• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So i've been reading up on the EU preparedness notice for a no deal on travel and there's some interesting stuff for people who regularly travel to the UK (or from the UK to the EU).

On drivers licences:

According to Union law,89 driving licences issued by Member States of the EU are mutually recognised.90 As of the withdrawal date, this mutual recognition will no longer be compulsory as a matter of EU law. Instead, an international agreement, the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic,91 will apply.

The United Kingdom and all but four Member States (Ireland, Cyprus, Malta and Spain) are parties to this Convention which provides for the recognition of national driving licences and international driving permits issued by contracting states in accordance with this Convention. The four EU Member States (Ireland, Cyprus, Malta and Spain) which are not parties to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic are parties to a previous international agreement, to which the United Kingdom is also a party 92.This agreement provides for the recognition of driving licences, but parties to this agreement may also require the holders of driving licences to be in possession of an International Driving Permit. Holders of UK driving licences who intend to drive in the EU are therefore advised to contact the responsible Member State authorities regarding the recognition rules for driving licences. Holders of European Union driving licences who intend to drive in the United Kingdom are advised to contact the responsible authority in the United Kingdom regarding the recognition rules for their driving licences.

On healthcare:

Union law100 provides for access to healthcare during temporary stay abroad based on European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or, for planned treatments, based on the prior authorisation by the relevant competent institution (e.g. the institution with which the person concerned is insured). Costs of such healthcare are reimbursed between the relevant institutions of the Member States involved. As of the withdrawal date, these rules no longer apply vis-à-vis the United Kingdom.101 This means the following:  As of the withdrawal date, nationals of EU-27 Member States and their family members will not be able to access healthcare for unexpected care in the United Kingdom on the basis of EHIC. UK nationals will not be able to access healthcare in the EU-27 on the basis of EHIC as of the withdrawal date. Persons insured in an EU-27 Member State and intending to travel in the United Kingdom are advised to query with the institution with which they are insured whether it will reimburse healthcare accessed in a third country. The same applies to persons insured in the United Kingdom and intending to travel in the EU-27. Where reimbursement is not ensured, persons concerned should consider taking out private travel insurance.  As of the withdrawal date, prior authorisations for planned treatments in the United Kingdom can no longer be issued by EU-27 Member States on the basis of Union law. No prior authorisations can be issued by the United Kingdom for planned treatments in the EU-27 on the basis of Union law.

On prescriptions:

Union law107 obliges Member States to recognise cross-border medical prescriptions of medicinal products or medical devices issued in another Member State. A medical prescription issued in the United Kingdom, as of the withdrawal date, will no longer be recognised in an EU-27 Member State on the basis of Union law.

Also Card Payments will suck again and roaming charges will be back :(

9.1. Card payments131 While the acceptance of debit or credit cards for payment transactions depends on the respective preferences of merchants, Union law132 sets limits to interchange fees charged to merchants in respect of such transactions. These rules only apply where both the payer's payment service provider and the payee's payment service provider are located in the EU. 133 As of the withdrawal date, transactions between the EU-27 and the United Kingdom will no longer be covered by the EU rules limiting interchange fees. Provided that merchants are allowed to apply surcharges on consumers for card payments, this may lead to a higher surcharge for card payments.

9.2. Roaming134 Union law135 on roaming services prohibits any surcharge on roaming customers by the roaming provider (i.e. the domestic provider of mobile communications services - voice, SMS or data services) operating in an EU Member State in addition to the domestic retail price when travelling in the EU. As of the withdrawal date, this obligation in Union law on the roaming provider will no longer apply either to roaming providers operating in the United Kingdom whenever their customers are roaming in the EU, or to roaming providers operating in the EU whenever their customers are roaming in the United Kingdom. Nevertheless, roaming providers operating in a Member State will remain subject to the obligation in Union law to inform their customers about the roaming charges for the services provided applicable whenever they travel to the United Kingdom.

Regionlock for online content is also back:

Union law on portability of online content services138 allows EU consumers who buy or subscribe in their Member State of residence to online content services - to watch films or sporting events, listen to music, download e-books or play games - to continue accessing these services without additional costs when they travel or stay temporarily in other EU Member States (cross-border portability). As of the withdrawal date, this obligation in Union law will no longer apply to providers of paid online content services in the EU-27 when their customers travel in the United Kingdom. Also, as of the withdrawal date, this obligation in Union law will no longer apply to providers of paid online content services in the United Kingdom when their customers travel in the EU. This means that customers of paid online content services in the EU-27 and in the United Kingdom may not be able to access the online content services they have subscribed to in the EU and in the United Kingdom respectively when travelling in the United Kingdom or the EU respectively, or may have a limited access to the service (e.g. access to a different catalogue).

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling.pdf

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At some point can and both feet will eventually reach the cliff, though.
well the UK really needs to decide before 2020 which would bring it into a new EU budget. The implementation period covers that so with a change of government that isn't so ideologically suicidal they'd still have plenty of time to hash something out and send it to a second ref by the end of next year.

