• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Tories would not have been forced to compromise with the DUP and would probably have put a frontier in the Irish sea, and then May's deal would have passed earlier this year and that would have been it?
The EU has also some say in all of that and a hard frontier was never a option for the EU since they dont want to hurt the good friday treaty.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
First image leaked of Theresa May's long-delayed Plan B...

skynews-black-hole_4634863.jpg

Incorrect.

A key difference is that that image is actually impressive

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sequencing for today:

• PM presents to EU27
  • PM leaves room
  • EU27 debate at dinner. June, Dec, or March 2020 extension & conditions.
  • Tusk asks PM if it's acceptable, she agrees.
  • Tim Barrow writes confirming new date - becomes EU Council decision & EU Law
  • Statutory Instrument laid - changes UK law exit date, no vote necessary

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sequencing for today:

• PM presents to EU27
  • PM leaves room

Who presents the SI? Presumably someone that isn't going to do any fuckery.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Sequencing for today:

• PM presents to EU27
  • PM leaves room

Love the inference that whatever conditions Tusk proposes, May immediately agrees.

"Show us your dance moves again Theresa"

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If the WA eventually gets through, I hope someone adds up all the money that has been wasted on no deal planning, that was lost due to dragging out uncertainty, etc etc. Because what was the point of anything if they end up voting the same thing they could have approved back in November through?

I'm not blaming the EU in any of this, because May is still telling them she will get the deal through as is.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a scenario where the hard Brexiteers win. May steps aside, they put Boris on the throne with a knife to his throat and make him deliver the hard Brexit he never really believed in. The ERG essentially become the Tory party. Brexit is delivered. Then what? As with any single-issue party, they have nothing else to offer. No domestic agenda, no policies beyond Brexit.

Imagine a fucking world where we have to turn our attention to Secretary for Education Mark Francois or Secretary for Health Jacob Rees-Mogg and ask them what their programme for the next 5 years looks like. These charlatans have nothing to offer beyond shouty, untruthful or absurd talking head segments about a single matter they are willfully ignorant about.
well then people may elect some other party after the term is over.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
well then people may elect some other party after the term is over.
I'm pretty sure I heard unattributed quotes from Tory MPs months ago saying they'd quit the party if Boris or Rees-Mogg became leader, so it's possible their ascension would lead to a GE because it'd immediately become a minority government. Of course, these could have been quotes from the TIGgers, but I'm pretty sure they're not the only ones who loathe those two.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm pretty sure I heard unattributed quotes from Tory MPs months ago saying they'd quit the party if Boris or Rees-Mogg became leader, so it's possible their ascension would lead to a GE because it'd immediately become a minority government. Of course, these could have been quotes from the TIGgers, but I'm pretty sure they're not the only ones who loathe those two.
Well, again, the DUP may have something to say about Boris or Rees-Mogg being in charge after doing them dirty, leading to a similar result.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I really am sick of this self-pitying rubbish from the Government. 'Oh we could have solved it if only Parliament let us' They've known for ages what Parliament would agree to and ignored them constantly regardless. They've done nothing to try to convince Parliament of the merits of the deal, only threatened and attacked them.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone knows his shtick which kinda nullifies it anyway. In a roundabout way can we stay in and stick it to the French :p

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel even with a long delay to December we will still be at this point. Must be a people's vote at some point hopefully with remain on the ballot or this nonsense can't continue, revoke article 50. I don't think people can take much more of this, doesn't mean you should get on with it, that's doing a bad thing for no good reason.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how much the pressure is doing, but you've got to imagine things would be worse off without people putting pressure on the UK to commit to a direction already.
I would say pressure has done next to nothing, UK Parliament has pretty much ignored what the EU has said publicly, has assumed an extension will be granted (either by some misplaced sense of pride or information they're getting) and doesn't think it will be faced with a no-deal cliffhanger. Now that doesn't mean pressure shouldn't be applied but I'm not sure the other leaders are really willing to send a hard message to the UK, France and Austria seem to be the hardliners.

And the whole "renaissance" bit just threw me off

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
She could say no to a long extension, EU don't offer anything else, MV4 happens. Is she that crazy?
When? The timeline would be nuts. They'd have to approve MV4, get it through lords and get at least a technical extension from the EU in less than two days to avoid accidentally crashing out.

I don't think she's anything close to that crazy. So long as the 'flextension' is part of the offer, she isn't going to try this nutso approach.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except the UK's bluff has also been called - after two years of "No Deal is better than a Bad Deal", it turns out only a hardcore of mental MPs actually want to go through with it (surprise, surprise).

Totally agree! No deal is unworkable and unsafe. Another way forward will eventually be found, and extensions will continue to facilitate that.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IDS going in about no deal is best deal again. Dude wants to see loads more people die I guess. Dude must be over the thrill of the people he had a hand in killing due to his sick/disabled benefit changes

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
The Taoiseach (Irish prime minister), Leo Varadkar, has suggested that the UK would be able to have a say in trade deals if it forms a customs union with the EU.

"I believe as the EU having the UK in a customs union means we could get the best deals for all of us," he said.

"If the UK were to decide to stay in a customs union, we would be able to develop something 'sui generis' so that they would have a say around things in terms of future trade deals, and a level playing field around labour rights and environmental rights."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47885014

"I know one thing that I would like to be considered, and I know it is under consideration, is the possibly of a customs union being formed between the UK and the EU," Mr Varadkar told reporters on the doorstep of a summit in Brussels.

"Ultimately ... in a world of big blocs its in the interests of the UK to be part of one of those blocs. It's also in our interest to have the UK in our bloc.

"I think we'd be generous in negotiating that, understanding that the UK couldn't be a silent partner in such an arrangement, it would have to have a say in decisions being made."

Labour has said it wants to join a customs union with the EU to soften the impact of Brexit, but that the UK should have a say in any trade deals.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ish-pm-leo-varadkar-trade-deals-a8864016.html

Status
Not open for further replies.