• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
The Labour party, sure. Emptying the Conservative party of a few might actually be a good thing, though, because it frees those MPs up from the whole party-over-country thing (or at least changes them over to a slightly more sane party), allowing them to vote against their former party more easily - and if it comes to it, that includes a vote of no confidence.
This has done the opposite though, where even the former Labour MPs won't vote no confidence

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Labour party, sure. Emptying the Conservative party of a few might actually be a good thing, though, because it frees those MPs up from the whole party-over-country thing (or at least changes them over to a slightly more sane party), allowing them to vote against their former party more easily - and if it comes to it, that includes a vote of no confidence.

Agreed, but I was also thinking of the party left behind, less of a support group for remaining people worried about no deal, and Soubry etc are no longer rebels but independent MPs she doesn't have to manage.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
New remaniacs is out and going off the description my expectation that they'd fawn over the centrist party was well founded

EDIT: I've just checked their Twitter and noticed they've been fawning for days already, so not exactly a wild take haha

Might be the push over the edge to drop them out of the podcast rotation
just started listening to this and the phrase "some of our favourite Tories" should be in no-one's vocabulary if you even aspire to progressive values
Honestly, looking purely through the prism of Brexit the new independent group cannot really be seen as a bad thing. Thusly I think it's perfectly reasonable to view it as positively as possible. Add to that the fact that it is totally screwing with the big parties I think it's fair game to cheer them on for now.
I've yet to see any positive positions from them, the only notable positions they've set out are

- the class system is good actually
- austerity was good actually

so forgive me for not wanting to cheer that on. And that's even ignoring the party using anti semetism as a weapon to wield being racist on television within 2 hours of their announcement. And us having no idea where their funding is coming from. That a party this flimsy, with the days they've had already, is getting uncritically fawned over has me really down, to be blunt.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Meanwhile the manufacturing sector in Germany contracted and inflation in the Eurozone is back to almost nothing so there's no way in hell we don't all enter a recession in March - right when I leave my job.

Yay.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

vY4a2g2.gif

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Excuse my American ignorance, but the fear of violence isn't from an imaginary EU army, but from NI militants, right?
Sure, but somewhat missing the point... who the fuck would deal with us on the world stage if we're not willing to stand by our commitments?

I swear these fucks still think its the 1700s and we're some sort of world power to be feared.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but somewhat missing the point... who the fuck would deal with us on the world stage if we're not willing to stand by our commitments?

I swear these fucks still think its the 1700s and we're some sort of world power to be feared.
Oh, there will always be people willing to deal with us. They'll just demand increasingly lopsided deals as we make ourselves less palatable as a partner.

Thanks, now I understand the context here.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Excuse my American ignorance, but the fear of violence isn't from an imaginary EU army, but from NI militants, right?
It's important to understand that Conservative leaders and milieus are infinitely more concerned about imaginary EU armies than a return to the troubles.

They never really cared about Northern Ireland. The region being deep in shit again would be a return to the natural state of things.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
just started listening to this and the phrase "some of our favourite Tories" should be in no-one's vocabulary if you even aspire to progressive values

I've yet to see any positive positions from them, the only notable positions they've set out are

- the class system is good actually
- austerity was good actually

so forgive me for not wanting to cheer that on. And that's even ignoring the party using anti semetism as a weapon to wield being racist on television within 2 hours of their announcement. And us having no idea where their funding is coming from. That a party this flimsy, with the days they've had already, is getting uncritically fawned over has me really down, to be blunt.
I'm not disagreeing with any of that, they are all to varying degrees terrible.
But not first and foremost brexit related.
Having a new group of MPs that can (and hopefully) will be even more vocally anti brexit and more importantly draw some media attention is a good thing.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The prominent Greek MEP, Stelios Koulouglou, told the Guardian:

Everyone in the [EU] negotiating team is completely fed up with May. They feel she doesn't have a clear plan, she changes constantly and instead of being serious, is playing cheap political games.

I didn't realise it was going so well.
I might have to order one of those Brexit freezers that are all the rage these days.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would the Irish border work because I presume the EU or the UK doesn't want to be the one to build it because you know how headlines will go, the UK is probably counting on the EU to do it even though it's the UK's fault. We don't want a border, well you have to, we won't build it, we won't either, so there. Is it going to be that pathetic from the UK?

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How would the Irish border work because I presume the EU or the UK doesn't want to be the one to build it because you know how headlines will go, the UK is probably counting on the EU to do it even though it's the UK's fault. We don't want a border, well you have to, we won't build it, we won't either, so there. Is it going to be that pathetic from the UK?
Ahhh, just a lick of paint on the old border buildings and it'll be fine.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Basically what they're betting is that the EU won't do anything to prevent the UK smuggling in huge amounts of goods via NI. The EU wouldn't stand for that, and obviously could implement custom checks on their side of the border no matter what the UK want to do. I don't think EIRE would blame the EU for this should that happen, as the EU has worked really closely with them to avoid custom checks.

It's crazy.

Imagine taking this kind of stance publically, while simultaneously going to other countries to make trade deals. What's to stop those other countries saying, hold on a minute, how can we trust you?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Why would the EU invade? They'll just instigate border checks in Ireland or tariffs in response to something like this.

