• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's not going to be a resignation. It's going to be some tough talks and a restating of red lines. Red meat to the base

Along with a few shouty 'back to square one' comments about Labour.

I imagine she'll be making exactly the same speech as she did after Salzburg, utterly detached from reality. The responses to questions from the ERG and other Brexiteers will be the most interesting, tbh.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, May only has tomorrow before the EU summit. So something has to give, if she gives another 'no deal is better than a bad deal' speech, then they might as well commit to no deal now and save tomorrow and the day after.

She won't stand down, she's too obsessed with being PM to do that.

Chequers it is.

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Two years later, and our government still can't negotiate with the EU because it's still arguing with itself.

In this case, arguing against a backstop that it originally proposed.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
It'll be nothing like the last surprise speech.

Would not be surprised if it was a rerun of her "trying to look hard" speech last time.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Steve Baker, former brexit minister thinks it's all staged, the idea the PM is only pretending to not be in control isn't very comforting.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Could be hitting peak Brexit negotiation shitstorm.
We've been reaching peak Brexit negotiation each passing day for the past six months.

At this point this feels like the political equivalent of edging fetishism.

We just don't know if it'll be May or Boris the one providing that much needed if probably still disappointing release.

That's a mental image for you all.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Nothing has changed, the motto of this government is still "Nothing has changed".

The Tories are going to "Nothing has changed" their way into a No Deal that destroys the UK.

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with May's position is that she has to convince either the EU than the backstop should have a time limit, or the hard Brexiteers within her party that the backstop shouldn't have a time limit, and she has little credibility with either audience, certainly not enough for them to take her at her word. Indeed, she appears to be trying a third option, which is to agree to a time limit in principle, but say that she personally doesn't think it'll be required so nobody needs to make a big deal out of actually getting it in writing. Considering the hardcore Brexiteers that are looking to take over the party are explicitly planning on running down the clock on any backstop deal, they're not going to go for anything that isn't explicitly agreed with the EU (who, of course, aren't going to agree to anything of the sort).

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

We're completely fucked. Brexit as a 'matter of faith' means reason has left the building and we're doing it regardless.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This will all fall apart this week. Even if there's a bit of choreography between May and the EU (and I think there is to a point: there's no agreement but I think there's enough wiggle room to give May a 'win' on Wednesday and gain access to the November summit) I think you'll see a leadership challenge and the DUP formally ending the informal confidence and supply deal

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corbyn and McDonnel needs to storm parliament like its the winter palace in 1917 at this point, only way May will ever leave

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
These questions in Parliament just show what an absolute fucking mess we're in. Various flavours of 'we can't be in a customs union', 'we should have another vote', 'we should leave with no deal', 'we should be in a customs union', 'a customs union is illegal' etc etc I can't imagine anything that would effectively get through Parliament at present.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
These questions in Parliament just show what an absolute fucking mess we're in. Various flavours of 'we can't be in a customs union', 'we should have another vote', 'we should leave with no deal', 'we should be in a customs union', 'a customs union is illegal' etc etc I can't imagine anything that would effectively get through Parliament at present.

When the "Will of the people" is 20 different things.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
My stream just crapped out and gave me an old school tv test card and the persistent *bleep* noise - pretty apt tbh.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hmm May just wobbled a bit on peoples vote. Says if Parliament votes down her deal she'd have to take account of what parliament wants to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.