Oct 25, 2017
First reaction: Good.

Second: Then what.

Labour's strategy is contingent on the deal failing causing a General Election, which I reckon won't happen. So then we move on to 2nd Ref as what can be successfully put through parliament.

Regardless I would've thought this deal would go through, unless enough of the Cabinet is willing to topple May in full knowledge that the only figures left in the party to take over are Mogg and Johnson.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
I guess some of them are wondering if they might have a chance to get a spot in the post-May Tory government, if it comes to that.

Bonus: Nicola Sturgeon:

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017

RkWqZT3.gif

Edit: I wanted to post this in the other thread, but I guess this works here too.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
That comparison can't be made for another two years. Remember, this is just the withdrawal agreement. The UK's future relationship with the EU will be negotiated next (and can *only* be negotiated once the leaving date has passed)
I'm talking about things like taking certain rules and having no say on them, not our trading agreements.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Reading twitter you'd think May is the only person voting for this.

Love how everyone makes statements before reading 600 pages of EU text.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If the UK's 'stakeholders' - cabinet, paraliament, the DUP - don't agree to this deal, is there enough time before the end of the year to come up with something else?

Would May lead the renegotiation? I mean if May were to resign, I'm not sure how they could get in position to renegotiate by the end of the year.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
The way she talked about Ireland in that quote was really horrifying. In "cahoots"? I think it's that kind of arrogant and careless talk that's going to improve the odds for eventual reunification on the island.

Kate Hoey is a transplanted DUP person basically. Think of her in that way and her positions make more sense. Remember for many years she had the most homophobic voting record in the Labour Party despite representing Vauxhall.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The Quantum Brexit Deal by UK
Both happening for sure this time and totally dead at the same time.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Kate Hoey is a transplanted DUP person basically. Think of her in that way and her positions make more sense. Remember for many years she had the most homophobic voting record in the Labour Party despite representing Vauxhall.

Aha, quite true: but Kate's rhetoric about Ireland sounds very Tory too, and that's part of what concerns me. Remember that backbencher who thought everyone was entitled to an Irish passport? And the GFA, after all, does allow the theoretical possibility or reunification so long as enough people in Northern Ireland want it. I guess everyone suddenly wants to test it now?

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Cabinet ministers: "Can I really get myself to read 600 pages of EU gobbledigook before resigning? Ugh, if I only knew the extend of this!"

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
UK stays in customs union but british fishers still get fucked.

What a masterpiece deal by May.

Mr Barnier inserted into the draft text some of the most severe restrictions placed on any country outside of the single market. This includes the UK abiding by the EU's competition and state-aid rules, even if they change in future, and paying due regard to European Court of Justice rulings in this area.

So-called non-regression clauses are also included in the agreement, which sets a floor on environmental rules, labour policy and taxation. This would bind London to existing policies that are deeply unpopular with some Conservative MPs, including the working-time directive and targets for renewable energy. "We're not trying to be overzealous," said one EU diplomat handing Brexit. "But there isn't the trust left to do anything else." One worry for Downing Street is the risk that EU member states may press for even more stringent conditions. France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and Italy have all called for EU negotiators to go further, so Britain would "dynamically align" with the bloc across all areas covered by the "level playing field".

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Every conservative bad actor will become a counterfactual master negotiator in the next 24 hours. Their counterfactual plan would have been to be tougher on the EU.

Oct 25, 2017
Bahhahaha, all that noise about the fishermen ended up (as expected) being nothing.
So what's left now, the deal failing to pass through parliament and we're back to square one, right?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
From what I am reading, MP's believe if they keep voting it down, it leads to a new referendum, as parliament will be dead locked so the answer is to go back to the people. Now the caveat comes in what May does, as I am positive she will say if this is voted down I will collapse the party

A new GE election means Labour will finally have to lay their plans out, but we will need a new Tory Leader first, and if it is Johnson, a GE becomes a referendum by default

Oct 31, 2017
From what I am reading, MP's believe if they keep voting it down, it leads to a new referendum, as parliament will be dead locked so the answer is to go back to the people. Now the caveat comes in what May does, as I am positive she will say if this is voted down I will collapse the party

A new GE election means Labour will finally have to lay their plans out, but we will need a new Tory Leader first, and if it is Johnson, a GE becomes a referendum by default
The problem with this view is that it doesn't take into account any of the problems that exist on the EU side with such a lengthy extension. Anything past May and the UK would need to hold EU elections, which would not only throw the plans to reorganise the parliament into chaos but also make the campaign in the UK even more chaotic as Do you hold both at the same time? How would that work in practice? How long would it take to find a whole new set of candidates when many existing ones have already made other plans?

The default position is no deal and if the UK wants to hold a GE, I don't see talks starting up again for at least 9 months as it'll take time for any new government to decide what it wants. Everything would essentially be back at square one!

Status
Not open for further replies.