, let's say a 2nd referendum is defeated , those MPs will then stamp their feet and block other ideas, similarly with those who want to leave...

Of fuck what we have here is a full on deadlock, GE election does not solve it, 2nd referendum does not solve it (unless you make it legally binding)

I think we need Guy Fawkes
I would not be surprised if a peoples vote does not get a majority. Then what do we pin our hopes on? Revoking article 50 seems even more unlikely to pass.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Need a leader that speaks the truth with some gravitas or something. There is just too much bollocks and not enough truth, take people's issues head on and explain the fucking reality, truth and consequences, beg for forgiveness, admit you fucked up and ignored people etc. We can't get by with just leave versus remain like a football match, we need to lay out how it all it works, what the positives and negatives are, people are just pissed off instead of engaged and while I think remain is the best option, you need to get down to details and discuss it like grown ups with everyone, educate people like a school class.

Still think 2nd Ref will end up happening because nobody can decide but yeah, how do you get there, ballot question, is there two choices or whatever. What a mess.

Somehow we will get to the end, I doubt it's May's deal or No deal.

Nov 20, 2017
What is the leader of the opposition supposed to do when the government and prime minister go out of their way to show contempt for parliament?

He could, you know, oppose? Rally support against a hard brexit, like Cooper and Grieve are trying to do? Basically anything other than nothing, which he won't do, because he is a brexiter.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
He could, you know, oppose? Rally support against a hard brexit, like Cooper and Grieve are trying to do? Basically anything other than nothing, which he won't do, because he is a brexiter.

You do realise that there's absolutely nothing in his name that the Tories or DUP will vote for, right? Like, if he says the sun rises in the east and sets in the West, the Tories will vote against it.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
He can apparently stop no-deal but is powerless to revoke A50. Which makes voting Yes on May's deal the default outcome with this thinking.

Ah, I've always seen the Tories being in power at least until Brexit so the only chance I have thought he had was a second referendum.

If it ends up being May's deal that is down to the tories, at least there are the votes to do something else if they can agree. The only plus side of May is her love of the office, so I can see her hanging on to implement whatever Parliament manages to agree on(if anything)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Ah, I've always seen the Tories being in power at least until Brexit so the only chance I have thought he had was a second referendum.

If it ends up being May's deal that is down to the tories, at least there are the votes to do something else if they can agree. The only plus side of May is her love of the office, so I can see her hanging on to implement whatever Parliament manages to agree on(if anything)

clearly there are enough tory loyalists to get may's deal with the votes of labour?

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Has this been posted?

No more delaying shit

Would be a massive shame if Bercow was forced out, in my opinion. Just look at the "criticisms", beyond the bullying accusations it basically comes down to allowing the house more say. Anyone outside of the government would be mad to vote against him if it were to come to that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Read up on the Swire amendment... So they gave NI a veto on the backstop to blow up the deal anytime they want?

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I was more on about Bercow not allowing shit to be allowed again. I looked up the dude that wrote the article though and yeeeeaaaahhh

Anyone pointing at Bercow flouting convention needs to take a long hard look at the current political and social climate. Hardcore Tories have hated him for years and look for any opportunity to try and land a jab. Remember this? https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-hagues-attempt-to-unseat-speaker-john-bercow

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So like the people who voted Leave in 2016.
Pretty much. And it was always going to be this way, it was visible for miles ahead.

Dragging this back up from the Guardian, February 2016!

Any workable application of a Brexit vote would end up looking like a partial reconstruction of EU membership.Then each segment of the coalition for leave would feel betrayed, one by one. The Tory libertarians would complain that not enough regulation had been scrapped; the hard left would find corporate capitalism still rampant; Ukip nativists would see no sudden restoration of ethnic homogeneity to the streets.
That is the tragedy of this referendum. So much is at stake. A European alliance, decades in the making, could be undermined with no obvious economic or political benefits in exchange. And no option on the ballot paper can satisfy all the people for whom the whole destructive campaign has been arranged. The leavers may get what they vote for and still never get what they want.

Last edited:

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
anyone watching the sky news coverage? you can hear "out means out" and "we want brexit now" chants in the background, sounds like they're from some 50-something year old racists

it's been referred to on this channel as the "brexit crisis", which is definitely what this chapter will be called in future history textbooks. "Explain some of the contributing factors leading to the Brexit Crisis of 2019"

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
anyone watching the sky news coverage? you can hear "out means out" and "we want brexit now" chants in the background, sounds like they're from some 50-something year old racists

it's been referred to on this channel as the "brexit crisis", which is definitely what this chapter will be called in future history textbooks. "Explain some of the contributing factors leading to the Brexit Crisis of 2019"

The Gammon Epidemic

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose the extension is useful if May doesn't deliver a plan anyone agrees to once her deal is voted down and parliment takes over if I'm understanding that but on the other hand, it means more months of going around in circles wondering what cake to eat and probably the worst MEPs getting another term as leavers stamp their feet in the EU elections to stick it to the EU but falling once again for giving their manipulators a gravy train job of doing nothing. I still think there is enough track left before March 30th to get something in motion and the EU coming up with some temporary fudge to allow a 2nd Ref. Who knows, maybe there isn't enough time and push comes to shove, the UK government aren't fucking idiots and set a vote to revoke article 50 in the last week or two, no deal doesn't have to happen unless you let it.

Status
Not open for further replies.