BREXIT |OT| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Euronews commissioned Populus to do an EU wide poll on Brexit, and as per Independent:
A survey by Populus found that 28 per cent of both French and Italian people believe the UK has already left the bloc. Meanwhile, 12 per cent of Germans also believe Britain departed some time ago, and two per cent of British people themselves make the same mistake.
(...)
Most respondents to the survey believed that Brexit will do more harm than good, especially when thinking about its effect on the UK – 59 per cent of people in Germany think it will be harmful for Britain, 41 per cent in France, and 38 per cent in Italy. Just 34 per cent of people in the UK believe the same thing.
I... I just... hrm...

What's the name of that yellow duck pokemon again. The one that constantly has a headache. I think I'm gonna make it my spirit animal.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Meanwhile, Euronews commissioned Populus to do an EU wide poll on Brexit, and as per Independent:

I... I just... hrm...

What's the name of that yellow duck pokemon again. The one that constantly has a headache. I think I'm gonna make it my spirit animal.
We kind of have in a way, we only turn up to meetings to be humiliated, we don't go to the proper ones with the adults anymore.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like we have a new word... Brexodus!

THINGS.ARE.LOOKING.PRETTY.GOOD

LONDON (Reuters) - England’s High Court on Tuesday gave Aviva, Britain’s second largest insurer, approval to transfer around £9 billion in assets to a new Irish company just before the starting gun is fired on Brexit.

The move, timed for 2259 GMT on March 29, is part of a wider withdrawal of business and money by financial companies seeking to keep contracts and policies within the European Union even after Britain departs. Brexit formally takes effect at 2300 GMT on March 29.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-idUKKCN1Q81YW

Fiocca

Feb 1, 2019
Not sure if this has been posted... but holy fuck, the state of these people.

Yep. Lying bastards. Said it would be easy, would improve things yet here we are now being told we could be paying loads extra for things by the same people. We really are in what feels like a banana republic. It's telling this isn't being called out on the mainstream channels except 4...

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
So, some Brexit/travel advice. I'm flying with my family to Hong Kong (my partner and I used to live there) on the 1st April. I've obviously got insurance with quite a hefty amount that I can claim through cancellation. I don't think it will be affected by Brexit but you never know, I've got a friend to watch my house in case looting kicks off big style (I'm joking, we watch each others' houses every time we go away).

Is there anything else I should/could do? We're only going for 10 days.

danowat

Oct 27, 2017
So, some Brexit/travel advice. I'm flying with my family to Hong Kong (my partner and I used to live there) on the 1st April. I've obviously got insurance with quite a hefty amount that I can claim through cancellation. I don't think it will be affected by Brexit but you never know, I've got a friend to watch my house in case looting kicks off big style (I'm joking, we watch each others' houses every time we go away).

Is there anything else I should/could do? We're only going for 10 days.
As you are travelling outside of the EU, you don't need to do anything 'special'

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
Since I suprisingly have never visited the UK yet, I've booked a flight for the last weekend before Brexit. My last chance to see a bit of the country before Children of Men/V for Vendetta becomes reality!!!

jelly

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted... but holy fuck, the state of these people.

Is this from before the referendum and a pro remain speech /s

O_o

I suspect this is what they want, leading to asset stripping because companies, smaller land owners are screwed and the richest, biggest opportunists feed on them. It's basically a sell off for people that can afford it and losing more control, these politicians are complicit for crumbs or just idiots.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Lying bastards. Said it would be easy, would improve things yet here we are now being told we could be paying loads extra for things by the same people. We really are in what feels like a banana republic. It's telling this isn't being called out on the mainstream channels except 4...
Except there wont be any bananas!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
As you are travelling outside of the EU, you don't need to do anything 'special'
What is the latest status with regards to flights anyway? Last I saw we'd worked out EU travel in the event of a no deal, but I don't know about the rest of the world (apparently most of the issues are to do with insurances / safety certification).

danowat

Oct 27, 2017
What is the latest status with regards to flights anyway? Last I saw we'd worked out EU travel in the event of a no deal, but I don't know about the rest of the world (apparently most of the issues are to do with insurances / safety certification).
I believe there is an agreement in place for flights, driving is a different matter though.

