• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure at this point this was staged. It strengthens her position at this juncture by making it impossible to remove her for the next year which means that Tories will then hold off a general election for at least another year. She wants to sell "It's my way or Corbyn" to try and scare her party into voting for her deal.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure at this point this was staged. It strengthens her position at this juncture by making it impossible to remove her for the next year which means that Tories will then hold off a general election for at least another year. She wants to sell "It's my way or Corbyn" to try and scare her party into voting for her deal.
The rumours are that she could offer to tell them she will stand down before another general election

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The rumours are that she could offer to tell them she will stand down before another general election

Wasn't it pretty much confirmed today (as opposed to stil rumour) )

He just comes across as bad tempered and frustrated. He doesn't have the improv skills. Thought he did better on Monday. She has come out of PMQ stronger than before (not saying much).

She was fighting for her (political) life, so she had to try (not that I disagree with you).

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
He just comes across as bad tempered and frustrated. He doesn't have the improv skills. Thought he did better on Monday. She has come out of PMQ stronger than before (not saying much).

The line of attack that would weaken her today would just look like party political point scoring, that's best left to backbenchers.
A bit of a damned if you do or don't situation.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't think it'll be enough, unless suddenly the DUP get on board with this deal. Offer them the sea bridge?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Slightly off-topic, but in a sadistic way seeing comments like the below make me want a no deal Brexit just so these cunts can suffer.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Number of MPs murdered by Syrians in the last 10 years...

Number of MPs murdered by white nationalists in the last 10 years...

Nazi fucking cunts.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing has changed since this morning for me- I still think she will win tonight's vote comfortably, albeit with a few privately stabbing her in the back after publicly offering their support.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
James O'brien with the best monologues.

https://amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/present...tories-theresa-may/?__twitter_impression=true

"If this was football, they would have received red cards months ago. In almost any other sphere, ignorance and incompetence displayed on a scale in the last six months would have been punishable by professional death. A red card.
"If you don't know the importance of Dover and Calais while you're supposed to be negotiating Brexit - it's an early bath for you Dominic Raab.
"If you can spend two years as Secretary of State for exiting the European Union and achieve precisely nothing before waltzing off in a hissy fit after the grown-ups had to come in and undo some of the mess that you made, it's an early bath for you David Davis.
"If you can prioritise personal advancement and ambition above the national interest in the same way that you have prioritised personal satisfaction above everything from your party to your marriage, it's an early bath for you Boris Johnson.
"And still they come. And still they claim. And still they lie."

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If this vote gets rid of the Tory eurosceptics and lunatics, that's a good thing. Means remainers are in control so once May's deal is voted down she could be pushed to a different position without ERG etc. in her ear, they become meaningless and remain positions will be the sole priority.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
May rules out leading Tories into 2022 general election

Piecing together the various accounts of what Theresa May told the 1922 Committee, it is now becoming clear that she said. But it has taken a while. ("Typical May," a colleague says. "She tries to deliver a message, but no one can agree what she said.)

May told MPs clearly that she would not fight the general election in 2022. Because she has repeatedly ruled out calling a snap general election, in her mind this is the next general election.

As for what might happen if there were an election before 2022, on that she was non-committal. An MP in the room said she made the point that she would then be asked to commit to standing down in 2021, or in 2020, or even next year.

So, if there were to be an early election, it is possible she could still seek to lead her party into it.

But the commitment to go before a 2022 election did make an impact, the MP said. "It was much more clear than the briefing you guys were given earlier," he said. "It did make a difference."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-in-may-amid-brexit-uncertainty-politics-live (timestamp 18:23) (bold emphasis in middle is mine).

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
If this vote gets rid of the Tory eurosceptics and lunatics, that's a good thing. Means remainers are in control so once May's deal is voted down she could be pushed to a different position without ERG etc. in her ear, they become meaningless and remain positions will be the sole priority.
I hope this happens, but something tells me they're going nowhere (and neither will their attacks on remain/soft brexit and anyone who tries to support it).

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017

This is my only hope if she wins the vote (which looks incredibly likely).

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't need to step aside if she doesn't deliver an orderly Brexit, then!

Roll-Safe-Think-About-It.jpg

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
There is a lot of chatter from MPs that Tory MPs had met with Labour to come to a concencus on a way forward. The two discussed option was a Norway deal or a second referendum. The referendum was the more popular choice

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Except their main threat isn't getting rid of May, it's the swing they have on a commons vote. May there or not, they can still vote against any deal.
Right, every tory who votes against May today is a tory who 100% isn't voting for her deal next month, and that's ignoring that there are likely people voting for May who will vote against the deal. This vote gives us a bare minimum number for the number of defectors for the Brexit deal vote.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this happens, but something tells me they're going nowhere (and neither will their attacks on remain/soft brexit and anyone who tries to support it).

It will certainly take the wind out of their sails, they'll just have to harmlessly snipe and bitch away in the background.
Except their main threat isn't getting rid of May, it's the swing they have on a commons vote. May there or not, they can still vote against any deal.

Very good point.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
While this vote is going on, the DUP have said that they'll only accept fundamental changes to the legal text. Not clarifications or addendums or political declarations. So in breaking news, May's deal is still dead.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, every tory who votes against May today is a tory who 100% isn't voting for her deal next month, and that's ignoring that there are likely people voting for May who will vote against the deal. This vote gives us a bare minimum number for the number of defectors for the Brexit deal vote.
And those defectors could be ignored now they're teethless. The ERG loses its leverage

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And those defectors could be ignored now they're teethless. The ERG loses its leverage
How are they teethless? Let's say 60 tories voted against May, and they all vote against the deal.

They've still got a lot of leverage because they can still kill the deal, unless a surprising amount of Labour MPs suddenly decide to vote for May's deal.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
While this vote is going on, the DUP have said that they'll only accept fundamental changes to the legal text. Not clarifications or addendums or political declarations. So in breaking news, May's deal is still dead.
Yeah just saw that:

Labour were wise to not call for a confidence vote yet, DUP could end up siding with the opposition when the time comes if May wins the vote tonight, stays on as leader and can't be challenged by the Tories again for a year. She's unlikely to get the DUP's desired changes to her withdrawal agreement, so what options are the DUP left with? They're at least going to vote her deal down for sure.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are they teethless? Let's say 60 tories voted against May, and they all vote against the deal.

They've still got a lot of leverage because they can still kill the deal, unless a surprising amount of Labour MPs suddenly decide to vote for May's deal.
It's less about her deal and what comes after. If she has the chance to make a deal with remain Tories and Labour for a referendum then she'll do it. If there's no desire for her plan then something will give, but she's not needing to placate those who try to oust her.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Jacob Rees-Mogg, the Tory Brexiter, said Theresa May had notably "hedged her bets" on whether she might stay on long enough if not ousted to fight the next election. Speaking after the 1922 Committee meeting earlier, he said:

She said that in her heart she would like to fight the 2022 election, but that she recognised the party did not want her to, and therefore it was not her intention to.

But the word 'intention' is a classic politicians' words, because intentions can change. She didn't say, 'I will not be the leader in 2022,' she said it was not her intention.

She was asked, if there was an election within the next year, would you stand down, and she mumbled.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-in-may-amid-brexit-uncertainty-politics-live (timestamp 20:21)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm betting 200 votes against May. Then she will say "I stand ready to finish the job and deliver the Brexit the people voted for". Then she will shed a single tear of pure darkness, and speak no more for the rest of her days.

Status
Not open for further replies.