• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When you consider that ~60 Tory MPs recently voted against the government to make a point this probably isn't what they hoped for.

May will not budge off her deal for anyone. We are rapidly approaching decision time because there's nothing else.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I would buy the argument for "the poor Leave voters who got deceived" if the majority of them were still not insisting on their original vote, many of them clamouring for No Deal even. These are all adults and at some point individual responsibility kicks in. The truth of the matter is that they haven't changed their mind because no rational argument will cure their xenophobia and superiority complex over the rest of Europe.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I would buy the argument for "the poor Leave voters who got deceived" if the majority of them were still not insisting on their original vote, many of them clamouring for No Deal even. These are all adults and at some point individual responsibility kicks in. The truth of the matter is that they haven't changed their mind because no rational argument will cure their xenophobia and superiority complex over the rest of Europe.

And this i entirely agree with. People that after all this time still advocate leaving, especially with no deal are idiotic and completely brainwashed. But i would hope people could see the distinction between myself who saw the light ages ago and someone spouting "letsgoWTO!!" like an indoctrinated ISIS convert.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
None of us in the @remainernow community (ex leavers) are absolving ourselves of the blame. But equally, our choices are based on information we are given by people that we expect to know more than us.

In my case, i grew up in a xenophobic and anti eu household and the poison fed to me from a very young age. Now the reason this poison existed in the first place lays squarely at the door of the media and politicians peddling this crap over decades.

Yes i could have made a better choice but at the time i was being told in simplistic terms how easy it would be. I didn't understand complex trade issues or that the WTO even existed along with many other issues i now know about.

This issue was simply way way too massive for the average joe to even begin to comprehend, and even now with myself knowing shitloads about all areas to do with brexit, i'm still nowhere near an expert in anything so the average person certainly won't be either.

They should just revoke A50 and be done with it.

I think it's admirable that you have realized that the Leave vote was wrong, but I just have a small issue with the bolded because I see it back in the US as well, with people claiming that racism/xenophobia was fed to them at home and that media is at fault. Anti-EU sentiments being the result of media and politicians I can totally understand, but racism and xenophobia isn't learned through the media or politicians. That's simply a morality issue. People don't watch conservative media and "learn" to hate minorities, they hate minorities and then watch conservative media that supports, inflames, and justifies that hatred.

People need to accept if their family or even themselves have racist and xenophobic beliefs and confront them, instead of blaming them on the amorphous media and politicians as a way to skirt blame and responsibility. Without that there's not really going to be change regarding these kinds of beliefs.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Morality is 100% learned behaviour. The reason you end up having pockets of terrible people is exactly because people pick up that behaviour from their families and peers. They don't know any better.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Morality is 100% learned behaviour. The reason you end up having pockets of terrible people is exactly because people pick up that behaviour from their families and peers. They don't know any better.
I grew up with grandparents who were racist and multiple uncles who were racist, who had no compunction to make racist statements right in front of me. I didn't just adopt those beliefs. I knew exactly when statements being made were racist and pointed them out as that. Plenty of people do this. Plenty of people know better.

Again, people need to stop rejecting responsibility. If someone tells you a certain type of people is always this way or just straight out bad in some way, and you just fall into line with that, that's on you as much as it is the person saying it.

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I grew up with grandparents who were racist and multiple uncles who were racist, who had no compunction to make racist statements right in front of me. I didn't just adopt those beliefs. I knew exactly when statements being made were racist and pointed them out as that. Plenty of people do this. Plenty of people know better.

Again, people need to stop rejecting responsibility. If someone tells you a certain type of people is always this way or just straight out bad in some way, and you just fall into line with that, that's on you as much as it is the person saying it.

I admit I had xenophobic tendencies which has been learned from the environment I grew up in. It was normal. But I must say, it's like I've had an epiphany and can see how stupid being irrationally scared of the other is. It's like a built in fear or excuse you fall back on just to deflect blame or to make yourself feel superior and when you realise you are afflicted with it it's quite eye opening. In fact it's damn pathetic.

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
Leave was a racist bigoted campaign lead by racist bigots. That is a fact. Everyone, absolutely fucking everyone in this country knew this. Everyone knows what Nigel and Boris are about, its not a secret. Those two haven't shut up for 1 minute of their life.

I don't buy they were mislead. I mean, obviously on many things they were. But the core of what leave was about, was not a secret. The media is openly racist, bigoted, and sensational. No one forces you to read the Daily Mail or the Sun. You don't get to bury your head in hate papers than blame them when you lose your jobs.

