• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
This whole debate idea is meaningless political theatre. Two brexiteers arguing about current terrible deal that's worse than remaining versus unicorn slightly less terrible deal that's worse than remaining and has no time to be negotiated. And as PJV3 says, without a public vote at the end what's the point? It just seems like a bizarre hail mary play by the PM, to try and get the public inside in the belief that will pressure MPs to go along with her shitty deal.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the ITV debate, it's simpler and there will be less wasted airtime, not that i fully get having one without a public vote at the end
It might be entertaining if they don't back down, they can talk to each other via television or something.

I'd like to see them both addressing their points to empty chairs, Clint Eastwood style.

QImmQZx.jpg
bF3o9VV.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
See we can be even more of a laughing stock than we already are, i really hope nobody backs down.

I don't think either of them can back down. After all this is supposed to be about who can negotiate the best deal for the country with regards to Brexit, so whoever capitulates is going to look weak (which will inevitably be highlighted in the debate by the other).

Of course, the irony is that because they apparently can't agree to a compromise on the debate format, they both look like incompetent negotiators, and neither should be trusted to organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone one of the most complex and difficult political negotiations of modern times.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A short Twitter thread full of juicy stuff thanks to a cabinet minister being too loud in a restaurant.

the best one
Truss: My new vision is all about the roads. We need to push to get company sponsorship for the Top 10 motorways. Like they have in the USA where Burger King sponsor pot holes. We'll wait until the New Year though because obviously now everything is consumed by Brexit.

Burger King sponsored pot holes

this has got to be some AI generated text

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As I said above, she can not, Parliament can, but everything I am reading is saying she would need parliaments approval, and I don't see a majority for that, unless it was tailored to a 'we are going to withdraw to better prepare ourselves' but the EU would do its nut if the UK withdrew to basically get a better deal
Ifffff they do rule the UK can unilaterally cancel brexit that would be a net positive and a huge hand grenade thrown into the process late on. It would remove the ability to blame the EU for everything and expand the choice to May's deal, no deal and cancel article 50.

If the commons don't vote in agreement of either, you have to imagine voting to cancel the whole thing, even if the intent is to restart the entire process would start looking a lot more appealing as April approaches.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If the commons don't vote in agreement of either, you have to imagine voting to cancel the whole thing, even if the intent is to restart the entire process would start looking a lot more appealing as April approaches.

It's dicey, especially considering the fate of an entire country is at stake, but the only way I see things working out is if No Deal is staring us in the face come March, and a majority of MPs finally twig that they're about to be responsible for the biggest self-inflicted economic-shock this country has faced since Black Wednesday.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The Grieve amendment is huge, if that goes through it would mean a Norway Brexit, basically it says if first vote loses Parliament will then decide next step, not the Gov

OP
OP
theaface

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be mildly hilarious? If the Government was found to be in contempt by a tiny voting margin, and the votes that swung it were caused by opposition parties not obeying pairing etiquette. The irony would be delicious indeed.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I see the conservatives are trying to bury the issue until after the vote by referring it to the Commons Privileges Committee.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we not just realise the best deal is remain, always has been and end this nonsense. It better lead to that and not a pointless deal.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The Grieve amendment is huge, if that goes through it would mean a Norway Brexit, basically it says if first vote loses Parliament will then decide next step, not the Gov
This ignores the fact that there are other parties in play here. The UK cannot just unilaterally decide to do Norway. that requires agreement on the part of all other EFTA members and the rEU27.

Oct 25, 2017
BBC has pulled out of the debate race:

Maybe my bias is showing but it did sound like a bit of a mess, even if a wider spectrum of Brexit opinions is probably more reflective of the nation.

Not sure how Corbyn is gonna fair with a head to head, he's just gonna get drowned for 'not having a position' ad infinitum.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Can we not just realise the best deal is remain, always has been and end this nonsense. It better lead to that and not a pointless deal.

The public don't want to remain and don't want another vote - so remaining as things stand would be pretty terrible at "ending it".

That being said, there seem to be very few paths that stop Brexit being synonymous with British politics for like the next 10 years.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Number 10 and the BBC working in cahoots was incredibly shabby and damaging to our democracy, so I'm glad their little game didn't pay off.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The public don't want to remain and don't want another vote - so remaining as things stand would be pretty terrible at "ending it".

That being said, there seem to be very few paths that stop Brexit being synonymous with British politics for like the next 10 years.

To be fair can't say for sure what the public want. Maybe ask them.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This ignores the fact that there are other parties in play here. The UK cannot just unilaterally decide to do Norway. that requires agreement on the part of all other EFTA members and the rEU27.

Can you do a Norway without the EFTA bit?
I'm unsure how that works seeing as the member states set it up themselves.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe my bias is showing but it did sound like a bit of a mess, even if a wider spectrum of Brexit opinions is probably more reflective of the nation.

Not sure how Corbyn is gonna fair with a head to head, he's just gonna get drowned for 'not having a position' ad infinitum.

Fucking hell a Brexit edition of the bloody One Show

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah, but could the UK have a Norway style agreement but as a solo nation outside EFTA?, EFTA was set up by the countries in it, not the EU if i understand correctly.
I guess the UK could start it's own free trade area.
I propose the UKFTA. Finally people from Edinburgh will be able to freely trade with people from Birmingham.

I dunno how it works in detail to be honest.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron

The debate plan was awful, good to hear it's not going ahead.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't understand why the government does this stuff to itself, they really are hopeless.
It just looks bad now whatever legal advice was given.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Contempt!

Bloody hell. Ministers found in contempt of Parliament. I honestly don't think anyone knows what to do next :D

More than anything, this shows May has no Majority.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
"Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, is opening the debate. She starts with general comments about Brexit. (Leadsom, of course, is an enthusiast for this project.) Labour's Kevin Brennan makes a point of order, and asks what relevance this is to the business motion.
Leadsom is now discussing the business motion now".

lol, nutter.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what they are hiding. Is it something really embarrassing like the rest of world 'allies' particularly think the UK are morons for doing anything other than remaining that will cost them hugely on the world stage or that the UK can or can't wiggle it's way of everything in the deal, sshh don't tell anyone.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the Commons, is opening the debate. She starts with general comments about Brexit. (Leadsom, of course, is an enthusiast for this project.) Labour's Kevin Brennan makes a point of order, and asks what relevance this is to the business motion.
Leadsom is now discussing the business motion now".

lol, nutter.
Yeah, mental. Still has the nerve to say trade outside the EU is the place to be even though it doesn't add up. Clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.