BREXIT |OT| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
Apparently there's a press conference at 10am where 5+/- Labour MPs are announcing they are leaving / introducing their new party.

itshappening.gif I guess? I can only assume that the result of this is to turn their seats blue at the next election but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Apparently there's a press conference at 10am where 5+/- Labour MPs are announcing they are leaving / introducing their new party.

itshappening.gif I guess? I can only assume that the result of this is to turn their seats blue at the next election but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
While I don't necessarily agree with those leaving, it really is testament to the worst parts of our FPTP system that MPs are essentially bound to the major parties as splitting off or joining a smaller party is a death sentence at the next election 90% of the time.

It's a big part of the reason why "Party before Country" is so prevalent.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I go on holiday for two weeks, come back, and nothinghaschanged.gif

in 40 days time, if nothing else happens, this country goes over the cliff. Yet two weeks can pass without any meaningful change. Madness.

If they had any balls, or any principles, they would all trigger by-elections as part of resigning from Labour.

But they won't, because they know they would get beaten at the ballot box and consigned to the dustbin of history endlessly rolled out by the BBC as a talking head for hire.

Fuck the lot of them, and roll on the next GE.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Are there going to be any heavy heavy hitters in this gang of five? If its Chuka and four people nobody have heard of then i don't think anyone will care.

The SDP split hurt because they were big players.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
Resigning Labour MPs: Luciana Berger, Mike Gapes, Ann Coffey, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith, Chuka Umunna, Gavin Shuker

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn is massively unpopular within his own Parliamentary party and yet remains massively popular among voters.
I’d question whether or not the latter part is true. He exceeded expectations at the last GE but ultimately still lost and his stance on Brexit since then won’t have done him any favours amongst his young base.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Corbyn is massively unpopular within his own Parliamentary party and yet remains massively popular among voters.

What a mess.
Is he though? Even in my local area, which is about as Labour as you can get (Birkenhead), most think Corbyn is unelectable.

Great, that’s another 5 years of Tories coming up.
Regardless of these MPs leaving. It felt like that was a given at this point anyway.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:
- Britain is a great country
- Government should keep people safe
- "Not every problem in the world is created by the West"
- Work with other countries to solve shared problems
- Good public services come from strong economy
- Government is custodian of money from the public
- "Believe in the innate creativity of individuals"
- Government should remove barriers
- Strong democratic institutions of press, police, etc

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shukar:
- "the class system is good, actually"

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Chuka wanting a share of that delicious 7.4% Lib Dem vote.

The coward will never call a Streatham by-election because of how humiliating it would be for him.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:
What a load of meaningless fluff.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think Corbyn losing an election to May shows he's pretty unpopular with voters.
The tories had the world at their feet at the beginning of the campaign, a mixture of a disastrous start to the Tories campaign and Corbyn coming across as a seemingly normal politician, and not the red menace helped.

I don't think he can win outright due to his baggage, but that doesn't mean I disagree with him over most issues.

ManixMiner

The Fallen
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
To be fair both Corbyn and May are both scraping the bottom of the barrel in votes. Neither are popular or are offering anything different from the opposition on Brexit. This new party will possibly just give us another decade of Tory rule just like it did with Thatcher and the SDP/Labour split following Michael Foots election loss.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be fair both Corbyn and May are both scraping the bottom of the barrel in votes. Neither are popular or are offering anything different from the opposition on Brexit. This new party will possibly just give us another decade of Tory rule just like it did with Thatcher and the SDP/Labour split following Michael Foots election loss.
As it stands I don't think it will have the same impact, none of these people are Roy Jenkins calibre.

ManixMiner

The Fallen
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
^ lol perhaps you should have figured which direction you throwing that grenade before pulling the pin?

As it stands I don't think it will have the same impact, none of these people are Roy Jenkins calibre.
True none of them of any character, Chukka is just a red Tory and lets be honest it's way too late in the day for setting up a new party, should have just stuck it out with Labour.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think Labour has really failed Brexit. I agree with their views on most other subjects, and I think the country would be better off with a Labour government, but that's inside the EU. Any party that wants to end freedom of movement is inherently pandering to xenophobia (as there's no benefit to losing the close relationship with the EU, and migration could be controlled with it still in place) and thus Labour has failed to be the inclusive and progressive party it wants to be portrayed as. For me that trumps all the other promises they may make, and I would not vote for them. I don't think these MP's are helping by leaving the party however, they were move helpful as influencers within the party to get the Brexit policy fixed.

plagiarize

Untethered once more
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm certainly not predicting specifically good outcomes when I say this, but there's no way the Tories go unpunished in the next ten years for the Brexit mess. This is just the start of a big shift to the political landscape in the UK I would wager. Where itll end up is anyone's guess but the Tories as we know them holding on to power as the UK suffers the ill effects of Brexit seems the easiest option to bet against.

null

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they disproves what I said. Are you saying he was projected to lose and did, and that proves the public want him as leader?
Everyone lost if you want to play that game, that's a what a hung parliament is. It's why Brexit is stuck in the mud because there isn't enough voices in any one camp to answer a binary question.

plagiarize

Untethered once more
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Everyone lost if you want to play that game, that's a what a hung parliament is. It's why Brexit is stuck in the mud because there isn't enough voices in any one camp to answer a binary question.
That and Britain is leaderless. Neither May nor Corbyn can get their party or people on board with their ideas. And those are ideas they designed to be popular. Imagine either of them trying to sell scrapping the whole thing.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Sky News reporting that Honda is preparing to shutter its Swindon plant with the loss of 3,500 jobs.

More workers thrown on the sacrificial pile for blue passports it seems...

danowat

Oct 27, 2017
Sky News reporting that Honda is preparing to shutter its Swindon plant with the loss of 3,500 jobs.

More workers thrown on the sacrificial pile for blue passports it seems...
I'm sure it will be followed by a chorus of "It would have happened without Brexit / Project fear" from the right wing mentalists.

Git

Oct 26, 2017
Welp they've done it. Will any of them have the spine to call a byelection though? It should be mandatory IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.