• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be fair both Corbyn and May are both scraping the bottom of the barrel in votes. Neither are popular or are offering anything different from the opposition on Brexit. This new party will possibly just give us another decade of Tory rule just like it did with Thatcher and the SDP/Labour split following Michael Foots election loss.

As it stands I don't think it will have the same impact, none of these people are Roy Jenkins calibre.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
^ lol perhaps you should have figured which direction you throwing that grenade before pulling the pin?

As it stands I don't think it will have the same impact, none of these people are Roy Jenkins calibre.

True none of them of any character, Chukka is just a red Tory and lets be honest it's way too late in the day for setting up a new party, should have just stuck it out with Labour.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think Labour has really failed Brexit. I agree with their views on most other subjects, and I think the country would be better off with a Labour government, but that's inside the EU. Any party that wants to end freedom of movement is inherently pandering to xenophobia (as there's no benefit to losing the close relationship with the EU, and migration could be controlled with it still in place) and thus Labour has failed to be the inclusive and progressive party it wants to be portrayed as. For me that trumps all the other promises they may make, and I would not vote for them. I don't think these MP's are helping by leaving the party however, they were move helpful as influencers within the party to get the Brexit policy fixed.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
To be fair both Corbyn and May are both scraping the bottom of the barrel in votes. Neither are popular or are offering anything different from the opposition on Brexit. This new party will possibly just give us another decade of Tory rule just like it did with Thatcher and the SDP/Labour split following Michael Foots election loss.
I'm certainly not predicting specifically good outcomes when I say this, but there's no way the Tories go unpunished in the next ten years for the Brexit mess. This is just the start of a big shift to the political landscape in the UK I would wager. Where itll end up is anyone's guess but the Tories as we know them holding on to power as the UK suffers the ill effects of Brexit seems the easiest option to bet against.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they disproves what I said. Are you saying he was projected to lose and did, and that proves the public want him as leader?
Everyone lost if you want to play that game, that's a what a hung parliament is. It's why Brexit is stuck in the mud because there isn't enough voices in any one camp to answer a binary question.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Everyone lost if you want to play that game, that's a what a hung parliament is. It's why Brexit is stuck in the mud because there isn't enough voices in any one camp to answer a binary question.
That and Britain is leaderless. Neither May nor Corbyn can get their party or people on board with their ideas. And those are ideas they designed to be popular. Imagine either of them trying to sell scrapping the whole thing.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
They should've called their group the Aldmeri Dominion.
vVkoPPU.gif

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Sky News reporting that Honda is preparing to shutter its Swindon plant with the loss of 3,500 jobs.

More workers thrown on the sacrificial pile for blue passports it seems...

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sky News reporting that Honda is preparing to shutter its Swindon plant with the loss of 3,500 jobs.

More workers thrown on the sacrificial pile for blue passports it seems...
I'm sure it will be followed by a chorus of "It would have happened without Brexit / Project fear" from the right wing mentalists.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:
- Britain is a great country
- Government should keep people safe
- "Not every problem in the world is created by the West"
- Work with other countries to solve shared problems
- Good public services come from strong economy
- Government is custodian of money from the public
- "Believe in the innate creativity of individuals"
- Government should remove barriers
- Strong democratic institutions of press, police, etc
Shat the Fuck is that?
Not even a hint at Brexit being shit.

Last weeks remainiacs was quite sobering. There really is no Reversing course on Brexit.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Independent Group's values according to Gavin Shuker:
- Britain is a great country
- Government should keep people safe
- "Not every problem in the world is created by the West"
- Work with other countries to solve shared problems
- Good public services come from strong economy
- Government is custodian of money from the public
- "Believe in the innate creativity of individuals"
- Government should remove barriers
- Strong democratic institutions of press, police, etc
Yet you will have people cheering them regardless of the fact they are so far a private company, looking for outside investment, acting like a political party with no actual policies.

All while ignoring the main issue people are cheering them on for leaving Labour for.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
So, it's a group of people who were already unhappy in Labour for reasons well-publicized. Apparently no surprise defections from Team Red to shock observers, and no Conservatives willing to make the jump with them as yet. So now the story is about Labour and not a bigger story about a "new centrism".

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is that 3500 jobs from Honda or including suppliers etc? Or could the number be much higher once that is factored in?

