• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

BREXIT |OT| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
The government has awarded a number of leading global consultancy firms with Brexit-related contracts worth £75m, it has emerged.
Sky News reports that the deals were brokered in April and had not been widely announced, with details of the plans discretely published on a government website just before Christmas, eight months later.
In contrast to a certain start-up ferry company, all of the companies involved are well-known – including Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, Bain, McKinsey and Boston Consulting.
Each company received a contract for “the supply of Cabinet Office consultancy support for EU Exit” worth between £5m and £10m, according to the report.
They don't actually get this money if nothing happens right?

We must be minus billions. Even if the bus was true, it wasn't we are ready to piss away billions on this shit that could be better spent elsewhere.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pesky International agreements.
You would think politicians would have a basic understanding of how serious they are, is Westminster going to throw a fit every time we make a trade deal.

Oct 25, 2017

We must be minus billions. Even if the bus was true, it wasn't we are ready to piss away billions on this shit that could be better spent elsewhere.
What are the odds that all of those firms all somehow have ties to the Tories?

Nov 6, 2017
Basically the Government accepted an amendment to the withdrawal agreement that rewrites the agreement to give Parliament a veto on the backstop.

The EU aren't going to accept this at all. They'll argue (rightly) that Parliament hasn't passed the withdrawal agreement.
Sorry, yeah, I get what the amendment does, I just can't for the life of me work out why the government accepted it?

Oct 26, 2017

They've already had money. The contracts expire in April this year with options to renew.

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

You think companies like Deloitte, Accenture, PwC and Bain would negotiate a contract where there's a risk of them not getting paid?

They'll have had those millions up front, and they probably get double if we leave and triple if we don't.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very pessimistic on this, I know, but I think the no deal is inevitable at this point, and when the world doesn't come to screeching halt in the first few days following Brexit, we'll be bombarded with a series of stories saying "See, we told you it was no big deal." Of course, the ramifications of a lot of these things won't be felt in the first few days.

Oct 25, 2017
[ Is this the idiot that was on the front page of the Daily Mail today?

Was going to pop in earlier and say I had a small tinge of respect* for them naming and shaming one of the racist loons today.

*obviously not ignoring that their previous rhetoric was instrumental in enabling shit like this

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact that its basically impossible for Brexiteer's and the Tory Party Leadership to explain why allowing parliament to vote on things is a bad thing and a mistake.

null

Oct 25, 2017

She accused the prime minister of continuing to "waste time" and said it was disappointing it had taken other parties at Westminster so long to start calling for an alternative to the government's withdrawal agreement.

"We told Theresa May to stop wasting time last November, she is still not listening and she is going to put a plan to Parliament that is dead," she said.
👏

Beefy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
[

Is this the idiot that was on the front page of the Daily Mail today?

Was going to pop in earlier and say I had a small tinge of respect* for them naming and shaming one of the racist loons today.

*obviously not ignoring that their previous rhetoric was instrumental in enabling shit like this
Yep. Imagine putting gaffer tape over your mouth when you have a beard.... it sums it up

Oct 30, 2017
Because certain sections of the media want MPs to be scared of Brexiters. It's not co-incidence that many have alluded to what happened to Jo Cox.

It's fucking disgusting.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that all of those firms all somehow have ties to the Tories?
These firms are pretty much politically neutral. At least one came out as against leaving before the referendum.

You think companies like Deloitte, Accenture, PwC and Bain would negotiate a contract where there's a risk of them not getting paid?

They'll have had those millions up front, and they probably get double if we leave and triple if we don't.
No, that's not how it works at all. They bill for work done, they'll be paid for the preparation stuff being done now but it's never up front

Oct 25, 2017
Because certain sections of the media want MPs to be scared of Brexiters. It's not co-incidence that many have alluded to what happened to Jo Cox.

It's fucking disgusting.
I disagree.

Fully in support of exposing the racist morons harassing MP’s - and the subsequent political affilitiations they have.

Edit: I should add that this doesn’t mean I want them popping up on panels or anything.

Oct 30, 2017
No, that's not how it works at all. They bill for work done, they'll be paid for the preparation stuff being done now but it's never up front
Not entirely true. If they were smart they would have known that the government are desperate and sold them a block allocation of time ahead of when it was necessary.

We've done the same thing with clients when approaching busier parts of the year. Reserve our hours now, or risk not getting us at all.

Then you've not been paying attention. The implicit threat is clear. Go against the will of the people, risk the consequences.

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely true. If they were smart they would have known that the government are desperate and sold them a block allocation of time ahead of when it was necessary.

We've done the same thing with clients when approaching busier parts of the year. Reserve our hours now, or risk not getting us at all.

Then you've not been paying attention. The implicit threat is clear. Go against the will of the people, risk the consequences.
I’m not sure we’re coming at this from the same angle.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not talking about that fuckwit, or others that have been identified over the last few days. I'm talking about the constant media coverage since the vote.

Oct 25, 2017
This throwback against Bercow from Tories is so hypocritical it's hilarious:
a)Tories will happily flout procedure and precedence whenever they feel like it
b) the discussion about parliamentary sovereignty is fine unless it's going against the PM or Brexit
c) all this talk of national interest.... Is exactly why he is allowing these amendments to visit be voted upon, because he believes parliamentary input, and a fast response from the government after Tuesday is in the national interest?

Oct 25, 2017
Current rhetoric hasn't changed as much as you'd hope either, judging by tomorrow's front page. Possibly one of their more inflammatory ones in recent times (which is saying a lot).
Oh wow!

Just seen it.

What fucking hypocrites, considering the protests going on around parliament at present - just gives the idiots another cause to rally behind.

That is inflammatory.

Oct 25, 2017
It's ok! They branded it "Comment" in small letters so they can't be held accountable for anything they say.
I’m guessing this is their angle nowadays - ramp up hateful rhetoric against individuals (it’s like someone was foaming at the mouth whilst writing that) - and then decry the horrible atmosphere when it gets a bit too toasty close to them.

I hope this is called out tomorrow.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
For some reason I think that is pretty tame for the Mail considering what he did compared to assorted enemies of the people and saboteurs etc.

Dacre would want him crucified outside parliament.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah it's not quite "enemies of the people" level of bad, but it's still an utter disgrace, and especially irresponsible in light of recent far right attacks on politicians who've shown any kind of anti-Brexit sentiment.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh yeah it's not quite "enemies of the people" level of bad, but it's still an utter disgrace, and especially irresponsible in light of recent far right attacks on politicians who've shown any kind of anti-Brexit sentiment.
I'm probably just bemused by the popinjay bit as I have never thought of him in that way ever. It's as if they needed to look angry for the readership but their heart wasn't really in it.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's important to see the 'Parliamentary Sovereignty' shibboleth get so throughly debunked by the reaction to Bercow. They've no interest in an empowered legislature, but rather an interest in further empowering an unchecked executive.

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
How is this allowed. Isn’t there some form of regulation that stops newspapers from filling their covers with “comments” rather than news? Or journalist pride, or public shame. Where I come from this type of cover just doesn’t exist - there’s bias but is subtle ways, every newspaper still tries to have a modicum of professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.