• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
They're trying for a general election first, second referendum with remain as an option if they can't get that, as agreed by the Labour membership. Another referendum currently looks scarily like tossing a coin.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
It's so disappointing, with the right labour leader, a second referendum would almost be a lock at this point.

If Labour were pushing for a second referendum for the last year, the Tories likely woulnd't be in quite as grim of a place right now. Also, Labour would be in the doldrums, because polls show the that public do not want a second referendum.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
If Labour were pushing for a second referendum for the last year, the Tories likely woulnd't be in quite as grim of a place right now. Also, Labour would be in the doldrums, because polls show the that public do not want a second referendum.

Isn't that... kind of the opposite of what polls show?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Isn't that... kind of the opposite of what polls show?
The polls only show us how things look given the positions of the parties in this world. Not saying that I think Labour would be killing it and remain would be favored had they not spent a year downplaying it, but you've got to imagine the polls would be different if the party had a completely different position for 12 months.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The Grieve amendment means it will be soft brexit folks. There is not a majority to cancel Brexit. But Mps will argue that a Norway deal is still Brexit and there is a majority for that

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
The 2nd referendum wouldn't happen because the people want it. It would happen due to parliamentary deadlock.

BeerMan

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I honestly think that currently, there's more chance of a GE than another ref.

I don't know about that. According to Guardian even Corbyn and his inner circle think a ref is more likely than a GE now. Apparently the numbers aren't quite there to force another GE. And its assumed trying to force a GE is more likely to fail than pass.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
BBC debate scrapped, government loses 3 votes and found in contempt, Farage quits UKIP - amazing day!

giphy.gif

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It is almost like the Gov has given up. Anyone getting that impression? And are now just saying to parliament. You sort it out

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's what we said last time too.

Not a guarantee by a long shot but the people that didn't vote or couldn't vote at the time, people who changed their minds, I like to think that would swing towards remain. I wonder if they would let British people who live outside the UK in the rest of the EU a vote next time.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think the Gov wants to be defeated. In the end that's the best ending story for them, they don't want their own deal, for which any bad impacts would be blamed on them. Leaving because parliament didn't let them do their thing is assuming the role of the victim, so that in the end they can always say their deal would have been better.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what are we guessing is in the legal report that they desperately don't want us to see?

Brexit is terrible in every way, we will never have the same stature, power in the world as we do within the EU, losing respect, simple cooperation with allies for no gain etc. Big stick meet little stick.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the Gov wants to be defeated. In the end that's the best ending story for them, they don't want their own deal, for which any bad impacts would be blamed on them. Leaving because parliament didn't let them do their thing is assuming the role of the victim, so that in the end they can always say their deal would have been better.

Yeah, same thing with Boris, Mogg, Gov. It would have been hard but amazing in the end if we took the chance but parliament wasn't willing to take leap into the fields of wheat, we will never know how greater great Britain could have been. /puke

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that people in his own party are just as sick of his shit as everyone else. Between that, Rees-Mogg's takeover plan failing because he's got no friends AND May being a walking disaster they really are a pathetic lot.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
She's a waste of space, like most of the BBC seems to be on Brexit.

With regard to the Brexit legal advice, is the attorney general known for being a Brexiter? I'm wondering if it could have coloured his language (see vassal state etc).

Edit - Yes, apparently he is.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Well, this is interesting Laura Kussenberg was told that May wanted the Grieve amendment all along, as no calls from whip over the amendment, yet constant calls over contempt vote

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is interesting Laura Kussenberg was told that May wanted the Grieve amendment all along, as no calls from whip over the amendment, yet constant calls over contempt vote

Well the Grieve amendment boxes in the Hard Brexit ERG since it gives parliament a say in what happens going forward if the vote is lost.

If there really is no other deal to be made I can see a referendum between May's deal and Remain. The ERG would back May over staying so as far as getting her deal through it was good for her. But also good for avoiding a No Deal Brexit.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
That just sounds like they are pretending to be in control of the situation, the government had to concentrate on battles they think they can win. Parliament is not with her on Brexit, even May must realise that by now.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
The amendment only matters is May is to renegotiate the deal with the EU. If the deal is final there is nothing for Parliament to decide. The true devilishness of it though is that parliament can turn around and say that if May can't bring back a deal Brexit is cancelled.

Oct 25, 2017
Era challenge: try watching this edition of Hardtalk with Owen Paterson for more than five minutes without feeling like hitting your head against a wall. To be fair to the interviewer, he does a decent job of refuting the usual ERG bullshit spouted:

HARDtalk with Owen Paterson

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
If taking power from May and giving it to parliament is a good thing for May, I think that just underlines how fucking useless this government has been.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Very curious to see the legal advice "We need to start hiring a bunch more of everything to keep things working, we also need to stock pile all the things, and as a side note we need to make it so all universities do nothing but train lawyers for the next decade, because we will need every single lawyer we can get our hands on since if we carry forward we are going to get sued into oblivion by every company and or country that has ever invested in us."

Tomorrow's papers are brutal on May.

Surprised they didn't just went with the obvious "Mayday".

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I think from the tone of May's speech last night, she's gone next week if there's a sizable loss. It was very much a setting the history straight speech rather than anything else.

If she goes then I'm curious to know if they will replace her with a Remainer, a Leaver or somebody 'middle of the road'.

Garfield

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Morgan and Chipripati on radio this morning

Definitely no further referendum, but now when vote fails we will be directing Gov to do a Norway type deal, which still honours the Brexit vote

Morgan went on to say you can still control immigration through Norway model, Chipripati said you can still control trade deals using Norway model

Status
Not open for further replies.