If you voted leave, this is on you. You sided with an openly ugly campaign of hatred and racism. Not saying this to anyone in this thread. Britain is a conservative, deprived, working class nation. And we are also a bigoted racist nation, that is proudly ignorant. Brexit is 100% a by product of the backwards culture of the country.

Nov 20, 2017
As someone who actually campaigned in the referendum, I can attest to leave voters being by and large one or a mix of: thick, racist, uneducated, pig headed, willfully ignorant and in a tiny sliver of cases hopelessly naive.

However I do not want anyone to suffer brexit. Even in its most timid form it is going to be the ruin of many a livelihood, and it will affect the children and grandchildren of voters more than those who cast the vote.

The ones who really deserve to suffer are those who went from remain to brexit because it became politically convenient to do so.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
DnoC7HrW4AMied-.jpg
https://twitter.com/timbhison/status/1043149559839555584

:D

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about how much blame should be assigned to voters for a decision like Brexit has me quickly devolving into thought spirals about the nature of free will. However, from a pragmatic perspective, the environments within which we exist massively affect the kind of persons we are. It's why the welfare state exists.

A majority people voted leave at the previous referendum, but blaming voters isn't going to change that or make it any easier to stop the catastrophe that is Brexit. The truth is, sources of information that they trusted did lie to them on an unbelievable level. I also think David Cameron is massively to blame, because it meant that when people did start saying how bad Brexit would be, a natural response would be surely if it's that bad, it wouldn't have been put up to a vote. I voted remain, but I have very limited knowledge about the complex interactions and inter-dependencies of EU member states, at the time even less so. I thought that Brexit was overall worse than Remain, but never conceived it could possibly be this bad because I never would have imagined that such a thing would have been put to a referendum if that was the case. Furthermore, 'Project Fear' at the time was just 'Project Understatement', because even Remainers massively underestimated how important the UKs relationship to the EU was.

The one place where 'blame' is useful is when it comes to identifying what got us into this mess, reflecting on that, and then digging ourselves out of it. MPs who actively lied need to be held accountable for a start.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Also on the food thing.

Will Britain by applying a tarriff to Irish Beef? Doesn't that require a hard border? Or are products arriving from Ireland not subject to these tarriffs?

Another incoherent Brexit policy.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about how much blame should be assigned to voters for a decision like Brexit has me quickly devolving into thought spirals about the nature of free will. However, from a pragmatic perspective, the environments within which we exist massively affect the kind of persons we are. It's why the welfare state exists.

A majority people voted leave at the previous referendum, but blaming voters isn't going to change that or make it any easier to stop the catastrophe that is Brexit. The truth is, sources of information that they trusted did lie to them on an unbelievable level. I also think David Cameron is massively to blame, because it meant that when people did start saying how bad Brexit would be, a natural response would be surely if it's that bad, it wouldn't have been put up to a vote. I voted remain, but I have very limited knowledge about the complex interactions and inter-dependencies of EU member states, at the time even less so. I thought that Brexit was overall worse than Remain, but never conceived it could possibly be this bad because I never would have imagined that such a thing would have been put to a referendum if that was the case. Furthermore, 'Project Fear' at the time was just 'Project Understatement', because even Remainers massively underestimated how important the UKs relationship to the EU was.

The one place where 'blame' is useful is when it comes to identifying what got us into this mess, reflecting on that, and then digging ourselves out of it. MPs who actively lied need to be held accountable for a start.

If I'm honest, the reason I voted remain was because when I weighed up the two options I felt like me and my family would be better off in the EU. It was a very selfish vote on my part, and I had very little reason to consider the wider consequences of there being a vote in the first place.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Euronews commissioned Populus to do an EU wide poll on Brexit, and as per Independent:
A survey by Populus found that 28 per cent of both French and Italian people believe the UK has already left the bloc. Meanwhile, 12 per cent of Germans also believe Britain departed some time ago, and two per cent of British people themselves make the same mistake.
(...)
Most respondents to the survey believed that Brexit will do more harm than good, especially when thinking about its effect on the UK – 59 per cent of people in Germany think it will be harmful for Britain, 41 per cent in France, and 38 per cent in Italy. Just 34 per cent of people in the UK believe the same thing.
I... I just... hrm...

What's the name of that yellow duck pokemon again. The one that constantly has a headache. I think I'm gonna make it my spirit animal.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Meanwhile, Euronews commissioned Populus to do an EU wide poll on Brexit, and as per Independent:

I... I just... hrm...