In the event of a no deal you'll need an insurance green card, which could be problematic if you're already out there,.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
Some of the Tory rebels actually went through with it? Shocking. I wonder if this movement will gain any momentum? If anything, a pipe dream would be the destruction of party politics, with a focus on candidates over party... Alternatively, a push for proportional representation over this broken two party FPTP bollocks.

Brexit is doing a number on both parties for sure.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Coming up to 1 month until the deadline date. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks so just catching up now.

I've cancelled my Porsche 911 order due to the surcharge, gonna get a British built Honda Civic Type-R inste.... DAMNIT.

Stop It

Oct 25, 2017
Well PMQ will be fun now.

May has went from "Lol at the Labour party" to "Well we didn't lose as many MPs as you".

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Coming up to 1 month until the deadline date. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks so just catching up now.

I've cancelled my Porsche 911 order due to the surcharge, gonna get a British built Honda Civic Type-R inste.... DAMNIT.
McLaren, clearly!

Well PMQ will be fun now.

May has went from "Lol at the Labour party" to "Well we didn't lose as many MPs as you".
She'd be well advised to keep her mouth shut I'd think.

danowat

Oct 27, 2017
They're trying the Brexit strategy. Why set up an actual party with "policies" if you can just vaguely rail against the status quo, then make up what the will of the people was after you win
Rail against it to what end?, what do they actually think they can do? what can they actually do?, seems a bit of a waste of time to me.

edit : ah, ok, they are planning on becoming a party, not really sure what they think they can do to restore some / any faith in the political system in this country though after all this recent mess.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've got one of those stupidly expensive "premier" insurance products. Covers basically everything you could think of. :)

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I’m not sensing any momentum toward this independent group, but I live in Scotland where we already have the SNP to fill that gap. Wonder if this will take off in England.

CampFreddie

Oct 25, 2017
Are any of these new independents even going to be re-elected without their red/blue rosettes?
I don't see the sort of grassroots support for these MPs that would allow them to beat a new Labour/Tory MP.

I mean, what is this group even for? Are they just trying to replace the DUP as a 'kingmaker' bloc?
Because people love the DUP and propping up a Tory government worked so well for the LibDems...

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I’m not sensing any momentum toward this independent group, but I live in Scotland where we already have the SNP to fill that gap. Wonder if this will take off in England.
I feel like the independent group is just a way for unpopular MPs to get out early. I bet that in a few months it will turn into a taxpayers alliance like think tank with the message of more privatisation and austerity.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of these new independents even going to be re-elected without their red/blue rosettes?
I don't see the sort of grassroots support for these MPs that would allow them to beat a new Labour/Tory MP.

I mean, what is this group even for? Are they just trying to replace the DUP as a 'kingmaker' bloc?
Because people love the DUP and propping up a Tory government worked so well for the LibDems...
UKIP are effectively running the country without a single sitting MP. It's all about momentum. If this group can start to pick up a decent share of the vote, you can bet the Tories and Labour will start to pivot back to the centre again.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Cross posted from the politics thread, but they're shy Tories. Also yes, absolutely no grassroots support. And no declaration of their backing 🤔🤔🤔

Nice of the centrist brain party to set out their Austerity was good actually stall early just so we know

EDIT: oh, and the sexual abusers welcome stall! But oh, best female MP ratio in history, yessss queen

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017
They stand for their own career. They know they won't be reelected soon, but in 10 years, they will be able to use the "we were in the anti Brexit party, we tried to stop it" card and aim for the top. That's why their plan involves propping the Tories in the short term.
Career over country.

KDR_11k

Nov 10, 2017

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
In his letter he does mention the impact on the "British and European defence industry". Not sure why he's so concered about the former, after next month and a likely no deal scenario, the British defense industry will be free to sell to all the dictators in the world, free of pesky European oversight.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
With the Independent Group... What I’m curious about, and sorry if it has been been answered;

Are they running the group in total isolation? I wonder if they have an admin, social media person, PR etc.

I find the image of the MPs trying to share the duties that were once sorted out by their staff rather amusing.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
She’s 100% right.
Feel abit jealous of Scotland for having a competent leader.
The Sinn Fein leader was doing the rounds of British media the other day, and even she sounds sensible compared to Corbyn and May. I suppose it's the benefit of not having to defend a bizarre position with all kinds of dodgy logic, but it still felt a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.