And good luck holding onto any of their other trade partners if they do shit like this.
Britains are gonna destroy the economy of Ireland as well but this kind of blackmailing won't work. It will just Isolate the UK even further. Brexiteers have only Trump on their side and he will leave the White House eventually.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
There's something about Syriza MPs telling the UK to stop fucking around that makes me want to curl and crylaugh into sleep.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

I really need that clip.

Who needs a EU army when you can just use your economic dominance to force someone to return back to the table.

May will come begging for any deal she can get after two weeks of no deal.

There's something about Syriza MPs telling the UK to stop fucking around that makes me want to curl and crylaugh into sleep.
Yup. Hearing Tsipras urging May to stop playing games made be chuckle.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I should learn to drive a bus and fill it with people from the jungle in France, take the ferry to Ireland and drop them off at the boarder. The UK will be whistling a different tune after a few bus loads.

Also technically its not an Irish Boarder it's an English boarder on the island of Ireland. The Irish never wanted it nor did they build it.

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I should learn to drive a bus and fill it with people from the jungle in France, take the ferry to Ireland and drop them off at the boarder. The UK will be whistling a different tune after a few bus loads.

Also technically its not an Irish Boarder it's an English boarder on the island of Ireland. The Irish never wanted it nor did they build it.

This wouldn't work because Ireland is not part of Schengen area. You'd be stopped at the port before boarding in theory.

In other news I spied this on The Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-power-outs-emergency-planning-a8778421.html

Hmmm...Practice eating Dog food. Yum!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
May has convinced herself she's in a game of chicken that she can't lose.

In her mind, Either the EU blinks and caves on the backstop, meaning Parliament will pass her deal.
Or the EU doesn't blink and, faced with the prospect of no deal, Parliament blinks and in a panic passes her deal to avoid it.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

In her mind, Either the EU blinks and caves on the backstop, meaning Parliament will pass her deal.
Or the EU doesn't blink and, faced with the prospect of no deal, Parliament blinks and in a panic passes her deal to avoid it.
My money is on #2.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't work because Ireland is not part of Schengen area. You'd be stopped at the port before boarding in theory.

In other news I spied this on The Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-power-outs-emergency-planning-a8778421.html

Hmmm...Practice eating Dog food. Yum!
First world problems

Among the advice to be dished out on the course – set to include a combination of classroom and outdoor lessons – is that dog food is actually edible for human consumption in emergencies; and a candle and a ceramic plant pot can be turned into an effective makeshift heater.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I really need that clip.

Why would the EU invade? They'll just instigate border checks in Ireland or tariffs in response to something like this.

And good luck holding onto any of their other trade partners if they do shit like this.

Right, like here's how that process continues:
3) The UK tries to export to the EU after voiding the backstop.
4) EU blocks the goods in the ports, tells them to turn around.
5) UK says "you and what army"
6) US digs out the Suez playbook, tells the UK if they use any force whatsoever, the US will obliterate them in the Channel (or at least give cover for Spain/France/etc... to sink the goods in the Channel).
7) UK immediately acquiesces to any formerly agreed backstop.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

I still think her deal passes before or after the leave date.

The real chaos will begin when westminster realizes it signed up to follow EU law without a say during the transition.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
And of course he's a leaver.

^
So many people don't know/forgot/repress that the real negotiation between EU and UK will start after March 29. Westminster eating itself over the goddamn Withdrawal Agreement for two years straight gives so much confidence in the actual negotiations that will follow. Right?

I tried to explain that to someone earlier when they were complaining about the backstop. Completely blank look on their face. lol

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
And of course he's a leaver.

^
So many people don't know/forgot/repress that the real negotiation between EU and UK will start after March 29. Westminster eating itself over the goddamn Withdrawal Agreement for two years straight gives so much confidence in the actual negotiations that will follow. Right?

Right! The Guardian Brexitcast the other week also highlighted that a parliamentary majority is not just required for the 'meaningful vote' but a following Act as well, which will highlight (as someone just mentioned) the actual loss of sovereignty in the transition period (as opposed to the present gammon's perceived loss) as well as bunch of other probably unforeseen issues that Parliament will have to agree on.

The example given was the original vote in '75 that required dozens of pieces of legislation to fully enact. May will need a majority for a similar legislative program. She's currently on -200...

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we'd be having Brexit if we had PR. We absolutely need it ASAP as FPTP is the cause of so many unwanted consequences, first and foremost the two party system.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need an alternate voting system, because this baby needs more NHS nurses.

How will the army get body armour if we had PR?
Also, we already had a referendum, we can't have another...

I wonder if a lot of Tories are secretly wanting the troubles to re-ignite. They're probably thinking that a good bit of sectarian terrorism will do wonders for their popularity compared to peacenik terrorist-sympathiser Corbyn. After all, George Bush was a laughing stock with low popularity until 911 saved him. I hope I'm being overly cynical.

I expect we'll get amendments soon, to allow May's deal to pass with the rider that parliament gets votes on single market and customs union access during the negotiations.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

I don't recall Barnier being that blunt. I'm wondering if he was told to put some extra pressure/prepare for the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.