• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I may not have posted very often in the old thread, but I'm really glad to see this back - it's a fairly vital source of reassurance that at least some people in the country are still sane.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I was waiting for this to be posted! Great to see everyone has managed to take back control and regain our democracy.

JonathanEx

Oct 25, 2017
Resetera means Resetera.

Just don't let the Tories know we're here, they'll demand a list of everything discussed and who by, so the Daily Mail can write us up as traitors for Britain.

Remember: It's important that students are exposes to all views at university, EXCEPT if they're anti-Brexit views.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Honestly if the Mail wrote me up as a traitor to Britain I'd wear it as a badge of pride.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Windrunner has the right of it.

Brexit also means TAKING BACK CONTROL. Of what exactly, we're not quite sure just yet.
It means taking back control of our destiny as a sovereign nation.

It also means that taking control of being sovereignty fucked due to incompetence and the misunderstanding that the UK has any worldwide stroke, inherent value or future.

Taking back control of planning our own roast.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes we are back! Now we have taken back our sovereignty we can plot our own course and make Britain great again!

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love the fact Parliament was nearly hoodwinked before Davis fucked up and let it slip the deal might be done before parliament gets a vote..... I bet May went nuclear when she realised the gaff he had made

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look, the Daily Mail is going full Chinese levels of propaganda

HSgCKTE.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Thank fuck this is back. You lot have no idea how many times I asked for British PolGAF discord links over the weekend.

I hereby christen this group...RemoanERA!

All aboard the express train to sovereignty!

dl0xyxK.gif

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
"A second Tory MP" is a pretty glorified description of Dorries.

"A figure that unconfirmed witnesses described as possibly two idiot children wearing a trenchcoat and a hat" is more accurate.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who missed Lord Buckethead's reply to that university Brexit letter...

tumblr_oyfb08kxdr1t0grs4o1_1280.jpg

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unpopular opinion incoming, but with the rest of Europe moving to the right (if elections are evidence of such) perhaps coming out for a while wont be so bad, you never know, the UK might in time become the most centrist country (perhaps France did not go right in elections)

Oct 25, 2017
Lolled at that mail headline in the middle of a lecture. Hmm, now why would people at university be remain...

Not wanting to call non-uni people stupid mind, but we're at least better informed and more aware of the benefits of multiculturalism

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to why you would think that?

I can see that reasoning, the reality is we don't know how things will go when we have left (long term) no one does, what we do know is we are about to wipe out a generation, and that is wrong, in 20 years time it may be the best thing we could of done, but conversely it may be the worst thing we could have done, I don't subscribe to this notion that as a nation we are now fucked for eternity, but as I said this hurts anyone from 10 to 35 for the next 20 years, anyone being born from 2020 has half a chance things will be ok

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
unpopular opinion incoming, but with the rest of Europe moving to the right (if elections are evidence of such) perhaps coming out for a while wont be so bad, you never know, the UK might in time become the most centrist country (perhaps France did not go right in elections)

The rest of Europe isn't "moving to the right", especially when comparing it to the UK, who currently has a Tory government (with an embarrassing human rights record- amnesty international link) together with the Northern Ireland Democratic Unionists Party. Then take into account the propagandist behaviour of David Davis condemning UK MEPs for not being in line with Brexit (https://www.politico.eu/article/guy...tch-hunt-by-david-davis-against-british-meps/), plus the new Remoaner University horrendousness.

Plus the UK's sinister history of deportation, unwillingness to take in refugees, etc etc etc.

To contrast Germany's recent vote, the SPD (labour equivalent) will probably become the biggest opposition party so that the right-wing AfD is being sidelined, making them functionally useless (do correct me if I'm wrong here GermanERAs (?)).

So, by any definition, the UK isn't centrist at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't subscribe to this notion that as a nation we are now fucked for eternity, but as I said this hurts anyone from 10 to 35 for the next 20 years

An age bracket current university students are pretty much smack bang in the middle of. Why are they anti-Brexit, again?

More seriously, uni students being anti-Brexit doesn't mean shit if they vote for a hard Brexiteer.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I personally think that Brexit will be seen positively in the future. Even though, at the time I voted remain.

Da, comrade. Very positive for Mother Russia.

Joking aside, I don't think Britain displaying regressive, jingoistic and isolationist tendencies at a time when the world has never been more interconnected, and we've never needed to be more connected to a more powerful collective than we do right now, could possibly be seen as a positive by any serious and well-informed minds.

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An age bracket current university students are pretty much smack bang in the middle of. Why are they anti-Brexit, again?

More seriously, uni students being anti-Brexit doesn't mean shit if they vote for a hard Brexiteer.