I suppose we need to see if they are planning to move production elsewhere in the EU - or its possible the EU/JPN FTA means they can ship from Japan economically enough to not need local production?

Doesn't matter anyway - those that voted leave will put their fingers in their ears because as we've learned, people don't like admitting they're wrong, they want an easy way to save face.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing this does is give TM another attack vector to distract from kicking the can further down the road at PMQ

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Well that new party gig is going about as well as everyone had predicted... (¬‿¬)

Slightly offtopic, but once the explosions stop around the beginning of April, what do you all think is better, pay the ~9 GBP per NHL prescription and month using cold hard cash (GBP may or may not be worthless), or rely on "it's not really money lol" prepaid certificates? Let's be honest: it's unknown if those are honoured in an emergency situation, and they can't be changed back to real money, but hey, a prescription flatrate in case of unforeseen events seems nice, especially if there's uncertainty about fees and service levels?
(A hundred quid for a year seems OK if you have a prescription anyway... )

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's their only factory in the EU, if they announce a new factory on the continent then I'd like to see Boris or Mogg explain that one away.
They won't, they'll produce in Japan. Honda doesn't sell that well in Europe. Brexit simply destroys any profitability the plant had in those circumstances.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019

Yep, and i was one of those leave voters in Swindon. I'm trying my best to convince people that changing their mind is fine but people are just blinkered. People even today arguing the toss and now i'm being sent abuse on facebook for it.

The MP's still lying to us are to blame not the people at the time of voting but anyone still advocating for leave is now just deluded in my opinion. Will hurt this town pretty badly.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah but but diesel engines and Japan FTA means this would happen anyway, something something, PrOjeCt fEaR!!
In the Japanese car industries case in the long term I expect all EU plants to close, as there's no incentive to manufacture locally now with the new FTA. To be honest I'm really suprised they signed up to it as its going to cost a lot of automotive industry jobs going forward, as it now makes no sense not to consolidate production in Japan. Why have lots of smaller plants producing models in Europe when you can have the efficiencies of scale by having the whole supply chain in one location?

Last edited:

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
In the Japanese car industries case in the long term I expect all EU plants to close, as there's no incentive to manufacture locally now with the new FTA. To be honest I'm really suprised they signed up to it as its going to cost a lot of automotive industry jobs going forward, as it now makes no sense not to consolidate production in Japan. Why have lots of smaller plants producing models in Europe when you can have the efficiencies of scale by having the whole supply chain in one location?

You may be right and that is logical but, i am pretty sure that brexit is the straw that broke the camels back. If this wasn't happening then i would guess the plant wouldn't have shut or wouldn't have shut until much later.

It's quite logical to think that if any company is looking to make changes then any UK based location is suddenly low hanging fruit due to brexit, especially if the UK isn't the largest market you sell to.

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
Yep, and i was one of those leave voters in Swindon. I'm trying my best to convince people that changing their mind is fine but people are just blinkered. People even today arguing the toss and now i'm being sent abuse on facebook for it.

The MP's still lying to us are to blame not the people at the time of voting but anyone still advocating for leave is now just deluded in my opinion. Will hurt this town pretty badly.

Of course people are blinkered. Thats kinda the problem with British culture. Its a culture of ignorance and extremes. Culture of extreme media partisanship.

UK is the only major country in the world where all three of the biggest read news sources are tabloids. The culture of Britain is to be ignorant and sensational. This is nothing new. Expecting anything else is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Why produce in Japan with an aging populace and not enough young engineers?
they could produce cheaper in Poland and EXPORT to Japan.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I can see the value in shipping cars that don't sell in huge amounts, but surely the cost of shipping the big sellers makes a local factory worthwhile.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK

You don't have to pay to ship the cars across the world if they've produced in the market you're selling to. If you're doing high volumes it doesn't make sense to stick that many cars on boats.

However, Honda doesn't sell well in Europe, with fairly small sales figures it's not too surprising they're closing the factory down.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
American here: can anyone explain to me the thought process behind The Independent Group? Reading their ideology, they don't seem that different than what I understand as the LibDems's ideology? Especially in regards to Brexit? I'm also a little confused at why you'd start another centrist party in a FPTP system?

Status
Not open for further replies.