What's the name of that yellow duck pokemon again. The one that constantly has a headache. I think I'm gonna make it my spirit animal.

We kind of have in a way, we only turn up to meetings to be humiliated, we don't go to the proper ones with the adults anymore.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like we have a new word... Brexodus!

THINGS.ARE.LOOKING.PRETTY.GOOD

LONDON (Reuters) - England's High Court on Tuesday gave Aviva, Britain's second largest insurer, approval to transfer around £9 billion in assets to a new Irish company just before the starting gun is fired on Brexit.

The move, timed for 2259 GMT on March 29, is part of a wider withdrawal of business and money by financial companies seeking to keep contracts and policies within the European Union even after Britain departs. Brexit formally takes effect at 2300 GMT on March 29.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-idUKKCN1Q81YW

Fiocca

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Not sure if this has been posted... but holy fuck, the state of these people.

Yep. Lying bastards. Said it would be easy, would improve things yet here we are now being told we could be paying loads extra for things by the same people. We really are in what feels like a banana republic. It's telling this isn't being called out on the mainstream channels except 4...

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
So, some Brexit/travel advice. I'm flying with my family to Hong Kong (my partner and I used to live there) on the 1st April. I've obviously got insurance with quite a hefty amount that I can claim through cancellation. I don't think it will be affected by Brexit but you never know, I've got a friend to watch my house in case looting kicks off big style (I'm joking, we watch each others' houses every time we go away).

Is there anything else I should/could do? We're only going for 10 days.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, some Brexit/travel advice. I'm flying with my family to Hong Kong (my partner and I used to live there) on the 1st April. I've obviously got insurance with quite a hefty amount that I can claim through cancellation. I don't think it will be affected by Brexit but you never know, I've got a friend to watch my house in case looting kicks off big style (I'm joking, we watch each others' houses every time we go away).

Is there anything else I should/could do? We're only going for 10 days.
As you are travelling outside of the EU, you don't need to do anything 'special'

Hrothgar

Nov 6, 2017
Since I suprisingly have never visited the UK yet, I've booked a flight for the last weekend before Brexit. My last chance to see a bit of the country before Children of Men/V for Vendetta becomes reality!!!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted... but holy fuck, the state of these people.

Is this from before the referendum and a pro remain speech /s

O_o

I suspect this is what they want, leading to asset stripping because companies, smaller land owners are screwed and the richest, biggest opportunists feed on them. It's basically a sell off for people that can afford it and losing more control, these politicians are complicit for crumbs or just idiots.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Lying bastards. Said it would be easy, would improve things yet here we are now being told we could be paying loads extra for things by the same people. We really are in what feels like a banana republic. It's telling this isn't being called out on the mainstream channels except 4...

Except there wont be any bananas!

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
As you are travelling outside of the EU, you don't need to do anything 'special'
What is the latest status with regards to flights anyway? Last I saw we'd worked out EU travel in the event of a no deal, but I don't know about the rest of the world (apparently most of the issues are to do with insurances / safety certification).

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the latest status with regards to flights anyway? Last I saw we'd worked out EU travel in the event of a no deal, but I don't know about the rest of the world (apparently most of the issues are to do with insurances / safety certification).
I believe there is an agreement in place for flights, driving is a different matter though.

In the event of a no deal you'll need an insurance green card, which could be problematic if you're already out there,.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Some of the Tory rebels actually went through with it? Shocking. I wonder if this movement will gain any momentum? If anything, a pipe dream would be the destruction of party politics, with a focus on candidates over party... Alternatively, a push for proportional representation over this broken two party FPTP bollocks.

Brexit is doing a number on both parties for sure.

T8SC

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Coming up to 1 month until the deadline date. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks so just catching up now.

I've cancelled my Porsche 911 order due to the surcharge, gonna get a British built Honda Civic Type-R inste.... DAMNIT.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Well PMQ will be fun now.

May has went from "Lol at the Labour party" to "Well we didn't lose as many MPs as you".

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Coming up to 1 month until the deadline date. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks so just catching up now.

I've cancelled my Porsche 911 order due to the surcharge, gonna get a British built Honda Civic Type-R inste.... DAMNIT.

McLaren, clearly!

Well PMQ will be fun now.

May has went from "Lol at the Labour party" to "Well we didn't lose as many MPs as you".

She'd be well advised to keep her mouth shut I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.