Brexit to me feels like a runaway train, and there is two tracks, one has one person on it and other has five people on it, which track do you send the train down? the one person being the current generation, the 5 people being the future

There is no stopping the train

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Brexit to me feels like a runaway train, and there is two tracks, one has one person on it and other has five people on it, which track do you send the train down? the one person being the current generation, the 5 people being the future

Problem is, both aren't good outcomes. So whichever way you look at it, Brexit is going to be bad. That's maybe not the best way to run a country.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a bystander on a bridge which overlooks the tracks and I push Boris and Farage over the railing and onto the tracks

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Been needing this back.

But Jesus at the Mail and Mogg. It really does seem like not automatically being in favour of Brexit is being treated as 'bias' in the current regime.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Greetings fellow traitors. I hope we can get some good posts in before we are all rounded up and sent to the Tower.
At least moving forums is easier than moving to France or Germany..

Shocked that university lecturers on European studies might be anti-Brexit. It's almost as if they've studied the subject in detail and come to the conclusion that Brexit will be a poor choice. Unthinkable!
I guess the silver lining for them is that Brexit will provide enough lecture/dissertation/thesis material to keep them in work for the rest of their lives.

Norfolk Enchants

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is, both aren't good outcomes. So whichever way you look at it, Brexit is going to be bad. That's maybe not the best way to run a country.

Exactly, but we have been told a hundred times there is no stopping Brexit, (other posters may disagree) so if it is going ahead as much as it pains me, there is about to be a generation of people affected by this, but we all knew that, the train has to go down the one person track

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, but we have been told a hundred times there is no stopping Brexit, (other posters may disagree) so if it is going ahead as much as it pains me, there is about to be a generation of people affected by this, but we all knew that, the train has to go down the one person track
Oh, I know - I just hate the whole There Is No Alternative argument. It also doesn't help that this wasn't a runaway train - we put the train on the tracks, started it off and are beginning to see the results.

This metaphor might have run it's course, but the NewStatesman is doing a feature this week on how Brexit is already affecting us.

Talapia

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Da, comrade. Very positive for Mother Russia.

Joking aside, I don't think Britain displaying regressive, jingoistic and isolationist tendencies at a time when the world has never been more interconnected, and we've never needed to be more connected to a more powerful collective than we do right now, could possibly be seen as a positive by any serious and well-informed minds.

The problem with the EU is if the leadership makes a big mistake, that's a whole lot of countries going down with it. For example, I look at what happened to Greece, and I wonder why it isn't reported anymore. Did the country get better, or did the news stop giving a damn?

Not only that, but I heard legitimate reasons to want the UK to split from the EU which made a lot of sense. Particularly, the fact that it appears to me that the EU is far too interested in supporting corporations (see the European Commission planning to create a law which forces websites to host a "Content ID" like system, or the fact that the full study on piracy was hidden for 4 years). Which is why I didn't understand the campaign used by those in favour of Brexit at the time. The NHS lie was obviously never going to happen.

The reason I voted to remain was due to the fact that I hadn't heard a good reason to stay from the leave campaign.

Oct 25, 2017

Brexit means Brexit.

Windrunner has the right of it.

Brexit also means TAKING BACK CONTROL. Of what exactly, we're not quite sure just yet.

You give an incompetent bunch of ego maniacs the keys to the kingdom and demand they do something no matter how damaging or stupid it is.
Thanks a lot, clears things up.

Next question...

What colour is Brexit?

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the EU is if the leadership makes a big mistake, that's a whole lot of countries going down with it. For example, I look at what happened to Greece, and I wonder why it isn't reported anymore. Did the country get better, or did the news stop giving a damn?

Not only that, but I heard legitimate reasons to want the UK to split from the EU which made a lot of sense. Particularly, the fact that it appears to me that the EU is far too interested in supporting corporations (see the European Commission planning to create a law which forces websites to host a "Content ID" like system, or the fact that the full study on piracy was hidden for 4 years). Which is why I didn't understand the campaign used by those in favour of Brexit at the time. The NHS lie was obviously never going to happen.

The reason I voted to remain was due to the fact that I hadn't heard a good reason to stay from the leave campaign.

Ultimately my position and that of most remainers is that the EU is far from a perfect institution, but its positives outweigh its pitfalls to an absurd degree. Once you've stripped away the bull from the Leave campaigns and the gutter press about what the EU is, what it does and how it operates, it's plain to see that it is much more a force for good, for co-operation and shared interests than it is for anything nefarious.

To bring it back around to the original point we were getting at, on the basis I've described, I still don't see how existing the EU will eventually be seen as a positive in time. Sure, you'll have Leavers who would talk til they're blue in the face about how they definitely voted the right way and things are better now. But academics, business leaders, 'experts', etc. will all say the opposite. The cold-hard data about the UK's economic circumstance simply doesn't the view that we will be a more prosperous nation outside of the current trading bloc.

Thanks a lot, clears things up.

Next question...

What colour is Brexit?

50 shades of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.