• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What would the Tories and Labour even campaign on in a GE with regard to Brexit?

My cake is better than their cake.

A remain stance? 2nd Ref? Revoke Article 50? Plough ahead, will of the people?

Would the Tories get a new leader?

Would Labour get a new leader?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
What would the Tories and Labour even campaign on in a GE with regard to Brexit?

My cake is better than their cake.

A remain stance? 2nd Ref? Revoke Article 50? Plough ahead, will of the people?

Would the Tories get a new leader?

Would Labour get a new leader?

Tories with May-give me a stronger mandate for my deal that respects the will of the people and Brexit.

Labour would definitely be about cake until shit hits the party fan and another referendum comes about.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Extend it for what though guys? Renegotiate? Not going to happen. GE not going to happen. New Ref unlikely to happen

So we extend to do........

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
So now Parliament isn't even voting on the withdrawal agreement, just their magic version of it.

Don't think the EU will be too impressed.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They would have to sell an extension to the EU with a good reason and yeah, I doubt they are going to come up with one that means anything but more time for........can't say.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
fucking love how they ignore the actual mechanisms of the situation and carry on making up their own, like they'd have precedent.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I really don't get this??

Basically the Government accepted an amendment to the withdrawal agreement that rewrites the agreement to give Parliament a veto on the backstop.

The EU aren't going to accept this at all. They'll argue (rightly) that Parliament hasn't passed the withdrawal agreement.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It's just meaningless window dressing to get the DUP on board with supporting the government on other votes, and make the EU out to be the bad guys if May's deal miraculously passes and suddenly the EU say no.
"Well we tried but the EU broke their promise"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So now Parliament isn't even voting on the withdrawal agreement, just their magic version of it.

Don't think the EU will be too impressed.

Yeah read this earlier.

Not sure what they're thinking because there's no way the EU accepts that.

Imagine the DUP changing NI laws next year and the transition is over within 30 days.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
So they just passed something that completely contradicts what the withdrawal agreement is about, and something that has been extremely exhaustively discussed as being a no go, yeah that EU extension seems ever more likely.

An extension has to happen, so I'm happy if he acknowledges the need for the timetable to extend regardless of what his plan is.

If he starts talking about how many unicorns he'll demand in re-negotiations though...

tenor.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The government has awarded a number of leading global consultancy firms with Brexit-related contracts worth £75m, it has emerged.
Sky News reports that the deals were brokered in April and had not been widely announced, with details of the plans discretely published on a government website just before Christmas, eight months later.
In contrast to a certain start-up ferry company, all of the companies involved are well-known – including Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, Bain, McKinsey and Boston Consulting.
Each company received a contract for "the supply of Cabinet Office consultancy support for EU Exit" worth between £5m and £10m, according to the report.

They don't actually get this money if nothing happens right?

We must be minus billions. Even if the bus was true, it wasn't we are ready to piss away billions on this shit that could be better spent elsewhere.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Pesky International agreements.
You would think politicians would have a basic understanding of how serious they are, is Westminster going to throw a fit every time we make a trade deal.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

We must be minus billions. Even if the bus was true, it wasn't we are ready to piss away billions on this shit that could be better spent elsewhere.
What are the odds that all of those firms all somehow have ties to the Tories?

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Basically the Government accepted an amendment to the withdrawal agreement that rewrites the agreement to give Parliament a veto on the backstop.

The EU aren't going to accept this at all. They'll argue (rightly) that Parliament hasn't passed the withdrawal agreement.

Sorry, yeah, I get what the amendment does, I just can't for the life of me work out why the government accepted it?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017

They've already had money. The contracts expire in April this year with options to renew.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

You think companies like Deloitte, Accenture, PwC and Bain would negotiate a contract where there's a risk of them not getting paid?

They'll have had those millions up front, and they probably get double if we leave and triple if we don't.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very pessimistic on this, I know, but I think the no deal is inevitable at this point, and when the world doesn't come to screeching halt in the first few days following Brexit, we'll be bombarded with a series of stories saying "See, we told you it was no big deal." Of course, the ramifications of a lot of these things won't be felt in the first few days.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
[

Is this the idiot that was on the front page of the Daily Mail today?

Was going to pop in earlier and say I had a small tinge of respect* for them naming and shaming one of the racist loons today.

*obviously not ignoring that their previous rhetoric was instrumental in enabling shit like this

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I love the fact that its basically impossible for Brexiteer's and the Tory Party Leadership to explain why allowing parliament to vote on things is a bad thing and a mistake.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

She accused the prime minister of continuing to "waste time" and said it was disappointing it had taken other parties at Westminster so long to start calling for an alternative to the government's withdrawal agreement.

"We told Theresa May to stop wasting time last November, she is still not listening and she is going to put a plan to Parliament that is dead," she said.

👏

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[

Is this the idiot that was on the front page of the Daily Mail today?

Was going to pop in earlier and say I had a small tinge of respect* for them naming and shaming one of the racist loons today.

*obviously not ignoring that their previous rhetoric was instrumental in enabling shit like this
Yep. Imagine putting gaffer tape over your mouth when you have a beard.... it sums it up

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Because certain sections of the media want MPs to be scared of Brexiters. It's not co-incidence that many have alluded to what happened to Jo Cox.

It's fucking disgusting.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that all of those firms all somehow have ties to the Tories?
These firms are pretty much politically neutral. At least one came out as against leaving before the referendum.

You think companies like Deloitte, Accenture, PwC and Bain would negotiate a contract where there's a risk of them not getting paid?

They'll have had those millions up front, and they probably get double if we leave and triple if we don't.
No, that's not how it works at all. They bill for work done, they'll be paid for the preparation stuff being done now but it's never up front

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Because certain sections of the media want MPs to be scared of Brexiters. It's not co-incidence that many have alluded to what happened to Jo Cox.

It's fucking disgusting.

I disagree.

Fully in support of exposing the racist morons harassing MP's - and the subsequent political affilitiations they have.

Edit: I should add that this doesn't mean I want them popping up on panels or anything.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
No, that's not how it works at all. They bill for work done, they'll be paid for the preparation stuff being done now but it's never up front
Not entirely true. If they were smart they would have known that the government are desperate and sold them a block allocation of time ahead of when it was necessary.

We've done the same thing with clients when approaching busier parts of the year. Reserve our hours now, or risk not getting us at all.

Then you've not been paying attention. The implicit threat is clear. Go against the will of the people, risk the consequences.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely true. If they were smart they would have known that the government are desperate and sold them a block allocation of time ahead of when it was necessary.

We've done the same thing with clients when approaching busier parts of the year. Reserve our hours now, or risk not getting us at all.

Then you've not been paying attention. The implicit threat is clear. Go against the will of the people, risk the consequences.

I'm not sure we're coming at this from the same angle.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not talking about that fuckwit, or others that have been identified over the last few days. I'm talking about the constant media coverage since the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.