• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I personally think it's a bit too optimistic to think that EU will agree to an extension.

Promises to sort shit out are meaningless when we've proven we can't be trusted to sort our own shit out already.

I was listening to a brexitcast and they felt if it come to it, the EU would extend, but they felt it would go to the wire, like last day wire...businesses must be doing their nut

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to a brexitcast and they felt if it come to it, the EU would extend, but they felt it would go to the wire, like last day wire...businesses must be doing their nut

I just don't see it considering everything. We could even promise "Right after this GE/Referendum/new PM, we'll sort this out" but I don't think the EU would trust us.

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong and they do extend it but I don't see it.

Right now, I see May Deal, Remain, No Deal will happen. No extension.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
May is cutting it close. Knowing her luck London gets snowed in and delays the vote again to Sunday 20th January at 11.50pm.

Frankly, they should take no deal off the table and have May's deal or rescind Article 50. As delaying the vote to the last minute using fear of a no deal to force her deal through is as bad.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Here.

Just struck me as something that might be funny in future use. For good or ill...
5YmR6wr.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
But May made a very important point, she said the EU have said that whatever is decided nothing will happen until this WA is signed.

isn't their position that this is all that can be done under the circumstances, that was the background diplomatic chatter from the summit, which is fair enough, you don't undermine a sitting government.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Again?

Make up your mind!

Also May can literally nope.

For those not au fait: This was is not a confidence vote in statue against the government that can cause an Election but an opposition day motion that'll just he embarrassing for the PM.

She could just say there is no parliamentary time and ignore this.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't blame the speaker, seems a bit pointless now the moment has passed, he should have come to the chamber without the setting a date pre condition.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
What are the ramifications of a personal vote of no confidence?

Legally? Fuck all. The PM's position doesn't rely on the confidence of the House, only the Government does.

Politically? It'd be deeply humiliating. It should force her to resign, but I don't think she'd resign even if she lost a proper VoNC.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why wait until the end, would of been much more effective when the house was full

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it matters much from a practical standpoint, but it looks a bit indecisive and he's starting to get a reputation for playing political games with Brexit, one of his strengths when he became leader was being principled.

I just think it is interesting that the 'informed' commentary for the last week has been Jeremy Corbyn should take a bold action in the HoC then when he does the narrative immediately shifts to all the ways it was wrong, rather than how it will impact PM, govt and Brexit.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So, he does nothing, and he is lambasted; he does something, and is lambasted.

He could try doing something right. Ever think of that?

I mean the guy randomly chucks out a no confidence motion when people are leaving and his own deputy is on the radio saying May's answer satisfied them, and your response is to do a recreation of this argument:

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
There's no point in pushing for the vote of no confidence until enough Tory MPs flip or the DUP back down.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Corbyn either thinks May will not hear his motion or he has got the nod from the DUP that they will vote against May but not the entire government.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So last week a vote of no confidence was totally inopportune, but now on a whim is good. Really serious and professional politics happening there.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just think it is interesting that the 'informed' commentary for the last week has been Jeremy Corbyn should take a bold action in the HoC then when he does the narrative immediately shifts to all the ways it was wrong, rather than how it will impact PM, govt and Brexit.

It's not that bad, i think instead of demanding a date he should have demanded a debate ASAP, he's doing something at least, it's not easy when the government hold all the cards.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to and considering the feeling in the House of Commons is now a bad thing?
No it isn't and tactically it's the absolute right thing to do.

He was tantalisingly close to perfect in his tactics today but blotted his copy book when he looked like calling off proceedings when May said she would indeed hold a meaningful vote before the 21st...one parliamentary day before.

Nope may, nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.